Apple in next 10 years?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cyborg21, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Cyborg21 macrumors 6502

Cyborg21

I was thinking about switching to a Mac recently (iMac), but I have seen lots of comments on internet (even on Macrumors) like ''Apple will dissappear in next 10 years.'', ''Apple is dying without Jobs'' etc. I was thinking about work software is missing on macs than I started searcing, I found office for mac and iWork. They were both non-free software and they were pretty expensive. Than OS X Mavericks come out and Tim Cook said that iWork will came with macs for free. I felt happy then I've read comments about new iWork and everyone was complaining about how bad is new iWork! Everyone was saying Mavericks is bad. I'm really confused. I really liked iMac's design and OS X but I will use it for 5-6 years. Also iMacs are really expensive, I can afford it but I don't want to waste my money with a company that is disappearing. I've never used Macs. I don't want to belive that it's disappearing but: Is Apple is dying rant true :confused: :( ? (sorry for my bad english)

2. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

no one can predict the future. a decade is a long time from now, but whether or not apple remains relevant in 10 years from now all depends on iPhone.

3. abz1981 macrumors 65816

Why would it depend on an iPhone. A lot of industries such as the music and publishing industries use macs every day. People will always have a demand for apple products, because they just want something different than what Windows have to offer and the rest of them.

----------

Just relax and buy your mac products. apple have built up such a huge following of customers, that as long as they have the customers and keep bringing out products then apple will be fine. What you have to remember is that apple isn't a 1 or 2 man organisation. Thousands of people work or apple on products and software and so forth. So it's all good.

4. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I agree on just relaxing and buy apple stuff, I do . But do you understand the revenue iPhone brings apple?? If that failed and people stop buying istuff as much as I love apple they would be done.

5. abz1981 macrumors 65816

Yes the revenue is huge from the iPhones. However think back to the time when the iPhone wasn't around. I am sure :apple: were doing just fine then too.

6. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

But back then no phones were around. It was only Mac vs pc. No Samsung( direct apple competition ) no google . It's a different world . No iPhone no apple

7. octatonic macrumors regular

octatonic

We are rapidly getting to the point where computing power is largely meaningless, or at least less of an issue than it ever was for the majority of people.

I don't know about 10 years but certainly within 20 years we will see people's phones becoming their primary computing device and the ability to send to any display over wifi.

Apple will probably lead the way.

8. pastrychef, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013

pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Apple isn't going to disappear in 10 years. Even in the extremely unlikely event they suddenly go from most profitable tech company to a money loser over night, they have about $150B in cash to burn before they go in to debt! All that chatter about Apple being unable to survive without Steve and Tim being inept are nothing but FUD being spread by clueless stock market analysts and hedge funds.

Mavericks was released three days ago. For every person who says Mavericks is bad, there's another who says it's the best thing since sliced bread. Bugs exist on software, then they get fixed. That's why revision numbers to software are always advancing.

Stop believing everything you read on the internet, not all of it is true. Learn to differentiate opinion from fact. Learn to see FUD when it is being spread.

That being said, anyone who thinks Apple will be gone in 10 years, I have a bridge I want to sell him.

9. ekiro macrumors regular

Apple will disappear in 10 years? Oh please... I lost interest in this topic already.

They wouldn't be building a billion dollar head quarters if they didn't plan on sticking around.

Big companies like this aren't like people. You can't just shoot one dead and it's gone. It'll linger around for a while. And I believe Apple will be extremely selective in their hiring/reassigning process when it comes to the future execs/vps/board members.

10. photogineer macrumors newbie

Well, I'm not sure how many companies plan their demise, but still.... :rolleyes:

Seriously though, even if, Apple was doomed to be gone in 10 years... that's not really relevant today. I mean, 10 years ago I had completely different computers, software, hardware, everything.... in 10 years you'll have gone through more than a few pieces of tech, and software. Your investments from today will probably be gone, sold off or dusty in a box in someone's basement or garage, don't sweat it.

11. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

You sound arrogant and ignorant. Apples money maker are the iPhone and iPad. Macs aren't. When it comes to computers, Windows is king. If the iPhone and iPad stopped selling, Apple isn't exactly going under but they may shrink back to where they were pre iPod. Heck Apple almost went under in the 90s. Yes they have billions in the bank, but if the iToys were no longer selling and Apples screws up their finances, they could go back to what they were in the 90s.

Course Apple has proven that they could release iOS devices with minimum updates, charge the Apple tax, and they will sell like hot cakes. Look at the iPad Air, its still $499 for 16GB. What a joke. But the the brand sells it. Bottom line. You could get a N10 for $100 less for double the storage. Android is a fine OS. I know you'll read lot of the Google is evil and Android sucks nonsense around here. But its just that...nonsense.

12. ekiro macrumors regular

Umm..??

Apple sets the standard for consume electronics and it's a cool and innovative. You think that innovative team and spiting disappeared after the iPhone announcement? No. It didn't. Apple will deliver a new product line and market it with perfection.

On the otherhand, Windows is dead. It's uncool. People are forced to get it because that's included and they can't afford an Apple product or are too tech illiterate for know/install Ubuntu.

And no I think nothing's wrong with Android. It works. Does it's thing. Just lacks Apple's signature polish. That's what folks pay for.

13. amarcus macrumors 6502

Apple will still be a player in 2023. They might not be the biggest tech company but theres no chance of them "disappearing".

14. boomdog macrumors regular

boomdog

In my opinion, apple do often set a new standard for consumer electronics but in many departments long after other companies have pioneered said technology. For example Facetime, I remember being in my first year of university (2004) and receiving a video call from my then 75 year old gran. 3 offered the service at a very expensive rate but we're pioneering the tech. Before I was an iPhone owner, I often used to laugh at apple ad campaigns which highlighted a new feature that I'd had on my Nokia or HTC for years. I think your later point of "polish" is more pertinent as apple tend to look at what others are doing and make it more accessible or user friendly.

Windows is not dead, it is simply receiving a smaller market share than previously, this market share however is gigantic when compared to OS X. Windows still hold over 90% market share with apple taking less than 8%, a couple of percentage points left for uBuntu et al. It is ridiculous with this clear dominance to suggest they are dead, there is great competition these days but both companies are doing fine.

Often the reason people chose Windows over OSX is due to cost or restrictions put in place by Apple. A lot of power users would prefer to spend £1500 on a state of the art PC and be able to upgrade it over a decade than £3000+ on a Mac that is very limited in this regard. The polished UI comes at a cost, both in terms of money and flexibility of hardware and software. I've just ordered a rMCP and approached a techie at work to ask advice, he tried to steer me away from apple because of the cost. He gave me some examples of more powerful PC's for half the money. I decided to buy OSX for a change more than anything, never had one and need to see what all the fuss is about.

All of course IMO :)

15. Giuly, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

People who say Mavericks is bad either have been there on a cold, cloudy, dark night or are Windows 8 users.

16. ekiro macrumors regular

Now you know what the fuss is about. Apple products are awesome and can so everything the other guys can do. With the exception of available games. Most geeks are not about the experience or polish. They compare spec for price. Totally wrong to look at it in the mobile space. On desktops I can understand that. Or in a data center environment. But with phones it's a balancing act. The geeks from the past do not seem to understand this. Apple is an all in one package. Your not buying the hardware from one company at X price and the software to Run on it at Y price. If that we're the case sure you can charge less for hardware because it's seperated like that. With apple you pay for an integrated experience. This the trackpad. That's original engineering work requiring hardware and software collaboration to get right. Same applies for the touch ID. Or great touch screen technology. Or an OS super optimized for the given hardware. And so much more...

Also you know your not going out of business when all the competition is copying you. ;)

Also why wouldn't anyone buy apple products if they can afford them? You head people talking bad about apple simply because it's our of their class. :)

17. Cyborg21 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cyborg21

lol :d

18. boomdog macrumors regular

boomdog

Motorola put a form of finger print I.D. In a handset back in 2011, other companies have tried in the past too. Apple just make it user friendly.

I've not received my mac yet so still sitting uncomfortably on the fence. I will still keep my PC however for the time being...

19. carlgo macrumors 68000

Apple has really not even started to fight. They make a relative few products, with variations, and sell them for a good profit margin. They do not compete on price or specs.

It is the competition that has thin profit margins and has to compete on price and specs, not the best situation for them.

What if Apple sold several sizes and grades of iPhones to compete in every market, and dropped the prices to about the level of the competition?

What if the iPads and various computers went to war with spec increases and price decreases?

What if Apple became (or bought) Sony, selling all sorts of products and creating media.

Apple could buy-in to broadband, electric cars, space, water, energy...all trillion dollar markets, vastly beyond iToys.

Apple could do all this. They have the money, brand name and that silly circular new building...it is other companies who have to worry. But, of course stupid management is epidemic, all sorts of silly decisions may be made, or maybe they will just sit on their hands. Apple could plummet, but they would really have to be stupid to do so.

I would like them to fund a section of HyperLoop to see it that technology actually is viable. It would cost less than that new building...

20. ekiro macrumors regular

Whoever invents the technology first doesn't matter. Whoever delivers that technology to the masses and be successful at it is what matters. It's only then when you start to capitalize on your product. And to win people's hearts you need to put forward something compelling. Apple hasn't disappointed yet.

Just look at be attention to detail in the software and hardware. By design and function. It's amazing. And there is nothing else like it. Clearly people that build things like things are extremely passionate and obsessive. With taste. Why wouldn't you want to buy into that? I feel those people are worthy of my money as that passion and obsessiveness is what I buy. And with that I can expect a high polish on all Apple stamped things. ;)

21. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Well said.

I don't mind paying $3000 for a Mac, but I would not pay even $300 for a Windows computer.

22. burne, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013

burne macrumors 6502

burne

10 years ago you probably would have said that Apple's future depends on the faith of the iPod.

I have two. I haven't yet had them in my hands this year. iPhone and iPad very quickly made iPod completely irrelevant.

I haven't seen a windows computer for a long time. Almost all developers and sysadmins I meet daily use an air book or mac book, perhaps with linux on it. My boss has a windows laptop, which he uses to run Eudora. He's still mad over Netscape.

This is my desktop at work. Perhaps I'm an extremist, or, perhaps not. Who knows what the next generation might be used to.

23. Tysknaden macrumors regular

Tysknaden

You should rather worry about Microsoft's future. Apple's position is very good, and the users are very loyal.
    Macs are more expensive, but they have a good resale price, too. And don't forget, that good antivirus software can cost money, too.
    The question with iWork, I cannot answer - do not know about your needs. For me it's wonderful stuff.
    The forum people are very critical and sensible... sometimes they are nitpicking.

24. boomdog macrumors regular

boomdog

Google Are likely to play their cards in the next decade

25. abz1981 macrumors 65816

I love your desktop wallpaper where is that taken if you don't mind me asking? :D