MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Fox News reports that Apple is in last minute negotiations with both AT&T and Verizon to provide wireless service for their upcoming tablet device. Support for both networks suggests that Apple will be producing two versions of the device to support the different wireless standards:
Nevertheless, Apple is in talks with both AT&T and Verizon to support the tablet, according to sources within the companies: One version of the device will run on CDMA networks such as Verizon's, and one will operate on GSM networks like that owned by AT&T.
The upcoming Apple tablet is expected to have Wi-Fi connectivity, but has also been said to have optional 3G service for internet use when away from a hotspot. Even if deals are reached by next week's event, Fox News does not believe data pricing plans will be settled by that time.

Article Link: Apple in Tablet Discussions with Both AT&T and Verizon

LloydBraun89

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
I doubt there would need to be two versions. It seems like it would be big enough to fit both cdma and gsm chips. and whats with all the fox news articles lately?

Comment

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I think I'm going to be waiting for version 2 of this thing. Just too many things that need to be worked out. One thing that I hope happens is for wireless providers to offer a discounted package if you have both an iPhone and a tablet with them. Paying for all these separate data services each month is really starting to get expensive.

Comment

Chintan100

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2009
India
I doubt there would need to be two versions. It seems like it would be big enough to fit both cdma and gsm chips. and whats with all the fox news articles lately?

Yes, i too believe there would be just one version initially like the original iPhone and it may go the kindle way of paying for the bandwidth if you access content from their store while you needing to pay only for the content. This will make more and more people read news, do whatever on the Tablet.

Comment

Marcusjlang

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2008
I know this isn't completely related, but it's sort of on subject, and I really want to know the answer.

Is it actually possible that we will see a VZN phone this year? I mean... does ATT run through 2010, or does it end in June? Also if we do get a VZN iPhone, do we keep ATT too? Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question, I just need to know?

Comment

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
I know this isn't completely related, but it's sort of on subject, and I really want to know the answer.

Is it actually possible that we will see a VZN phone this year? I mean... does ATT run through 2010, or does it end in June? Also if we do get a VZN iPhone, do we keep ATT too? Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question, I just need to know?

Yes, ATT won't go away.

Comment

v724510

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2010
Another fricken $30 a month for 2 years

I'll be so mad if I need to sign another 2 year commitment with ATT for $30 a month for the tablet. That is nothing short of rape

Comment

Yankee617

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2010

Agreed. Anyone buying a Tablet should be able to use it in either, or BOTH, networks.

Comment

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
what about the iphone on the big red :rolleyes:
fox news doesn't have any info on laptops or mac pros

Comment

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
But it is possible for us to get VZN phone, like the exclusivity contract is expiring or something?

No way to know. Personally I doubt Apple would bother doing the engineering work at this point - I would assume they'd wait until 4G. But anything's possible.

Comment

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
Agreed. Anyone buying a Tablet should be able to use it in either, or BOTH, networks.

Or neither. A 3G contract on top of my iPhone would be a 100% deal breaker for me (until jailbroken/iPhone tethering apps appear).

And to that point, it makes no sense. Verizon iPad vs. AT&T iPad? With a phone, I'd sorta understand, but a tablet/computer?

Comment

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
Or neither. A 3G contract on top of my iPhone would be a 100% deal breaker for me (until jailbroken/iPhone tethering apps appear).

And to that point, it makes no sense. Verizon iPad vs. AT&T iPad? With a phone, I'd sorta understand, but a tablet/computer?

Happens all the time with various netbooks.

Comment

makkystyle

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2002
One of the earlier rumors (I believe it was from Boy Genius) stated that they are using a Qualcomm chipset. Qualcomm makes a GSM/CDMA combo chip, which was also rumored for iPhone use. There have been other rumors that these chips were in short supply still (as it's pretty new) but it seems unlikely to me that Apple would make two devices that are so similar to each other. It's really not like them to diversify their product offerings that much.

Comment

stormj

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2006
California
?

I seriously doubt that Apple's exclusivity deal re: the iPhone extends to all of their products. They could have a VZW tablet with or without AT&T.

So, here's the two versions:

VZW iPad: Works everywhere but won't allow you to remove pointless crapware icons from your launcher/desktop. Works all over US, but only US.

ATT iPad: Works nowhere in the US.

Comment

Slayerboym88

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007
I love me some Steve Job's merchandise, but I absolutely refuse to pay for another wireless plan. My prayer for REAL HOPE AND CHANGE consists of AT&T allowing tethering from the (iPad) to the iPhone. That way, I can finally get the "change I can believe in" back in my pocket.:apple:

Comment

Rhymecrafter

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2009
Ashland, OR USA
What's the problem

I love me some Steve Job's merchandise, but I absolutely refuse to pay for another wireless plan. My prayer for REAL HOPE AND CHANGE consists of AT&T allowing tethering from the (iPad) to the iPhone. That way, I can finally get the "change I can believe in" back in my pocket.:apple:

Every rumour I have seen tends to indicate CDMA/GSM as an option or as needed. Wifi seems to be the big push here. I think your all getting a little uptight on the access plan for no reason :eek:

Comment

chasemac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2005
In a house.
Apple hasn't even released the device yet but even if they do. If it has a monthly service charge in addition to my iPhone's and my .mac I'm out!

Comment

Bakafish

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
Adding myself to the no column

I can't see Apple shipping two versions of a device. If they are going to provide 3G in the units (which seems plausible, but not a sure bet) I can't see them wanting to support two different models (x how ever many different devices they actually announce.) If the radios are modular, and can be swapped out, well, that's another story. But they don't even like to do that with batteries, so I'd say it's just noise. On the other hand, if they have a chip that supports both frequencies (Broadcom was supposed to come through with one) or if it supports ATT 3G (and the world) + 4G which Verison will support down the road, then I could see it.

Exclusivity is what gives them the big subsidies though, and truthfully, the subsidies are all coming from the voice side of the contract. DATA is just something carriers provide because they have to, they resent that they get payed 1/10000th the price per bit for DATA compared to SMS and a fraction of the rate they get for voice. And bits are bits. So why are they going to want to offer big subsidies for the new Apple Slablet? (TM) The DATA deals for eBooks are because they are pretty useless for doing much more than downloading small bundles every once in a while. A Slablet will be consuming tons of data, and a good VOIP candidate as well.

So I guess my question is, why would Apple go so far out of their way to support two carriers when there is very little chance of significant subsidies offsetting the cost of their device? They are better off focusing all their efforts on one carrier for the most favorable data rates, and given that they have the iPhone contract coming up for renegotiation, AT&T will probably be quite compliant. AT&T may suck, but it hasn't stopped Apple from making a little bit of money selling iPhones. And as losing a voice connection is far more frustrating (for typical users, calm down!) than data spottiness, I imagine they would be ambivalent about it.

My bet is, if they support 3G, they will not give any details about what carrier will be supported until right before it ships.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.