Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has been meeting with United Airlines over upgrades for United's terminal at the San Francisco International airport, according to a Bloomberg article and multiple tweets from attendees at United's meeting with the media in Chicago.

United has been talking with Apple about potential design ideas for its customer waiting areas at the San Francisco airport, where Apple is known to be one of United's biggest customers thanks to all of the Apple employees that regularly fly out of SFO.

unitedplane-800x533.jpg

The plan is for Apple to help United reconfigure areas in the airport, though what that specifically means is unclear. Linda Jojo, executive vice president of United Airlines Holdings, mentioned spots Apple employees specifically visited as a hint to what might see a redesign.

"The Apple team in San Francisco has been in our baggage hold areas, customer service and the lobbies," she said. "I'm being deliberately vague," she added.

Earlier this year, United Airlines accidentally revealed that Apple is its biggest customer in San Francisco, spending $150 million on airline tickets each year and purchasing an average of 50 business class seats on flights to Shanghai on a daily basis.

Article Link: Apple in Talks With United Airlines Over Terminal Upgrades at San Francisco International Airport

acorntoy

Contributor
May 25, 2010
SFO needs a redesign. Always thought it a bit boring.
[automerge]1572024545[/automerge]
I don’t think they have a choice. San Francisco is United’s hub and I don’t think any other carrier has the capacity out of that airport to fly 50 business class passengers to Shanghai on a daily basis nonstop.

They could probably fly out of San Jose/Oakland if they wanted to avoid a hub, but I imagine it’s much easier to just do SFO.

edit: both alternative routes require a stop, leaving SFO the best option.

Reactions: the johnmc

cmmncw

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2016
While they're at it, they should release their indoor maps feature for SFO in Apple Maps. It blows my mind that they have indoor maps for most major airports in the United States, but they don't have it for the airport that their own employees use the most. I can't figure that one out.

Eric.chen3742

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2018
Hopefully this means that they’ll finally open a GS lobby at the G gates that will dump you directly in front of the Polaris lounge. Otherwise the SFO experience is not that bad.

v0lume4

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2012
SFO needs a redesign. Always thought it a bit boring.
[automerge]1572024545[/automerge]

They could probably fly out of San Jose/Oakland if they wanted to avoid a hub, but I imagine it’s much easier to just do SFO.

edit: both alternative routes require a stop, leaving SFO the best option.
I like how SFO very wisely separates their security gates by terminal. Terrific and efficient design.

Looking at you, ATL.

Reactions: jerryk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.