Apple in the Movies

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kleptobizmol, Jul 14, 2008.

1. kleptobizmol macrumors member

kleptobizmol

Now i know Apple is getting more popular these days, but i am sure that everyone will agree with me that more people still have Windows and Macs. Has anyone noticed that Apple computers seem to be dominating the movie market. Every movie i watch seems to have Macbooks in it. I wonder how much money they dish out to have their computers in all these movies...

2. spook2517 macrumors member

I work in the media field, not film, but a production house. We use Macs because it is more prevalent in our field due to better production software. While Windows systems are seeing better software, Macs are still where it is at.

In our office we have a couple Macbook Pros, a couple Mac Pros and a couple regular Macs. All our directors/special effects people have Macbook Pros.

This is the reason you will see more Macs on the big and small screens. They usually just use some ones computer from the production crew.

Sorry there isn't a more exciting answer.

3. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

What's a regular Mac?

I don't see those on their site? ;)

4. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I would guess regular macs are iMac, MacBooks, and Mac Minis. The consumer products.

5. spook2517 macrumors member

Sorry, it would be a iMac.

6. newbie jnr macrumors member

i notice that in the shows/movies i watch that if there is a computer in it, it's usually a mac. i always seem to notice an MBP in there.

I think it also something to do with the styling....they have presence and look good, but don't take away/distract from what's happening in the shot (unless you're a bit of a mac fanatic).

then again...ockham's razor...probably is just because the crew have them

7. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

I noticed Carrie had an MBP in the Sex and the City movie. LOL. I thought, 'Carrie upgraded her laptop!' Haha.

8. sahni130 macrumors 6502

sahni130

i have noticed that too. and it always does seem to be a macbook pro although i did see a mac pro in I am Legend.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

i think macs are less expensive to license out to be on a show, thats why there used

10. sahni130 macrumors 6502

sahni130

what do you mean?

11. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

It was actually a PowerBook G4...with scratches no less. This is the only thing I remember from the movie (my wife dragged me). Oh, and the fact that she couldn't figure out how to use an iPhone.

12. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

LOL! My GF hates it when we watch shows with any laptop in it.

I have this unnatural ability to tell the difference between any laptop. (brands with PCs, models with Macs and it usually only works with current Macs) I'll usually shout out the brand too!

Even those ads for internet service. It's just a gift.

13. sahni130 macrumors 6502

sahni130

same here man, same here.! lol

14. kleptobizmol thread starter macrumors member

kleptobizmol

i just watched disturbia, accepted, wall-e and ironman and i noticed they all had apple in it. i wonder if apple pays for that product placement... i bet they do

15. kleptobizmol thread starter macrumors member

kleptobizmol

i'm also guessing they appear a lot because they seem to be the "hip" electronic brand out there. maybe i notice them more often because they stick out unlike pretty much every other electronic company out there. thats a slick move on apple part

16. f1 macrumors 6502

Yep, Macs are definitely more prevalent in small screens and big screens. What i find interesting are macs in TV and movies that run windows. I also found it interesting for those who live in Canada that Bank of Montreal is now running Ads in what looks like a fake Apple Store.

17. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Its usually the pro stuff I have noticed, either the macbook pro or the mac pro.

Not that hard to find a kid with a macbook pro, but for some reason I see the mac pro in a movie and its supposed to be the kids computer. I wish I was that lucky. I always say, only in the movies!

18. WindowsOrMac macrumors newbie

two of my most recent finds

Has anyone seen the apple symbol on the big computer in hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy? yeah, look for it. Also, Wall-e, his boot-up sound, yeah... mac. Its everywhere!

w.

19. danvan21 macrumors regular

i think the funniest thing is in the TV show iCarly they are using macbooks but instead of an apple there is a pear. I have a little sister who loves the show...

20. marvel2 macrumors 6502

There is an entire thread about this in the picture gallery forum. They can be also seen in video games...

21. Fenir macrumors regular

I love the macbook/pros when you see them from their backside (with the apple) and there is something covering it, lol

22. ajmccoll macrumors newbie

This isn't some new phenomenon, Apple products have been appearing film and TV for years.

It has nothing to do with licensing fees or being "hip" or "trendy", the reason they are used is because they are visually appealing. Smooth, industrial designs makes them look more like pieces of art than computers.

23. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

its because pcs SuCk andz MaCs RULZ Supreme
    and only us and film producers know that

24. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Personally, I am trying to figure out which Mac and Apple display that Mariah Carey uses in her "Touch My Body" music video.

I have been using Macs since 1986, but for some reason have no clue which Mac or display she is using for that matter. ;)

25. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

i noticed that too. there were a lot of macbooks there which was cool.