Apple increased Apple Care+ on all plus models

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ACG12, Sep 13, 2017.

1. ACG12 macrumors 6502a

I wanted to upgrade my mother in-law to a 6s plus and Apple Care+ costs the same as the 8+. Seriously, Apple???? You're going to increase the cost on a 3 year old phone?

2. posguy99 macrumors 6502a

(A) It's not a three year old phone.
    (B) AppleCare+ is AppleCare+.

3. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

4. BasicGreatGuy, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Why should Apple discount the price of AppleCare+ on a new iPhone 6 plus, just because you think it is an old phone? Is it Apple's fault you didn't buy the phone when it first came out? A brand new iPhone 6s plus qualifies for AppleCare+ price , just as a brand new iPhone 8+ does. That is an apples to apples comparison. Nothing wrong with Apple. You aren't getting ripped off.

AppleCare+ for the iPhone 6s plus is $149. AppleCare+ for iPhone 8 plus is $149. I don't see the problem.

If you don't want to pay for the AppleCare+ for her, self-insurance her yourself. Problem solved.

5. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

The parts are now cheaper for iPhone 6/S/+ then when it was released. So at the end of the day, Apple is overcharging for replacement parts.

Car insurance is cheaper on older cars, even if you bought it brand new from a dealer, because the cost of repairs has gone down. There are more parts in stock and the prices of parts has gone down.

Apple just doesn't care and will continue down this route, unless customers contact BBB or Atorney General.

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The OP is wanting Apple to dishonor the terms of their AppleCare+ agreement to cater to his whims. I bet if he had Apple care and needed service, he would expect Apple to adhere to their agreement.

Apple is doing nothing wrong here. The OP, along with everyone else, is privy to the terms of AppleCare+ before purchase. Apple it consistent on this.

As I said, the OP's thinking is the problem here.

7. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

I know it's almost 8pm on Wednesday night, so color me ignorant. But how did you extrapolate all of this from OPs post?

I think OP simply wants a cheaper AppleCare + for a 2 year old phone.

So what am I missing?

8. acorntoy, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

acorntoy macrumors 65816

AppleCare+ is insurance. For all we know the price for the 8+ doesn't fully cover every situation and they make it up with profit from the ones sold to the older phones. You also have to factor in the fact that Apple needs to make sure they don't lose money on the $99 iPad Pro Applecare+.The point of doing an insurance program is usually to make money from it, not to let your users have a super cheap way to get you to pay for broken devices. Prices are cheaper on older cars because getting old and discounted and no longer made makes the car worth less, but because the 6S hasn't been discounted, it's perceived value hasn't gone down very far, the successors to it actually increased in price twice. Ford is never making a 2016 again, but Apple is still making -new- 6s's.

9. dancefreak macrumors regular

Also up until Tuesday morning AppleCare+ was $129 for all phones. Now it's $129 for standard phones, $149 for plus and $199 for X. I think it's fair to be annoyed that it now costs $20 more for a two year old device.

10. off_piste macrumors 6502a

It has absolutely nothing to do with "dishonoring the terms of their AppleCare+" agreement. Where do you come up with such nonsense?

Pricing of the service is a business decision, nothing more. There is no breach of the agreement if they charged a lesser amount. They can raise or lower it as they see fit including offering it on sale if they wanted.

For whatever reason Apple has decided to charge more across the board. Whether it's because the 6s+ is just as expensive to repair, ease of pricing, or just trying to make more money, that's their choice.

I do find it curious because I thought in the past older models had cheaper coverage; I thought the new pricing and deductibles only applied to the new models. I wonder if I was mistaken or Apple changed how they're pricing the service?

11. acorntoy macrumors 65816

AppleCare+ has been a bad deal since the 5S, with the 5 it was great value. Look at sites like SquareTrade, much better value for insurance that's -miles- away from the awful carrier insurances and almost up par to the speed of Apple.

12. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

I think I understand what you saying. The price of the 50 year old car has gone up in value by ten fold, so insurance goes up as well based on market value, even though the parts are dirt cheap.
    Ok I get it now.

It's been a long day and my brain is fried.

13. acorntoy macrumors 65816

No I think your intentionally trying to ignore my points. It's chill though, you don't have to buy it if you think it's overpriced. I don't, like I just said I haven't used AppleCare+ on my phones for years.

14. dancefreak macrumors regular

I've had square trade. It works out well. I think Apple Care is actually a better deal even for the Plus considering the deductible is $29 vs $99, might be worth the extra $20. For the X, Apple Care doesn't make a ton of sense when you can still get Square Trade for $129---$119 if insuring two devices. The craziest thing is the most expensive 8plus is $949 and the low end X is $999 so to apple a $50 difference in retail cost somehow warrants that same $50 difference in insurance cost.

15. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

There is nothing nonsensical about my post. The OP wants Apple to make an exception to him, because he feels he shouldn't have to pay the AppleCare+ price, because in his mind, that brand new phone is a three year old phone that should be treated differently under the current terms of the AppleCare+ program.

If one doesn't like the terms of AppleCare+, one doesn't have to get it. One can roll the proverbial dice and hope nothing goes wrong, or one can self-insure.

16. ACG12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The iPhone SE didn't get an increase. Makes zero sense for a 3 model year old phone to get a bump in price to get coverage other than because Apple wants to line their pockets even more.

This is pure greed and they keep showing it just like their $50 price increase on the ipad 256gb and 512gb models along with the not having a 128gb model for the 8s.

I'm done with Apple for awhile. Hopefully my current Apple products last longer than my wife and mother in law's (my old phone) 6 plus touch dieased phones that clearly showed the bean counter way Apple has been moving towards. And of course after spending $1000 on each of those for a poor designed phone, they had the audacity to charge me another $300 for two more ticking time bombs.

17. acorntoy macrumors 65816

I could rave all day about SquareTrade. Fixed a broken 6+ screen about 6 times for me (also upgraded me from a 16gb 6+ to a 64gb) gave me OVER the value of my iPad in credit when they couldn't repair the screen, fixed the next iPad I had screen in a day. And most recently, my brothers MBP got fixed by them, and because they took a -bit- longer than the website states I had the original amount of the warranty refunded back to me, the computer got fixed for free, and they are covering it until the end of 2019. Good company.

18. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

Sorry dude, not trying to be difficult. I think I kind of get it, I'm just not all there tonight.
    It's been a great day but I'm running on fumes at this point.

19. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

SquareTrade and AppleCare+ are essentially identical in price. Apple is $20 more for the Plus model, but deductibles are the same. Plus AppleCare+ includes a free battery replacement, express replacement, accessory replacement and more.

20. acorntoy macrumors 65816

There's always a bunch of good coupons that are active if you look around on the internet for SquareTrade. Can usually get $20-30% off.

21. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

Microcenter has a nice replacement no questions asked plan. It can be pricey, but I can use the iPhone or any product as a freesbee and they will replace it for free no questions asked, even if I drive it over a product with a train.

22. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

I still personally think the convenience of AppleCare+ outweighs $20-30. Express replacement is the best thing ever. Have used it plenty of times between my phones and watches.

23. acorntoy macrumors 65816

I'll take a look :) I'm clumsy as hell and cannot stand cases (especially on devices like the 12.9 and 7+, they're already massive) so I'm always looking for new insurance options :p
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    What is that? I know with SquareTrade I can have a phone sent to me, and continue using my broken one until it arrives if it does operate, it is one day shipping. I could see how access to an Apple Store might sway your opinion, but where I'm living it would be a mail in replacement either way so it's a moot point. Not trying to be difficult, I might consider it for my 8+, not really sure who'll I'll be using for insurance ATM.

24. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

Now that you mentioned it, some of the apple products have gone up in price over night for no reason. It was mentioned in the forums today.

That is pure greed.

25. acorntoy macrumors 65816

Oh yeah they have. Insurance is one thing that I believe can be flexible, but changing your products price after more than a month of being released is just disgusting :confused: