Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

applecare-.png
While Apple didn't discuss AppleCare+ pricing as it unveiled the new iPhone 6s and 6 Plus today at its "Hey Siri" event, the Cupertino company did unveil new pricing for the service on its website. AppleCare+ for both devices is $129.99 while its service fee is $99.99.

This is an increase from the pricing for iPhone 6 and earlier models, which are priced at $99.99 for AppleCare+ and $79.99 for the service fee. It's likely the increased prices are due to the new technology in the new devices, which includes a larger Taptic Engine and the brand new 3D Touch, which Apple is billing as the next generation of Multi-Touch display.

Earlier today, Apple also announced the iPhone Upgrade Program, which allows those who sign up to trade-in their current iPhone for a new model after 12 monthly installments are made. The program includes AppleCare+ with each iPhone, which might lure some away from carriers' contract-free pricing toward Apple's alternative. iPhone Upgrade Program pricing starts at $32.41 a month for the 16 GB iPhone 6s and goes up to $44.91 a month for the 128 GB iPhone 6s Plus.

Article Link: Apple Increases AppleCare+ Prices and Service Fees for iPhone 6s and 6s Plus

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Value is decreasing at those prices. $130 safety net is a little steep, especially when it comes with a $99 replacement fee. $230 for a replacement phone is not a good insurance policy value. It would make more sense to price the coverage at $79 and charge $129 or $149 for each replacement.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
AppleCare is not needed in Australia due to Consumer Law which guaranteed device repairs or replacement at no additional cost (as long as its no accidental damage), for at least 26 months. Consumer Law is in addition to your statutory rights, not a replacement for them.

However, if you want the cheaper repair options for screen etc which are not covered due to accidental damage, they you can get AppleCare +

Last edited:

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Another reason to stay with Securranty. $99 for 2 years w/ $49 deductible.

How does Seccuranty compare with Squaretrade? Seems to be about the same service. I've always used Squaretrade and paid monthly ($5/month to protect my iPhone 6) and for a couple months now they've been doing a promotion where if the cost of repair is less than $125, the deductible (normally $75) is waived completely. They also offer same-day repairs with a reimbursement (bring it to Apple, get it repaired, send Squaretrade the receipt and get reimbursed within 24 hours). Have you only used Seccuranty?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Anyone else considering the new iPhone Upgrade Program? It looks more appealing given this increase in price. I'm getting the 128GB 6S, so 12 × $40.75 = $489/yr to have the newest iPhone with AppleCare+. If I bought it outright it would be $849 + $130 (2 yr min) = $979, minus the ~$400 max trade-in hassle = $579/yr. Less hassle, don't have to worry about trade-in and trade-in values, and I'll always have Apple Care. If I go the Verizon route I first of all have to extend my contract, and then I have to pay an extra $15/mo for two years plus $399 + $40 upgrade fee + $130 AppleCare+ and if have to wait two years between iPhone upgrades. Then after two years I might get a $200 trade-in. So Verizon comes out to $364.50/yr with the same iPhone and a contract lock-in. For me it's worth the extra $124.50/yr to always have the newest iPhone. Let me know if my math is off because it's late and I had a rough day at work and feel kinda sick lol.

Reactions: V.K.

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
Value is decreasing at those prices. $130 safety net is a little steep, especially when it comes with a $99 replacement fee. $230 for a replacement phone is not a good insurance policy value. It would make more sense to price the coverage at $79 and charge $129 or $149 for each replacement.

Yep, this will be the first iPhone I'll get without AppleCare.

perkedel

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2014
California
AppleCare Plus not needed in Australia due to Consumer Law which guaranteed device repairs or replacement at no additional cost, for at least 26 months. Consumer Law is in addition to your statutory rights, not a replacement for them.

does law state that the manufacturer must cover of misuse, abuse, or accidental, not counting defect in workmanship/material?

Jimbobaus

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2015
AppleCare Plus not needed in Australia due to Consumer Law which guaranteed device repairs or replacement at no additional cost, for at least 26 months. Consumer Law is in addition to your statutory rights, not a replacement for them.

WRONG!
The law states that they must warrant an item for a reasonable term. Tis is 12 months however the law states if the phone is sold on contract from a carrier the iPhone must have a warranty for entire term. So Telstra etc give a second year warranty. If you walk into an Apple Store in year two they have no obligation to replace the item.
AppleCare+ if you read the description gives you phone support for a full two years up from 60 days and also gives you two accidental damage replacements for the service fee ($149 for 6s)
There is a common misconception about warranty with apple in oz. it's the carrier that gives you year two. If you buy outright you are only given 12 months

aimbdd

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
East Cost
If I had to venture a guess I would say all the new features this year like the 3d screens and new aluminum are putting a hefty dent in their normal profit margins. The replacement itself isn't a great deal, but your forgetting the value of the extended warranty and phone support.

JimmyHook

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2015
Replace an 800 dollar phone for 230 once, 165 per phone if done twice. You can't get this screen fixed at a kiosk...

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
Isn't Consumer Law protection literally a statutory right?

Reactions: mw360

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Wow. Keeping the base model stuck at 16GB for a fourth year in a row had me mad. But this really takes the cake.

I'm not gonna be buying another iPhone for a very long time.

Fourth? If you count the launch time storage, this will be the 7th year with 16GB base storage. Those 8GB versions of earlier phones were introduced only later on when they fell to lower price points. 3GS was introduced with 16/32 storage and we haven't seen a base storage increase ever since.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
I could toss away my phone and my own insurance would cover it for less than Apple Care. Plus it covers everything else I own.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007

It also covers the phone if you drop it break it. Its not just warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.