Apple Increases European App Store Pricing, Changes Some Countries to Local Currencies

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 25, 2012.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple has increased the amount of money charged for App Store pricing tiers for a number of countries across the European Union. The lowest tier is now EUR0.89, up from EUR0.79. It is equivalent to the $0.99 tier in the U.S. MacStories has confirmed the following countries have seen a change in pricing:
    Additionally, several countries have seen App Store pricing change from U.S. dollars to local currencies. Apps in India are now being priced in Rupees, apps in Saudi Arabia are being priced in Saudi Riyals, and customers in the United Arab Emirates, Russia, Indonesia, Israel, Turkey, and South Africa are all seeing purchases listed in local currencies now.

Article Link: Apple Increases European App Store Pricing, Changes Some Countries to Local Currencies

2. rmwebs macrumors 68040

Hmm I was told the pricing was being 'altered', but Apple conveniently never informed me that their cut was increasing to 40%. I presume this 10% increase is applied only to the EU price-increase countries, and not globally?

edit: answered my own query - 10% increase is to EU only. Still sucks.

3. bushido Suspended

bushido

mother... apple is rly pushing my limit lately :mad:

4. PhElias macrumors newbie

5. Schmitty11, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

Schmitty11 macrumors 6502

Use one damn currency.

6. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

As a dev, this sucks.

EDIT: new currencies

Russia: Ruble (RUB)
    Turkey: Lira (TRY)
    India: Rupee (INR)
    Indonesian: Rupiah (IDR)
    Israel: New Shekel (ILS)
    Saudi Arabia: Riyal (SAR)
    South Africa: Rand (ZAR)
    United Arab Emirates: Dirham (AED)

7. tdream macrumors 65816

Apple are changing more and more everyday, not for the better.

8. Ganesha macrumors regular

Do EU prices include VAT? As always US prices are before taxes.

9. iFanboy Guest

This is just greed. If you look at Apple's finances they are doing very well with the current model and have more cash than they can spend (indeed, more cash reserves than the US government at one stage before the debt ceiling was raised).

This isn't therefore motivated by necessity, it's motivated by greed and the desire to make EVEN MORE money that they won't be able to spend.

This is why people hate large corporations, they are always trying to squeeze the little guy to make even larger profits, regardless of how enormous their existing profit levels are.

10. 0098386 Suspended

Meanwhile no other distribution platform in Europe ups their percentage. (consoles, PC platforms, etc)

Nice Apple. Nice.

11. stan1028 macrumors regular

stan1028

Singapore is also now in their local currency.

12. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

13. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Yep. If an app is priced 89 cents, this is what your CC will be charged.

14. guycarmeli macrumors newbie

Also in Israel.
    I actually prefer seeing the price in local currency cause it gives me a better feeling of how much I pay, but ya I did notice a slight price increase, not sure though it's as much as 10%; probably just rounding the numbers (upwards of course...)

15. cycomiko macrumors 6502

While they continue to overcharge NZrs compared to other currencies, and even our 'host' countries, Aussie/Singapore...

16. camnchar macrumors 6502

camnchar

"Now that's what I call aggressive!" -- Tim Cook

17. I8P'CS, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

I8P'CS Suspended

As they get popular this was bound to happen all about the ££ for Apple. People should start voting with their wallets, this would soon stop. And the unnecessary prices hikes on iMacs etc

18. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

True! I end up buying US iTunes cards and get my stuff that way, works out cheaper than local NZ currency.

19. realeric macrumors 65816

realeric

Apple burned $2.5 billions today for their shareholders. It sucks. Steve would never have allowed this. :eek:

20. ZenErik macrumors 6502

Then that price really isn't so bad..

21. cycomiko macrumors 6502

I hardly buy anything from the app store, adn when I do, its always with a 2 for 1 deal, or similar from itunes cards locally.

Of course, getting US itunes cards also allows cheaper apps, movies, music as well as actually getting access to TV...

22. tilstip macrumors newbie

This will cause very bad App Reviews for many Apps (especially the ones with In-App Purchases who can buy multiple times) since normal users will think it was the developer who increased the price.

Poor developers.

Sometimes I just don't get it.

23. Manderby macrumors 6502a

Manderby

Swiss Franc (CHF) is about 35%. I just checked, it seems that it was like that before. But our VAT is still the same tiny 8%, so...

Don't know what to say. I always thought it was 30% all along.

24. faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06