Apple Increases iPhone's Cellular Download Cap to 20 MB in Advance of iPad Launch

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacRumors has received reports from several readers noting that the download cap for iPhone applications installed via 3G has been increased to 20 MB, a change that also appears to apply to iTunes Store content. Previously, users attempting to download content over 10 MB in size were prompted to connect to a Wi-Fi network or use a computer to obtain the applications. With the ceiling now increased to 20 MB, developers trying to stay under the cap limits in order to avoid frustrating users unable to install their applications while on the go should have significantly more flexibility for their applications.

The change is particularly significant given the impending launch of Apple's iPad tablet device, with 3G-capable models due to be released in April. The increased screen size and capabilities of the iPad will allow developers to create more sophisticated applications that will tend to be larger in size than iPhone applications.

Article Link: Apple Increases iPhone's Cellular Download Cap to 20 MB in Advance of iPad Launch

rjtyork

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Booyah. Now all they gotta do is allow Skype over 3G, let a google voice app on the store, and allow backgrounding and I won't need my jailbreak anymore.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I like this move but I hope it also applies to downloading podcasts. I really hate not being able to download alot of podcasts because they are over 10 mb.

room237

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Queens, NYC
Good news, but it seems like Apple is trying to cripple the AT&T network. Can't wait to see what happens in April when the iPad 3G's are out!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Very nice! I’ve heard of so many developers struggling to hit that 10MB mark, and even reducing sound/texture quality for that reason. 20MB should offer some much-needed breathing room.

The Stig

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
On the track
Alright! I just found this out on my iPhone and I got confused and started to wonder how long it has been like this. So I came on here and saw this post. Ok great. It is good step! I'd like to have a bit more but 20mb is better than 10mb.

I'm on Rogers in Canada. I haven't heard from any other carriers in Canada yet.

The Stig

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
I like this move but I hope it also applies to downloading podcasts. I really hate not being able to download alot of podcasts because they are over 10 mb.
You can listen to any podcast without having to download. The podcast will even carry on playing when you quit iTunes on your phone.

I can confirm, the limit for podcasts is now 20MB too. :)

guitarman777

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2005
Orlando, FL
Good news, but it seems like Apple is trying to cripple the AT&T network. Can't wait to see what happens in April when the iPad 3G's are out!
Maybe they're trying to light the fire under AT&T's rear end to get cracking on strengthening the network. I feel like most US carriers are dragging their feet in this critical area and choosing instead to shove all their money into smear campaigns against their competitors. Yeah, that's money well spent.

kasei

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
10 MB is a hard limit to reach when you have audio and a lot of graphics in a game. 20MB is awesome. Can we see 40MB? Our game, Ghosts Attack is 40 MBs.

paddad64

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008
10 MB is a hard limit to reach when you have audio and a lot of graphics in a game. 20MB is awesome. Can we see 40MB? Our game, Ghosts Attack is 40 MBs.
I would love to see 40-50MB so I can download most apps and podcasts.

RaZaK

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
what about music?

how about increasing the cellular cap for that as well?

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
I posted this exactly one week ago:

I tend to believe that soon this 10mb limit will be increased to something like--I dunno--50mb? iPad apps are more likely to be larger than 10mb due to the increased size of the graphics, etc. Especially if universal apps start showing up that support iPad and iPhone at each device's native resolution. Though who knows what that would do to AT&Ts network on the coasts. Here in the middle their network is BLAZING at 4-5mbps. Well, blazing by mobile standards.
Source: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=863527

So I was close!! Nice. Now for my next trick: dashboard style iPad widgets.

P.S. I don't know anyone at Apple.

*wink*

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
if you need a large download, just go into a starbucks or a McDonalds and do it over wifi there