Apple Increases Over-the-Air App Store Download Limit to 200MB

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has increased the over-the-air download limit for the App Store to 200MB, up from 150MB.

The download limit is now 200MB for iPhones and iPads. The limit affects the maximum size of an app that can be downloaded over 3G or 4G networks.

The file size limit is designed to prevent iOS users from accidentally downloading a large app over cellular and using up all their data allowance or running up data charges. But as 9to5Mac notes, there's no way to opt out of the limit, which can be frustrating for users with unlimited data plans.

Apple officially increased the App Store cellular over-the-air download limit to 150 MB in September 2017.

Developers frequently work hard to keep their apps under the over-the-air download limit, as they believe going over that limit reduces the likelihood of spontaneous purchases.

Article Link: Apple Increases Over-the-Air App Store Download Limit to 200MB

s54

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2012
That is frustrating and frankly something that I never quite understood.

It’s 2019. Aren’t most people sporting unlimited plans? - I’ve had unlimited for over a decade. First with Verizon and now with T-Mobile.

The fact that I can’t download many apps without WiFi just sucks.

genovelle

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008

It’s 2019. Aren’t most people sporting unlimited plans? - I’ve had unlimited for over a decade. First with Verizon and now with T-Mobile.

There is no real unlimited plan. I’ve had AT&T and Verizon and after you cross a certain usage point they throttle your speed to uselessness.

JimmyBanks6

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2017

In Canada we sure aren’t, most people I know have only a gigabyte or two before our insane overage fees hit.

But we’re a one off, Canada has the most expensive wireless in the western world.

Mighuel

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
Finland
As others have stated Apple should do away the limit or at least give us a toggle to turn it on/off. I live in Finland and I got 450mbps unlimited cellural connection and it would be totally fine to download app updates & iOS updates over cellural. I also got 20gb/month everywhere in EU so even abroad it would be okay to use cellural in most cases. And no this connection isn’t even ridiculously expensive, just 29€/mo.

Reactions: catean

genovelle

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
* in USA

Other countries have truly unlimited unthrottled plans.
I did not think of that. Of course with the US being their primary market, they default to limits of those carriers.
[doublepost=1559306593][/doublepost]
As others have stated Apple should do away the limit or at least give us a toggle to turn it on/off. I live in Finland and I got 450mbps unlimited cellural connection and it would be totally fine to download app updates & iOS updates over cellural. I also got 20gb/month everywhere in EU so even abroad it would be okay to use cellural in most cases. And no this connection isn’t even ridiculously expensive, just 29€/mo.
I have 75 GB per month and still go over.

TrulsZK

macrumors regular
May 1, 2018
Norway
For me 200MB is not enough, personally I would prefer no limit (or at least 1GB).
Why can’t Apple add a setting to remove the limit, similar to iCloud drive updates.
Also want to be able to install Software Updates over cellular.

A workaround for me is to use my iPad with Personal Hotspot (or a 4G+ router) and connect my iPhone to it (or vice versa for unlimited download on my iPad)
No stupid limits, and everything over cellular.

Reactions: nouveau_redneck

ksec

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2015
I just wish Apple and Carriers could come up with a deal or plans, that Allows Apps, iOS Update, and iCloud Backup for free with no limit after midnight. The network is under utilised during those period anyway, and everyday could get the update, and Backup they need. I have been asking for something like this for 4 years now.

smirking

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Not me. I only get the minimum I'm required to buy to have a data plan at all. I'd get a cheapie 500MB plan if Verizon still offered it. I work out of my house so I don't use much data. In the times when I do need data, I just upgrade temporarily or buy a one time use data package.

When I travel for work, I do need to use quite a lot of data, but I can't use the worthless unlimited options because when I need data, I need fast data.

windywalks

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2004
Did Facebook and Messenger reach that level and petitioned Apple to raise the limit?
I'm on an unlimited plan and all I'd ever need is a warning that the apps are over a certain limit.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
From Reddit:

I believe network congestion has a lot to do with this cap. It’s not that YOUR data cap is unlimited and you have no throttling, it’s that multiple apps publishing updates all the time and distributing it over cell network limits EVERYONE’s bandwidth. After all, all networks have limited bandwidth.

Imagine a football match, stadium pack full of people have auto update turned on and a ticketing app or google maps decides to publish a major update. Now no one has any network.

mikzn

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2013
Vancouver
Great news, but there really should be a power users toggle to disable the limit if you don't want it.
Would be even better if they just let you set your own iOS threshold for cellular data - I might set it lower to make sure and save cellular data for other use. Then download larger updates like Keynote, Pages, Garageband on the home wifi

backontwo

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2014
For me 200MB is not enough, personally I would prefer no limit (or at least 1GB).
Why can’t Apple add a setting to remove the limit, similar to iCloud drive updates.
Also want to be able to install Software Updates over cellular.

A workaround for me is to use my iPad with Personal Hotspot (or a 4G+ router) and connect my iPhone to it (or vice versa for unlimited download on my iPad)
No stupid limits, and everything over cellular.
I do this too. Agreed, they need to provide a toggle.