Apple Inks Deal for 'Mosquito Coast' Series Starring Justin Theroux

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has signed a deal for an adaptation of "The Mosquito Coast" set to star Justin Theroux, reports Variety.

"The Mosquito Coast" is based on the 1981 novel of the same name by Paul Theroux, Justin Theroux's uncle.

Image via Variety​

The novel is told from the viewpoint of 14-year-old main character Charlie Fox and focuses on his father, Allie, who is an inventor. Allie becomes critical of American consumerism and culture, deciding to uproot his family and move to La Mosquitia on the Mosquito Coast of Honduras.

The book is being adapted for television by Neil Cross, who is also serving as showrunner. Rupert Wyatt is executive producing and will direct multiple episodes.

Theroux is known for his roles in "Maniac," "The Leftovers," "American Psycho," "Zoolander," and more.

"The Mosquito Coast" will be available through Apple TV+, Apple's upcoming streaming television service that's set to launch on November 1. Apple TV+ will be priced at $4.99 per month.

Article Link: Apple Inks Deal for 'Mosquito Coast' Series Starring Justin Theroux

Last edited by a moderator:

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
That’s interesting. I’ve seen he movie but not read the book. Is there some narrative left or will it be a loose adaptation?

agsystems

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2013
All it takes it’s one water cooler show to convince people to remain subscribed. Case in point I’ve been a Amazon prime member since the beginning and I never seen any of their shows but I got turn on to the Lost Boys and now I am looking around to see if they are other shows I might be interested.

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
Interesting. His ex wife Jennifer Aniston is also starring on an Apple show. That ought to keep the tabloids busy for awhile.

Anyway, I haven’t read the book but now I’m intrigued. I prefer reading to watching tv but eh, I can do both. :p

I’m really looking forward to trying out my free subscription to Apple TV that I’m going to get with my phone purchase. That was a good idea for Apple to offer it and Goldman Sachs can go choke.

I haven’t watched TV shows in years but I’m starting to get back into it mostly via Amazon Prime. I’m definitely willing to give Apple a chance.

Reactions: MLVC

BGPL

macrumors regular
May 4, 2016
California
I for one like these news headlines, I'm not sold on Apple TV+ yet so I would like to know what's coming. Honestly, being Apple and their fanbase demographic, don't they need some sci fi?
[doublepost=1568681901][/doublepost]
Interesting. His ex wife Jennifer Aniston is also starring on an Apple show. That ought to keep the tabloids busy for awhile.

Anyway, I haven’t read the book but now I’m intrigued. I prefer reading to watching tv but eh, I can do both. :p

I’m really looking forward to trying out my free subscription to Apple TV that I’m going to get with my phone purchase. That was a good idea for Apple to offer it and Goldman Sachs can go choke.

I haven’t watched TV shows in years but I’m starting to get back into it mostly via Amazon Prime. I’m definitely willing to give Apple a chance.
The content is getting good. Maybe Apple will buy the rights to Taboo and we can get that going again. What a good series.

Moonlight

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2002
Los Angeles
One day when Apple starts to write their own iBooks, MacRumors will post front page advertisements for it too. /s

Perhaps it's time to move these to another page?
Why? When they make a new phone you want to hear about it, but not if they make a show? Oh, because it's MAC rumors and not Apple rumors? Well get over it. Its been Apple rumors since the iPod came out.

Reactions: Eduardo1971

Jimmy James

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I hope Apple doesn't give us content that is too PC and would be willing to branch out and make shows as dark and action filled as Netflix's "DareDevil" and Amazons "The Boys" are.
We may get a show about inclusiveness and tolerance. It would be totally unique.

Reactions: snek

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
I for one like these news headlines, I'm not sold on Apple TV+ yet so I would like to know what's coming. Honestly, being Apple and their fanbase demographic, don't they need some sci fi?
[doublepost=1568681901][/doublepost]

The content is getting good. Maybe Apple will buy the rights to Taboo and we can get that going again. What a good series.
They do need some science fiction.

Reactions: DevNull0

AutisticGuy

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2018
I read the book and loved the movie. I was like 15 or so at the time. I didn't understand the opposition to consumerism or the questioning of the United State's emphasis on capitalism at the time. Now I get it and I feel like I'm turning into Allie Fox. After all, humans are poorly designed, standing upright with our genitals exposed...true statement.

Also, I had a secret crush on River Phoenix when I was 15.

vertical smile

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2014
However, Apple has so much money, they could literally buy Disney if they wanted to go completely insane.
Maybe, but probably wouldn't ever happen.

Although, that would most likely be the only way for Apple to get enough content to be a serious competitor for Netflix any time soon.

truthertech

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2016

Although, that would most likely be the only way for Apple to get enough content to be a serious competitor for Netflix any time soon.

You do realize that Apple TV plus will this year become the largest streaming service in the world, and will dwarf Netflix and soon have a 100 million more subscribers than Netflix?? You do realize that Apple already is ahead of the pace Netflix set in developing original content?? You do realize that Netflix is trapped in a scenario where they can't raise prices enough to come close to keeping pace with the insane increase in prices they must pay to compete against Amazon, Apple, Google, Disney, Hulu, Comcast, CBS, etc., and that they have but a single revenue stream in contrast to those companies that have multiple revenue streams to leverage their streaming services???

Baymowe335

macrumors 603
Oct 6, 2017

Oh that I disagree with completely. Netflix has very little “must watch” original content while Disney’s is endless. Netflix still mostly licenses their most watched content and Apple could do the same because Apple has money.

This doesn’t make Netflix all bad. People are willing to pay for just a few shows, which gives Apple a huge opportunity.

Netflix’s problem is they have no money and make very little profit.

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
...becomes critical of American consumerism and culture.
Now that's something I can get behind! I'm surprised that Apple would put their money behind something like this, honestly, but at the same time, he who looks at his own faults stands the best chance of correcting them.
[doublepost=1568691419][/doublepost]
Oh that I disagree with completely. Netflix has very little “must watch” original content while Disney’s is endless. Netflix still mostly licenses their most watched content and Apple could do the same because Apple has money.

This doesn’t make Netflix all bad. People are willing to pay for just a few shows, which gives Apple a huge opportunity.

I think Netflix has a ton of money, but they invest back into original productions. Some of the best shows on Netflix are their own.

Baymowe335

macrumors 603
Oct 6, 2017
Now that's something I can get behind! I'm surprised that Apple would put their money behind something like this, honestly, but at the same time, he who looks at his own faults stands the best chance of correcting them.
[doublepost=1568691419][/doublepost]

I think Netflix has a ton of money, but they invest back into original productions. Some of the best shows on Netflix are their own.
Netflix has to raise capital they are so short on money.

They just had to raise over $2B this year.

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/netflix-raises-2-2-billion-junk-bonds-1203197332/

tallscot

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2002
Quality content that doesn’t lecture, isn’t woke, and you’ll get huge numbers at this price. Amazon is producing a lot of great stuff right now. Their UI sucks, though.

Reactions: Huck

DevNull0

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2015
However, Apple has so much money, they could literally buy Disney if they wanted to go completely insane.
Disney is worth $244 billion. I doubt even Apple could manage a takeover. I don't think you realize just how much of the entertainment world Disney owns now.

vertical smile

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2014
You do realize that Apple TV plus will this year become the largest streaming service in the world, and will dwarf Netflix and soon have a 100 million more subscribers than Netflix?? You do realize that Apple already is ahead of the pace Netflix set in developing original content?? You do realize that Netflix is trapped in a scenario where they can't raise prices enough to come close to keeping pace with the insane increase in prices they must pay to compete against Amazon, Apple, Google, Disney, Hulu, Comcast, CBS, etc., and that they have but a single revenue stream in contrast to those companies that have multiple revenue streams to leverage their streaming services???

Netflix isn't going to be losing subs to Apple's subs. But, I am sure they are worried about the impact of Disney+ on their sub base.