Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
I'm not surprised given that Google has the best global presence in terms of data centres located around the world although I am surprised to see what Azure wasn't included as part of the mix. That makes me wonder, if the story is legitimate, that Google has something that Microsoft doesn't/can't offer given that both Google and Microsoft have a similar global data centre footprint. That being said I wouldn't be surprised if it is short term stop gap measure as there was some news doing the rounds last year about Apple working on a variety of open source projects because I think long term they're wanting to move away from being dependent on proprietary software and hardware from IBM and Oracle in favour of the sorts of 'in house' purpose built hardware in much the same way that Google, Facebook and others have gone about doing it.

Reactions: AleXXXa

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
was it ever just a rumor? when i was trying to debug the problems with iTunes match hanging forever it was clear that apple was uploading the tracks to AWS servers.

Kroo

Suspended
Jul 17, 2015
haha all those Google haters

The laugh is on google fanboys. Apple can't keep up on cloud services, so now google will have to take the hit as Apple moves from Amazon. Clearly Apple can't keep up with the online services demand and has to farm it out to other companies. Data farms aren built over night you know. Who's laughing now?

Last edited:

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
The laugh is on google fanboys. Apple can't keep up on cloud services, so now google will have to take the hit as Apple moves from Amazon. Clearly Apple can't keep up with the online services demand and has to farm it out to other companies. Data farms aren built over night you know. Who's laughing now?

take the hit? you aware Google doesnt just host it for free? either way i am not gonna get into the whole "fanboy" thing

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Well, it's not like they were going to run it on OSX Server. Even they know better.
It's not even running under ChromeOS ....
The operative system has nothing to do with this choice. Google service is just much cheaper.

Well, that solves the FBI's backdoor problem.
FBI already has access (through Apple) to iCloud backups... they don't need any backdoor for cloud storage.
People here have difficulties to understand how things work....

Reactions: You are the One

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
It's not a hatred of Google. It's discomfort at their business model. If Apple is okay with giving them money for a support service that's their business. Just like Apple buying Samsung and LG components. As long as I don't have to be Google's product or directly support the poor customer support of LG and crappy corporate citizenship of Samsung.
In this case you are not a Google's product, because you are signing up a service with Apple.
Google is providing a service to Apple but has NO ACCESS to the data.

@MaxIT... what do you think? Are you still gonna use iCloud?
Your is just a provocation and reported as it.
You clearly didn't understand the whole question.
As a customer you don't have to care WHERE the data are stored, as far as Apple is managing those data (and has the decryption keys).
Google can't apply their ad scanning algorithms to Apple's data.

To all those on here worried about Google having their data....

PLEASE stop with the hyperbole! And realise all Google is doing is supplying 'services' to Apple on the backbone, they will not do a THING with your data unless Apple agrees to it in the contract.

So stop worrying.

Just remember every free game you play will data mine you more than Google ever will, so do Facebook and Twitter and LinkedIn.
correct.
people are reacting like Google is going to take care of iCloud service.
That's non correct.
They are just providing Apple a service. A service cheaper than AWS.
[doublepost=1458202095][/doublepost]
Isn't the data encrypted before it leaves your device? Google won't be able to read it anymore than Apple can.
Data are encrypted and only you (and Apple) have the key.
Not google.
[doublepost=1458202418][/doublepost]
take the hit? you aware Google doesnt just host it for free? either way i am not gonna get into the whole "fanboy" thing
According to Amir Efrati of The Information, it will take a year for iCloud to be fully running on the Google Cloud Platform and it is unlikely to be very profitable for Google, as it was not for Amazon

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
According to Amir Efrati of The Information, it will take a year for iCloud to be fully running on the Google Cloud Platform and it is unlikely to be very profitable for Google, as it was not for Amazon

Color me confused :confused:

Are Amazon and Google unprofitable with all their cloud clients?

If so... what are they doing wrong?

If not... what's so special about Apple's data needs?

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Color me confused :confused:

Are Amazon and Google unprofitable with all their cloud clients?

If so... what are they doing wrong?

If not... what's so special about Apple's data needs?
i don't really know why.
Google monetize on the data, applying ad scanning algorithms on them. In this case they can't monetize on ad, but just provide Apple a cloud service support (and they are paid for that).
I don't know how profitable this could be... especially since they have a price much lower than Amazon.
[doublepost=1458204792][/doublepost]
I thought a computer company as big and rich as Apple would have their own data centers...
Apple has data centers.

Reactions: You are the One

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
i don't really know why.
Google monetize on the data, applying ad scanning algorithms on them. In this case they can't monetize on ad, but just provide Apple a cloud service support (and they are paid for that).
I don't know how profitable this could be... especially since they have a price much lower than Amazon.

I assumed Apple would be paying Google for this.

You're right... this is not the usual "free" service that Google provides to make money from ads. This is, instead, a paid product from Google.

So I don't know why Google wouldn't be charging Apple enough to actually make a profit on it. That doesn't make any sense at all.

That tweet said Amazon lost money from Apple too. However... Amazon's cloud business is booming. It has been reported that AWS is 52% of Amazon's operating profit. And AWS' profit is bigger than the rest of Amazon combined.

So what is it about Apple's specific needs? How can cloud companies lose money from Apple... yet make money from other clients?

This is very weird.

If Apple came knocking to purchase cloud services from me... I wouldn't do it unless I made money. Right?

Narcaz

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I assumed Apple would be paying Google for this.

You're right... this is not the usual "free" service that Google provides to make money from ads. This is, instead, a paid product from Google.

So I don't know why Google wouldn't be charging Apple enough to actually make a profit on it. That doesn't make any sense at all.

That tweet said Amazon lost money from Apple too. However... Amazon's cloud business is booming. It has been reported that AWS is 52% of Amazon's operating profit. And AWS' profit is bigger than the rest of Amazon combined.

So what is it about Apple's specific needs? How can cloud companies lose money from Apple... yet make money from other clients?

This is very weird.

If Apple came knocking to purchase cloud services from me... I wouldn't do it unless I made money. Right?
well, on forums like this a lot of people discuss about matters they don't really understand, pretending to be wise and expert.
I have no knowledge about this kind of economic deals between huge multinational companies like Google and Apple.
I'm assuming Google has good motivations to have to most profitable company in the world using their cloud service.

why do they need to use Google's or Amazon's then?
They are not going to rely ENTIRELY on Google's service.
We don't know technical details, but redundancy is a key word on this kind of services.

I hope you're right. They also did it with the Bing Spotlight Search results, but a cloud service is a different beast. It might not be a coincidence that Apple plans to encrypt iPhone backups on icloud. http://techcrunch.com/2016/02/25/ap...loud-more-secure-to-keep-the-government-away/
It could be partially related, but even as of today Apple is using a third party service (Amazon's), so this isn't the only motivation.
Actually iCloud data are encrypted but Apple has the keys.
This is a policy (and responsibility) Apple doesn't want. They are looking forward to change it.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I'm assuming Google has good motivations to have to most profitable company in the world using their cloud service.

I just find it odd that the two largest cloud service companies in the world would agree to take on a client like Apple... and lose money from the deal.

Yeah there's gotta be some reason. Story developing :)

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I just find it odd that the two largest cloud service companies in the world would agree to take on a client like Apple... and lose money from the deal.

Yeah there's gotta be some reason. Story developing :)
Maybe the blogger has got it all wrong? I doubt if he knows the full details of Apple and Google's financial agreements and frankly the idea that Google would host it's biggest rival's cloud services while not making a profit from it sounds very dubious.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Maybe the blogger has got it all wrong? I doubt if he knows the full details of Apple and Google's financial agreements and frankly the idea that Google would host it's biggest rival's cloud services while not making a profit from it sounds very dubious.
Could be.

But he kinda stuck his neck out there on Twitter. His tweet will live forever!

I would hope a paid writer for "The Information" and formerly of the WSJ wouldn't make stuff up :)

appahappa

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2010
Why not? Google is really good at that. Spotify currently also is moving it's data to Google platform.

Suspended
Mar 30, 2015
I thought a computer company as big and rich as Apple would have their own data centers...
No kidding. I guess all that money went into the new Apple Campus, and the rest is being stored away just so they can stare at it.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Hmm, those massive data centres in NC, Nevada & Oregon not

Not for people that live in Europe or China they're not no, they're half way around the world. You do know the majority of Apple's users don't even live in the US right?

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Since when Apple is Google's biggest rival ? Last time I checked Apple isn't in the advertising market...
Google provide for many service for the Apple ecosystem: Gmail, Google Maps ... a lot of those.

Google is an huge Apple supporter, because they need Apple's customers subscriptions.
[doublepost=1458213066][/doublepost]
Could be.

But he kinda stuck his neck out there on Twitter. His tweet will live forever!

I would hope a paid writer for "The Information" and formerly of the WSJ wouldn't make stuff up :)
I think he knows about the deal much more than us ;)

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Ummm...Apple have all the money in the world and hundreds of gigantic data farms, why are they not hosting iCloud completely by themselves?

Because they don't have hundreds of gigantic data farms at all. They have some in the US. Google and Amazon are web based platforms and as such have built lots of redundant server space around the world which has turned into a cloud business model for them - its their way of trying to recoup the money on having to invest so much into servers to have their own businesses run properly. They've literally got it in every corner of the world - it makes more financial sense for Apple to levy the same hardware they'd install themselves at reduced prices than it does to build it all over the world because Apple isn't primarily web based but also Apple wouldn't want to become a cloud hosting provider too, to make the server farms financially viable.

Basically it would cost about 50x more (and a hell of a lot of time) for Apple to build all this to get the same results by just using what another company already has available. People need to forget that its Apple or Amazon really though - its not them in terms of "APPLE ARE WORKING WITH ANDROID" like idiots would suggest - they're just hiring out their redundant server space to reduce the costs of their own business model (and it some cases attempting to actually make money from it)

tatonka

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009
I'm not sure I trust having my data go to Google any more than I would to the FBI...What guarantees would we have that Google is respecting the privacy of the data on iCloud?

(link)

Nothing of this has to anything to do with server farms. It is not like Apple integrated the iCloud data with any Google data .. they simple rented a bunch of computers from them. Google has no access to the data stored on these machine by any legal ways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.