Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
In a April 28, 2002 letter to the FCC from Apple Computer:

Apple Computer wishes to apply for a Limited Modular Approval of a 2.4 GHz BlueTooth Module. The module is to be used only in Apple manufactured computers including the Apple ibook and Apple Titanium. Two unique antennas are included in this application because of unique enclosure restrictions between the computers. Where applicable, data is provided for each antenna.

Test photos of a Titanium Powerbook are available on an FCC site. The test Powerbook is labeled P59, and what appears to be an external version of the Bluetooth module. The photo is dated from May 2002. Of interest, the leaked PowerMac photos were labeled as Apple P58 models.

Also available is the Apple Bluetooth instruction manual which states that "Your computer includes Bluetooth technology..." and also claims that you can synch data between your computer and Bluetooth-enabled Palm Powered handheld devices. Palm recently announced the release of Bluetooth enabled Palms.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
I Wonder if this will filter down to the desktops ?

I'm looking at getting a mobile soon so knowing that a future mac model doesn't need a USB bluetooth adapter is a good thing.

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
Dead Links?

I can't access any of the non-Macrumors.com hosted files.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Dead Links?

Originally posted by dricci
I can't access any of the non-Macrumors.com hosted files.

wow... that was quick.

arn

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
If anyone can send them to me, I may be able to put up a mirror somewhere

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
You might want to say they have been pulled. Just to let you know.

As for the bluetooth, awesome. If bluetooth gets popular then that would be awesome. Especially for a laptop, no extra wires which can really hender portability. I would love if Bluetooth moved to the desktops, and if apple redid their pro-keyboard and pro-mouse. The pro-keyboard is okay, it just has nothing special. I would like if it had some more functions on the keyboard. I know not everyone loves functions like I do, but I sure have loved my Logitech Elite Keyboard.. Now, I hate the apple pro-mouse. I hate it because, like most things from apple, it is horribly overpriced. I can get a microsoft mouse that has a scroll wheel and 2 buttons for $35 cheaper, that will function just as well. After using my Microsoft Wheel mouse optical I would die using the 'pro'-mouse (and sometimes the mouse is hard to click if you don't push down on the right spot). Well, anyways, if apple redid these 2 products, and made them blootooth devices, then that would be sooooooooo cool.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
The potential of Bluetooth has still to be fully realized, but by providing an internal antenna and not a external dongal, Apple is most likely on the edge of a future trend in personal computing. Right now there isn't all that much gaget wise that's available to take advantage of it, however, putting a couple bluetooth machines in the same room should be enough to set up a link.

I'm really going to be interested in seeing Apple brand name some new devices using BlueTooth - which I see as a good possibility very soon.

Expanding that digital hub....

D

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
truth....

So it really is true when Apple finds something has leaked, the pull it really quick. Too bad they didn't pull the Powerbook Duo photo. I would have loved that. One question, what's the benefit of bluetooth beyond wireless mobile phone sync up? And what is it's range? Is it like an Airport only weaker? I'm a bit confused....

beefstu01

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2002
CA
The FCC stuff is back up. I just loaded it. I'll download the stuff in a few and if someone wants to setup a mirror, just gimme your e-mail and I'll zip it off to you.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
It's pretty exciting to see some concrete support for all the speculation as to built-in Bluetooth in new Apple portables.

Next week is looking more promising everyday...:D

beefstu01

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2002
CA
The FCC server is pretty darn slow and unreliable. I'm trying to dload the pdf's, but it's rigged to a cgi script that retrieves the pdf from somewhere, so it's gonna take me some time to find the actually file. I will personally vouch that they exist.

The pictures were nothing spectacular. There was a TiBook sitting in a large room on a table made of PVC piping. The computer had a bunch of stickers on it, but hey, that doesn't really matter, it's what the FCC used to label it, and basically they were testing the emissions of the bluetooth device. There was a bluetooth thingy hooked into the computer (it was external, but it was on a pc board, so it'll be internal), and was duct taped onto the table. It looked like a normal powerbook, but had a bluetooth device hooked up to it.

The manual is the exact thing as the description- says that you've got a bluetooth chip in your computer, and this is how you use it. On the bottom of each page it did say "Apple Confidential" and the copyright notice was 2002.

I'm working on it dloading these things so you can see them yourself, but I will say that it is not a hoax, but the real deal. Anyone else who saw the pdf's can back me up.

Looks like we might be gettin bluetooth in the next Titaniums

Cheers

>>Edit<<

Forgot to say that there is almost n way in hell that Apple could get the pdf's off of the FCC's site. The FCC publishes everything it tests, and since his does not involve national security, it's open for anybody to see.

cyclone

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2002
microsoft mouse

Hi there.

Seems to be my first posting (I'm pretty excited to get my first mac on 6th ;-) )

Question:
Do you think the Microsoft Bluetooth mouse works with the internal bluetooth chips?
In the instruction manual of the mouse, MS does not mention support for MACs (they did for all other ms mice).

Now, is bluetooth somehow auto-configuring and let's me use the mouse once it's discovered?

thanks,
chris

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
I just downloaded the file it is 1.6mb. It contains 4 pictures. The server worked for me, I hope it works for the rest of you.

UPDATE: I just noticed that the picture shows a USB cable to connect to the bluetooth device.

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
Re: microsoft mouse

Originally posted by cyclone
Hi there.

Seems to be my first posting (I'm pretty excited to get my first mac on 6th ;-) )

Question:
Do you think the Microsoft Bluetooth mouse works with the internal bluetooth chips?
In the instruction manual of the mouse, MS does not mention support for MACs (they did for all other ms mice).

Now, is bluetooth somehow auto-configuring and let's me use the mouse once it's discovered?

thanks,
chris
Welcome, Chris.

The intention of bluetooth technology is for it to be incredibly transparent and easy to use. So while the bluetooth connection itself (the one in your computer) would need a driver, it should be able to auto-discover and use other bluetooth devices. Now, these things change over time, and it seems unrealistic to me that one piece of hardware/software should be able to control my mouse, TV, coffeemaker, and ceiling fan without additional drivers.

I've been following bluetooth's development for 2+ years, and they have always touted its ease of configuration and use as one of its great strengths. It seems reasonable to expect that you should be able to use your mouse with very little (if any) tweaking (although you might need a new driver for your ceiling fan.

I will remember to be jealous of you on the 6th.

Chris

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
I can look at the files, maybe it is because I have a PC, but that seems unlikely. Ummmm, the PDF is just as beefstu01 said they were. The laptop looks like the current ones. I am guessing that the laptop is a current one, and that is why the blue tooth is external. I can't wait for these to come out. Hopefully it will be Nov. 5 or 6.

sandsl

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2002
Links not working for me.

Please could someone send me the pdf(s) and the images to

luke.sands@btinternet.com

Thanks alot!!!

Luke

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
Thanks, al--mostly helped me realize that the pictures aren't all that exciting.

Also, since these are part of the public record, I wonder if people need to worry about displaying them at all. Seems like there would be littel Apple could complain about.

Chris

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Welcome Chris, cyclone glad to have you aboard. What kind of mac are you purchasing on the 6th? Should be the correct day.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.