Apple Introduces 'Health Records' Section Coming to Health App in iOS 11.3

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 24, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today revealed an update coming to the Health app in the iOS 11.3 beta, which will bring a "Health Records" section to the app and allow users to see their medical records from various providers. The updated Health Records area will combine hospitals, clinics, and other information from Health "to make it easy for consumers to see their available medical data from multiple providers whenever they choose."

[​IMG]

Some of the first provider partners include John Hopkins Medicine, Cedars-Sinai, Penn Medicine, and various other hospitals and clinics. Apple explained that the update is intended to serve as a consumer-friendly solution to easily access medical records, which were previously housed across multiple websites and online repositories. The company said it created Health Records based on Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (FHIR), which provides the standard for transferring electronic medical records.
    Health Records will provide an overall view of a user's allergies, conditions, immunizations, lab results, medications, procedures, and vitals. The Health app will also now notify them when their Health Records data is updated, which is encrypted and protected by the iPhone passcode as well.

Apple said that more medical facilities will be connected to Health Records in the coming months, further expanding the amount of users who have access to the feature. The full list of medical institutions that are supported on the iOS 11.3 beta include:
    Apple today also previewed iOS 11.3, stating that iPhone users will be able to view battery health and disable Apple's power management when the update comes out this spring.

Article Link: Apple Introduces 'Health Records' Section Coming to Health App in iOS 11.3

2. iLoveDeveloping macrumors 6502

Great stuff. But that’s going to take about 10 years to come to Europe! So annoying...

3. johnyslats Contributor

johnyslats

Developer preview coming later today according to footnote

4. Mac-lover3, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018

Mac-lover3 macrumors 6502

Mac-lover3

I'm really looking forward to 10.3. Most of the time X.3 updates the OS gets really good (read: less bugs). Also let's pray for iMessage in iCloud.

EDIT: I mean 11.3

5. JM macrumors 6502a

JM

That will be helpful!

But they have to partner with hospitals. That will be like Sprint LTE rollout slow...

6. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

This is excellent news. I’m really hoping that this rollout is smooth, and that it encourages other hospital systems to join.

Having easy access to one’s healthcare records is extremely important and it makes total sense for your phone (iPhone) to securely store it for you.

7. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

Should be a downloaded app, not stuck on your iPhone forever

8. jhall1jax macrumors newbie

They looking to expand the Health Records section even when they don't even have the basics covered in Results? Why, after several years, can I not track my blood cholesterol levels? I don't get it; this has been suggested since it was released 3+ years ago. I can track my "Electrodermal Activity" easily. But not cholesterol. That alone makes Health not useful for many (at least, as an all-in-one place to store all your health info, as promoted), no matter how much they improve the other aspects.

9. Tokenfreak macrumors 6502

Tokenfreak

Yes i hope for iMessages in iCloud too.

10. Finnaqua macrumors newbie

Finnaqua

Maybe I do not see the importance of iMessages in iCloud. So what for we need that? the iCloud account could be higher with this, no?

11. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Doesn't sound very interesting, teen focused, and u.s centric functionality only in the health records.

12. honglong1976 macrumors 6502a

honglong1976

I hope the actual health app gets revised as well. It was superb, everyone was viewable on the same screen and then it changed to the total cluttered garbage it is today!

13. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

The hard part I'm afraid is convincing providers to participate. I track several metrics for my health and try to show the data to my physicians. They have little to no interest because I generated the data. This addition will hopefully help things since the data in records should come from them and other providers. It would be nice if my test results would simply appear in the app and notify me they are ready to view.

14. honglong1976 macrumors 6502a

honglong1976

Surely any data will help diagnosis better than no data!

I had a debate with a physician on here before regarding this. Sure, the Apple Watch and iPhone are not as accurate as approved devices but the data (which could be years) is surely, better than no data at all. Especially regarding exercise and heart rate.

15. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Off topic but the main benefit is synchronization. Not the delivery of the iMessage which already happens but the syncing of changes like deleting a message or message element from one device, it will delete from the others as well. Today it only is removed from the one device you delete on.

16. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

A provider who doesn't want to look at user generated data is equivalent to a provider who doesn't want to listen to you if you say something's wrong. You might want to consider switching.

17. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

My cardiologist challenged my heat rate data just last week with the statement his hardware was more accurate. I assume it is since to use it I had to wear sticky pads and a bunch of wires. He was not interested at all in my collected data but it was the data that prompted me to make an appointment. I'm fine based on the tests and will continue to wear my watch as I have since launch so its still relevant to me.

18. spacemnspiff macrumors 6502a

spacemnspiff

Me likey, this could potentially be a useful feature.

19. honglong1976 macrumors 6502a

honglong1976

Agreed! The data may not be accurate but it may be an approximation of what's happening. As opposed to no data at all. There may be patterns which could be detected. To discount this data seems silly really!

20. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Its not that he won't listen and look at it, its that he will not rely on it to make a diagnosis. I understand that, they want to do the testing themselves. My point here is, if he and his peers generate the data and the app collects it I will have more acceptable (to them) data to provide that I can track and they are willing to use. Most doctors that I see are generally not ready to trust consumer hardware for results.

21. ghostface147 macrumors 68020

ghostface147

Well 10.3 came out last year, so yeah.

22. Jacquesass macrumors regular

I didn’t check all of the listed hospitals, but Hopkins, Penn and Cedars-Sinai all use Epic for their EHR (as do 11 of the top 12 US hospitals by US News & World Report). Epic is probably the lead at sharing info, as it already shares info among other Epic-using hospital systems as well as some other competing EHR’s (e.g., Athena). If Apple Health links directly to Epic, that would cover many of the US academic hospitals.

MedStar uses Cerner EHR (the overall marketshare leader) so that shows that Apple Health can talk to more than one EHR - even though Cerner can’t talk to Epic (yet).

23. Mac-lover3 macrumors 6502

Mac-lover3

Ever had to restore from scratch without having a back-up on iTunes?
    Will hopefully also make end the terrible syncing between Mac & iOS devices.

24. sdhalpern macrumors newbie

If anyone knows someone at apple or in the FHIR community working on or familiar with this project - we'd love to connect. We have 10K patients that would love having their data in iOS's Health app. We have a full-stack development team as well. Looking for documentation and introductions!

25. Coffee50 macrumors 6502

I think Apple has a Healthcare section (for providers) on their site that you could reach out to. Maybe they could get you connected or at least help you get to the next step for implementation.

They also have a contact number for businesses.