Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced a new feature for the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus called "Live Photos," allowing users to use the new 3D Touch feature on the iPhone to see quick, GIF-like movements in photos they have taken. The Live Photos feature is reminiscent of the fantastical moving photos featured in the Harry Potter movie, allowing users to see short bits of animation in their images.

Apple emphasized that Live Photos are not video, they're photos taken with all of the same high-quality camera capabilities brought to the new generation of iPhone, but they include an extra 1.5 seconds of footage at the beginning and the end of the photo to enable the mini animations. These animations are displayed when force pressing on a photo and when scrolling through photos in the Camera Roll.

f1441824921-800x448.jpg

According to Apple, Live Photos will be able to be viewed on the entire line-up of the Mac, iPhone, iPad, and even Apple Watch line. Users will even be able to use the new feature to set up Live Photos as a lock screen on iPhone, and even use the feature to make custom motion wallpapers for the Apple Watch. With a Live Photo as an Apple Watch face, it'll animate each time you raise your wrist to look at the time.

Article Link: Apple Introduces Moving 'Live Photos' for iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
can they work on AppleTV...for images/wallpapers or whatever they showed off?

Chad-VI

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2014
So does that mean that all motion wallpapers are 6S exclusive? Or just the one you shoot with your iPhone? The fish ones seem to be part of iOS9 since they didn't say anything about them.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I'm scared. No mention of battery life.
I'll have to look again when they post the video, but the battery in the flyover was listed with fewer mAh than the current 6.

Couldn't see voltage or the Whr rating, but I presume the cell voltage is the same. I also don't know the power draw. And it was a graphic, so no idea if it's accurate.

So, basically I have no information. I was just proud of myself for looking at the component values in the video and thought I'd share.

wait, so now every single photo you take with your iPhone will actually be a 3 second video??? Not sure I like that.

How does that affect storage size? How does that affect battery life? What's the quality of the "video"? Can you view the "video" on anything else besides your iPhone? Once transfered to your Mac/iPad/anywhere will it truly be reduced to a static image (and all associated size reductions that go with it)?

Reactions: karthik2809

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
wait, so now every single photo you take with your iPhone will actually be a 3 second video???
It's on by default but you can switch it off.
How does that affect storage size? How does that affect battery life? What's the quality of the "video"?
The question of file size is probably the most interesting one. I wouldn't worry about battery life too much, just using the iPhone as the viewfinder reads the sensor and plays the video stream of it. I'd say at that moment showing this 'viewfinder video' on the screen is the major energy consumer. This adds compressing the video in the background (so it has the past 1.5 seconds stored) and writing that to disk, though maybe it can do all this in memory.

Can you view the "video" on anything else besides your iPhone? Once transfered to your Mac/iPad/anywhere will it truly be reduced to a static image?
Maybe the article was updated after you posted your comment but it now reads:
"Live Photos will be able to be viewed on the entire line-up of the Mac, iPhone, iPad, and even Apple Watch line."
This was also mentioned during the keynote.

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
This should be used in a dictionary.
It's the very definition of a gimmick. Nothing else ever came close except for maybe will-I-am's iPhone acessory.

Reactions: marf1million

1800AirTAG

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2014
wait, so now every single photo you take with your iPhone will actually be a 3 second video??? Not sure I like that.

How does that affect storage size? How does that affect battery life? What's the quality of the "video"? Can you view the "video" on anything else besides your iPhone? Once transfered to your Mac/iPad/anywhere will it truly be reduced to a static image (and all associated size reductions that go with it)?

You clearly have a problem with that beings you posted it three times :-D

By default, yes, every image will be an image with a "3 second video", if you send it to someone without a 6s/6s Plus they will get it as an image, but, there is the option to turn it off... in face when he first mentioned it he stated "it is on by default" which means you can turn it off if you do not want it.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
I'm scared. No mention of battery life.
The display is of the same size and resolution, and that one is among the most power consuming parts of a phone. I think the difference is so small either way that it wasn't worth mentioning.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Yes, lots of other cameras/devices have been able to do this for years - it's a fun gimmick to use occasionally. Not "keynote-focus-worthy," but a nice add.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.