Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While the big news today was Apple's release of new iMacs, a new Magic Mouse, updated Mac minis, and a refreshed MacBook, Apple also quietly updated several other hardware products.

Apple today introduced a new aluminum Apple Remote priced at $19 and shipping in 2-4 weeks. Compatible with any Mac made since 2005 with an infrared port, the new remote offers a circular navigation wheel and separate menu and play/pause buttons. The remote is also compatible with the iPhone and iPods when using an iPod Universal Dock.

131504-aluminum_apple_remote.jpg
Apple also updated its AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule models today. The new models reportedly offer up to 50% better wireless performance and 25% better range than the previous models due to a revised antenna design. The new Time Capsule also offer up to 60% faster Time Machine backups than on earlier models when using Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

Article Link: Apple Introduces New Aluminum Remote, Improves Performance on AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Omg please stop i cant!!!! i will be homeless!!

$19.00 for this beautiful piece of design? YES

Comment

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I've never had an Apple Remote go bad.

1. Any word on whether the nav wheel is scrollable iPod style?

2. Any word on whether the new remote is Apple TV compatible? Don't see why it wouldn't be, but they don't mention it in the store.

Comment

iSimx

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007
ahh all these new apple products :D

the remote looks awesome.

Comment

APPLENEWBIE

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
The high desert, USA
I hope the new remote is a little bigger and less "loseable". the dust bunnies in my couch have apparently apprehended at least three of the little buggers. They seem to eat them.

Comment

coreyaustin

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2009
Alright no bluray today. But bluetooth for this remote would have been really cool! Still it looks amazing.

Comment

davidbrummy

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
I'm in

The current remote is a bit crap so I may get this.

Is there a universal remote out there that includes the AppleTv?

Comment

robgreene

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2008
No tv compatibility?

Seriously... Arn and company, can y'all check with your sources and find out why there's no mention of the tv with this new remote? Are they done with their hobby? That would be truly awful news, in my opinion (I own two of them!).

Comment

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Seriously... Arn and company, can y'all check with your sources and find out why there's no mention of the tv with this new remote? Are they done with their hobby? That would be truly awful news, in my opinion (I own two of them!).

It does say "Compatible with Apple products introduced in 2005 or later that have a built-in infrared (IR) receiver." which should include the Apple TV.

Comment

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
Only just bought my Time Capsule 2TB now its out of date. Certainly wasnt expecting an update to the TC that soon, thought it was only updated a few months ago?

Oh well, this one will probably be dead in a few months anyway lol :rolleyes:

Comment

STSNorthstar

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2008
Is it still magnetic? The play/pause was moved to below the wheel. is the center button now a mute? Is it even clickable?

Comment

Detlev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Hmm, the remote is no longer included in the iMac purchase (not that I mind—I found it useless).

Can someone tell me what the story is with these 18 month old TCs? I purchased a few months ago (just before the last upgrade). Am I safe putting data on it?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.