MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple recently updated its Made for iPhone (MFi) licensing guidelines for case manufacturers, requiring all future cases designed for the iPhone to protect the device from falls up to one meter on hard surfaces.

As described by sources that spoke to 9to5Mac, to comply with Apple's new guidelines, case manufacturers will need to ensure that a 1 meter (or 3.2 foot) drop from any orientation will not cause any damage to the phone, on its front, back, or sides.

Cases are also required to protect the iPhone's glass screen when laying face down on a surface, with a lip that offers a buffer of at least 1mm between the glass display and the surface or a case that covers the display entirely. Apple's own iPhone 6 and 6 Plus cases are compliant with these requirements, providing both drop protection and a ridge around the edges of the device to protect the display.

siliconecaselargeiphone.jpg
Apple has also updated its guidelines with several environmentally hazardous materials that are no longer able to be used in the construction of iPhone cases, including formaldehyde (used in paints and adhesives), phthalates (plasticizer used for increased flexibility), perfluorooctane sulfonate (fluorosurfactant), perfluorooctanoic acid (fluorosurfactant), polybrominated diphenyl ethers (a flame retardant), and polybrominated biphenyls (a flame retardant). Many of these substances are already restricted in both the United States and in Europe.

Apple's MFi licensing program requires manufacturers that create iPhone and iPad accessories to comply with a strict set of guidelines to achieve certification that ensures the accessory meets Apple's performance standards.

The MFi program enables third-party manufacturers to use of Apple technology like the headphone jack, the Lightning connector, and more, and compliance allows manufacturers to use the "Made for iPhone" logo on their packaging, which ensures consumers that accessories work properly with the iPhone and iPad.

Article Link: Apple Introduces New Guidelines Requiring iPhone Cases to Protect Phones From 1 Meter Drops

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Not sure how many case manufacturers case about the MFi program (I could be dead wrong) but given that a non-battery case has little need to have that accreditation for many consumers to buy it, why adhere to strict guidelines like this.

Clearly Apple wants to have as much control if they are allowing their branding. Makes sense. Esp since broken screens and bent phones are something the genius desk has to deal with.

I do wonder if in the future, AppleCare will adjust their policy to only be inclusive of accredited cases, etc for claims.

jm527

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2014
Umm, 1 meters - already compliant?

this is a dropped iphone 6+ in an Apple leather case. you know, one of the two that cost $50 right after they came out.

AFTER a .5 meter drop. Please take notice the fine details of CRACKS EVERYWHERE!!! dropped iphone.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BCWorld

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2011
Atlanta GA
Not a troll comment, I will never protect my iphone with an apple case ever again, the ipad cases are great but the iphone case suck, dropped my iPhone 5s last year while getting out of the car and cracked the entire screen, I was livid. The choice is yours though, good luck to you all... :mad:

AND My iPhone 5s looked like the iphone 6 plus in the above referenced comment just in case you wanted a picture. ������������

Last edited:

Rychiar

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
how does apple's case comply with that wide open bottom edge? you can make a case with a lightning adapter/dock compatible opening at the bottom and not have it be wide open. Elago is doing so with the glide... I dropped my iPhone 6 plus on an eliptical machine from about 3 meters and that open edge on the apple case hit the machine just right and shattered the screen. not fun:mad:

bpeeps

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2011
this is a dropped iphone 6+ in an Apple leather case. you know, one of the two that cost $50 right after they came out.

AFTER a .5 meter drop. Please take notice the fine details of CRACKS EVERYWHERE!!! View attachment 519046

If you're expecting a case to do the work you should be doing, aka being careful with your phone, you're probably holding it wrong.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
Um what? How about no. I want my extra thin case because I DONT DROP MY PHONE...

I just want something on it to protect from scratches..

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States

AFTER a .5 meter drop. Please take notice the fine details of CRACKS EVERYWHERE!!! View attachment 519046

I feel deeply sorry for you. I been dropping my iPhone 6 everywhere there's concrete and not a single crack. That is without the case and pure awesome luck.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
Strange though that Apple's own case is exposed at the bottom where the lighting cable goes. Not much of a lip there and easy for it to make direct contact when dropped.

I understand its to make it more compatible with docks and or cables, but man it seems risky if the whole point is to help it in a drop. I would rather it would wrap around all the way like previous versions did, still allowing access to ports.

discounteggroll

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I don't get it...how can apple force a third party company to ensure their product protects a device from accidental damage? Will the company be banned from making cases for their products?

KanosWRX

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
LOL, so you can't make a case for the iphone unless you follow what Apple says? Or you just can't say its MFI certified? Why can't anyone just make a case the way they want and say its for a iPhone #. This seems retarded to me. That's fine if they want to slap a label on that says tested up to 1 meter.. but telling case makers you can't put "made for iphone 6" on the box unless it complies is just stupid. Not to mention I hate cases that have a ridge around the entire phone, it collects so much dust when you put it in and take it out of your pocket, I like having the top and bottom, or at least one free and clear so I can easily wipe the dust off.. Apple you are really going to far with this.. I didn't know it was April 1st today.

Radin.Y

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Michigan
If you're expecting a case to do the work you should be doing, aka being careful with your phone, you're probably holding it wrong.

Being "careful" has nothing to do with it! Maybe it does a little bit, but accidents happen! I've had three iPhones for 6 years, none have had shattered screen. But they've been saved by a good case during accidents many times. And that's the thing. They are accidents, they happen!

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A

Yes, let's all baby our phones all of the time instead of using a case to mitigate damage from accidental drops :rolleyes: that's what cases are for

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Being "careful" has nothing to do with it! Maybe it does a little bit, but accidents happen! I've had three iPhones for 6 years, not have had shattered screen. But they've been saved by a good case during accidents many times. And that's the thing. They are accidents, they happen!

Don't bother, some people are just perfect and never have had any accidents whatsoever...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.