Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At today's iPhone-centric event, Apple briefly introduced a new second-generation AirPods case that features support for wireless charging.

The AirPods Case is physically identical to the current-generation AirPods Case, with the exception of a charging indicator light located on the outside of the case instead of the inside.

airpods-1-and-2-800x487.jpg

Apple's new AirPods Case will work with the company's upcoming "AirPower" wireless charging mat, which will be able to charge the AirPods, the Apple Watch Series 3, and the iPhone X or iPhone 8 simultaneously.

Apple does not yet appear to be offering the new AirPods Case either on a standalone basis or in a set with AirPods. It may be coming at a later date, as the AirPower charging accessory is not expected to ship until 2018.

Article Link: Apple Introduces New Second-Generation AirPods Case With Wireless Charging Support

Reactions: RiddlaBronc

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
This really brings the question... Will the Beats Studio3 Wireless support AirPower? That would be awesome as they lack lightning..

Bamff

macrumors regular
May 6, 2013
If wireless charging is the only update to the AirPods, imo I'll pass. I've got a set and was curious to see the new iteration of them would have to offer.

Reactions: SqB

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Hmmm, I want to order why first set of AirPods, but will have to wait until they come with the new wireless charging case. (gotta have it!)

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I think i'll wait till rev 3. I only charge airpods like once a week, so the charging pad doesn't really seem that useful to me. Also with Apple Watch you don't get nightstand mode...

Reactions: SqB and yegon

SlyMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
Bummer, really wanted to see at least some different colors to the airpors at a more reasonable price than third party soloutions.

u2194739

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2010
Airpower... wonder how fast it will charge the devices.... will it be slower than charging with the cable I wonder....

Reactions: ColdShadow

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Now how much would just a new case cost?
Apple charges $69 for lost AirPods charging case. I am guessing it will cost the same. Hopefully, Apple will offer a bundle pricing if purchased with AirPower.

mondaiguy

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2010
Missed opportunity to change the "molds" in the case to where you could just easily put the AirPods into the case after taking them out of your ears without having to rotate them. And taking them out, you have to rotate them before putting them in your ear. Just don't understand that design?

Reactions: liberte1776

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
Maybe I fell a sleep or something. But did they really mention Apple W2? Is that a thing at this point? I didn't catch that at all.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Dang, I wish the AirPods came with the new case now. I want a pair, but i will not order until they come with the new case.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Missed opportunity to change the "molds" in the case to where you could just easily put the AirPods into the case after taking them out of your ears without having to rotate them. And taking them out, you have to rotate them before putting them in your ear. Just don't understand that design?
I just put them on, put them away. Never been concerned with or worried about rotation.
Seems OCD.

leviathan777

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2014
If you don't feel like waiting I wonder if you could go to the genius bar and get a replacement case? Used to work there and we usually had "parts" for replacement for things that weren't available on the shelves. I'm sure there would be a cost associated for your case.

I wonder if we can order just the case, had a little puppy get ahold mine and willing to wait for an upgrade in replacement
[doublepost=1505247335][/doublepost]I really hope that the price tag for a new case is sub 50 dollars. and then... what do you do with the old one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.