Apple Introduces New Second-Generation AirPods Case With Wireless Charging Support

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2017.

1. SqB macrumors 6502

I just drop them in as-is and then give the case a little shake. They fall right into place and you can slap the lid closed.

Also very happy to not have a week old pair of outdated pods. Not interested in Qi charging for them. They don’t really need charged that often and I use them a lot already.

2. Anuba, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017

Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

It's about branding and stubborn principle, mostly. Their subsidiary Beats has no problem offering their products in a gazillion different colors, but Apple will only offer the giant melted Q-Tips look.

Ironically, every time they deviate from the principle and make something in black, they love it. Like the original iPod Nano, which marked the beginning of the 2 color option era (black/white iPods, iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, plastic MacBooks). Or the space grey/black keyboard+mouse combo for the iMac Pro. But they just can't let go of those white earbuds that have been such a strong part of the branding ever since those silhouette ads. Too bad... they would look great in space grey, jet black or product RED.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 12, 2017 ---
    Yeah, I have two docks and two HiRise stands around the house (desk, nightstand etc) because I hate fiddling with cables and I also hate having the phone lying flat on a table, I want it standing so I can see the display. As for iPad, which will have wireless charging eventually I'm sure, I often charge it while I'm using it (playing battery draining games or watching movies). Tethered but usable. An iPad or iPhone on a Qi pad can't be used while charging (except streaming audio I guess).

3. Marx55 macrumors 68000

Wireless charging = waste of energy = anti-ecological. Global warming and climate change.

4. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

5. Belazor macrumors member

Belazor

That was my concern as well, although mine are more like a month or two old.

6. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I was hoping the Keynote would tell me whether or not I needed to return mine. But I still don't know.

7. subjonas macrumors 68000

If the Qi charger is small and magnetic you can charge and use at the same time. True for iPhone now, depends how it's implemented on iPad. Inductive charging doesn't take away any convenience, it only adds.

8. TPD144 macrumors newbie

TPD144

--- Post Merged, Sep 19, 2017 ---
    No worries!! Go to amazon and search "AirPod skins". They have black and they look awesome.
    I'm also considering the connectors that go around your neck. They have magnets and click together around your neck. Pretty awesome and not very expensive.

9. atikalz macrumors regular

atikalz

I don't want skins. I want native black.

10. ColdShadow macrumors 65816

ColdShadow

So when is the new version available?
    I know it's just the case that differs, but still if someone wants to buy AirPods now, it should be the new version with wireless case.

11. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

12. liberte1776 macrumors regular

So have they finally announced the shipping date for the updated ones??!!

I think it is bad form to announce products in 2017 that do not ship to 2018, screws up gift giving ideas.

13. Askolan Suspended

Why? Wireless headphones deserve wireless charging. If you want cable-less, why not go all the way?

14. Zapdoc macrumors member

Can the new ones be charged with a cable rather than wireless ?

15. LotusLord macrumors 6502a

LotusLord

The Capital of the Land of Cheese and Beer
    Almost certainly. We won't know though until the case actually comes out.

16. wannabelean macrumors 6502

Is this yet to be launched or has it launched? Unable to tell

17. chrfr macrumors 604

It does not currently exist.

18. DSTOFEL macrumors 6502a

I think I’ll hold off for one more year and see if Apple releases a v2 of the airpods...unless the current version goes on deep discount.

19. LotusLord macrumors 6502a

LotusLord

The Capital of the Land of Cheese and Beer
    That's what I did as well. I actually picked up two pairs of beats wireless headphones intended for working out somewhat on a whim while out christmas shopping and have been pretty happy with them so far. I've only used mine for podcasts and as a headset for phone calls so far and have good luck. Haven't heard what my wife thinks of her pair yet.