Apple Introduces New Second-Generation AirPods Case With Wireless Charging Support

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

At today's iPhone-centric event, Apple briefly introduced a new second-generation AirPods case that features support for wireless charging.

The AirPods Case is physically identical to the current-generation AirPods Case, with the exception of a charging indicator light located on the outside of the case instead of the inside.

[​IMG]

Apple's new AirPods Case will work with the company's upcoming "AirPower" wireless charging mat, which will be able to charge the AirPods, the Apple Watch Series 3, and the iPhone X or iPhone 8 simultaneously.

Apple does not yet appear to be offering the new AirPods Case either on a standalone basis or in a set with AirPods. It may be coming at a later date, as the AirPower charging accessory is not expected to ship until 2018.

Article Link: Apple Introduces New Second-Generation AirPods Case With Wireless Charging Support

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Wireless charging is convenient, but I still prefer lightning and I'm not entirely sold on the charging pad yet.

3. RamGuy macrumors 6502a

RamGuy

This really brings the question... Will the Beats Studio3 Wireless support AirPower? That would be awesome as they lack lightning..

4. Gyroworld macrumors member

Does anyone know if the new Airpods are using the W2 chip?

5. scottcampbell macrumors regular

Doesn't appear to be new AirPods, just an updated (optional) charging case for Qi.

6. Bamff macrumors regular

If wireless charging is the only update to the AirPods, imo I'll pass. I've got a set and was curious to see the new iteration of them would have to offer.

7. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

8. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Hmmm, I want to order why first set of AirPods, but will have to wait until they come with the new wireless charging case. (gotta have it!)

9. verniesgarden macrumors 65816

verniesgarden

I wonder if we can order just the case, had a little puppy get ahold mine and willing to wait for an upgrade in replacement

10. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I think i'll wait till rev 3. I only charge airpods like once a week, so the charging pad doesn't really seem that useful to me. Also with Apple Watch you don't get nightstand mode...

11. SlyMac macrumors 6502

SlyMac

Bummer, really wanted to see at least some different colors to the airpors at a more reasonable price than third party soloutions.

12. u2194739 macrumors newbie

Airpower... wonder how fast it will charge the devices.... will it be slower than charging with the cable I wonder....

13. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

Spoke with Apple Support and the AirPods themselves remain unchanged, it is just a new case that will be available stand alone. They do not have any expected availability date yet (which probably means along with AirPower mat in 2018)

14. Verita macrumors regular

Verita

Same AirPods, new case that charges slower on a mat... kinda wish they'd put W2 in there.

15. nutmac macrumors 68040

Apple charges $69 for lost AirPods charging case. I am guessing it will cost the same. Hopefully, Apple will offer a bundle pricing if purchased with AirPower.

16. profets macrumors 601

What would be interesting is W2 was described on stage as a chip for bluetooth + wifi. Wifi in future AirPods?

17. mondaiguy macrumors newbie

Missed opportunity to change the "molds" in the case to where you could just easily put the AirPods into the case after taking them out of your ears without having to rotate them. And taking them out, you have to rotate them before putting them in your ear. Just don't understand that design?

18. RamGuy macrumors 6502a

RamGuy

Maybe I fell a sleep or something. But did they really mention Apple W2? Is that a thing at this point? I didn't catch that at all.

19. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Dang, I wish the AirPods came with the new case now. I want a pair, but i will not order until they come with the new case.

20. atikalz macrumors regular

atikalz

Why no black Earpods? Not everyone likes to wear these white silver accessories.

21. sinsin07 macrumors 68040

I just put them on, put them away. Never been concerned with or worried about rotation.
    Seems OCD.

22. leviathan777 macrumors newbie

If you don't feel like waiting I wonder if you could go to the genius bar and get a replacement case? Used to work there and we usually had "parts" for replacement for things that weren't available on the shelves. I'm sure there would be a cost associated for your case.

--- Post Merged, Sep 12, 2017 ---
    I really hope that the price tag for a new case is sub 50 dollars. and then... what do you do with the old one?

23. raghu8912 macrumors regular

Apple Watch has W2 chip in them with WiFi & BT.

24. LotusLord macrumors 6502a

LotusLord

The Capital of the Land of Cheese and Beer
    I'd imagine yes it'll be slower, but will also depend on how many devices are charging. If you just put the phone on it it'll get all the power, and the more you add the slower each individual device will charge.

25. Nozuka macrumors 68020

glad my 2 or 3 weeks old airpods or not yet outdated afterall.