Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moulderine

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2019
64gb ....insulting

Great tho what this will do to ipad pro resale market. Might be some good deals for two year old models thanks to this

Rugbydman

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2009
Staffordshire, UK
What 11" ipad pro has over the new ipad air

- 0.1"
- up to 1T SSD
- 10MP Ultra Wide
- starting with 128GB instead of 64 SSD
- the dimensions and weight are almost the same
- 600 nits max brightness over 500nits on the air
- ProMotion technology
- Brighter True Tone flash
- Four speaker audio
- faceID / touchID
- LIDAR
- more Ram

So, i hope this will be helpful

I noticed the actual physical size is exactly the same as 11” pro yet they state air is 10.9”
air is lighter though

Rettun1

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2010
I'm thinking about buying older Pro with Face ID and 120Hz screen. Probably going to cost $600-700 after today's announcements.

after the pro’s were announced this year, I got a Refurbished 64gb 2018 pro for $499. Even after today’s announcement I’m happy with my decision (120hz is fantastic)

Reactions: PickUrPoison

tothedogsforme

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2019
I’d be fine with either the current size iPad mini with just a larger edge to edge screen, or a smaller iPad mini with the current screen size except one that also goes edge to edge. The benefit of the iPad mini over the iPhone Plus and Max has always been... that it can run iPad apps.
Makes sense. Honestly, never really considered it the other way around. Always assumed the apps always worked on iphones and only SOME were optomized for ipad with the full screen support vs. having to do that weird zoom thing.

wood1208

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2015
Why this company do no wrong ? I am waiting it to mess up so I can buy lots of AAPL.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
The new Air starts at 599$, the Pro 11” at 799$. So for people who do not care about ProMotion, quad-speakers and FaceID it is still a very good mid-range offering, IMO. The saved 200$ can then be put towards covers, pencils, magic keyboards and what not. ?

Who also don’t care about 64 gigs more base. There is no 128 on the Air like the Pro base. So you would be forced into 256 gig on the Air.

Reactions: xgman

tshepp84

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2020
I was anxiously awaiting the launch as well because I am in my 14-day return window of my 2020 iPad Pro 11" Call me silly, but one of the main things I love about the Pro for is the 120hz display and the Quad speakers. I am still a bit on the fence of "do I keep it or not" but since I got a ridiculous deal on it ($659 for 128GB) I don't think its really worth considering returning it for the 2020 Air. Guessing the 2020 Air 128GB will likely be $699 MSRP anyway so I'd spend more money for a different chip set with less A/V hardware features...

Also, maybe I am one of the very few that appreciates FaceID over TouchID. I didn't realize how much I liked it until I starting messing with my iPad Mini and was like "Dammit now I have to put my finger on it again" versus just swiping up and getting to it...

georgivelev

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2011
The new iPad Air / 256GB costs €800. Guess I’m good with my 12.9”/256 for €1200. I’m pretty content with the 4 speakers. The best Apple device I’ve ever owned.

I’m not envious of the new iPad. Unfortunately, the the upgrade from 64GB to 256GB costs close to €200. For that amount of money I can get a Samsung 1TB external SSD

Reactions: Deliro

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
The new Air starts at 599$, the Pro 11” at 799$. So for people who do not care about ProMotion, quad-speakers and FaceID it is still a very good mid-range offering, IMO. The saved 200$ can then be put towards covers, pencils, magic keyboards and what not. ?

But again you have to settle for 64 gigs base where the Pro comes with 128.

wave84

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
The new Air would have been fine at 500$. At 600 it kinda doesn't make sense anymore, 200 extra buys you so much more in a Pro.

augustrushrox

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2015
Makes sense. Honestly, never really considered it the other way around. Always assumed the apps always worked on iphones and only SOME were optomized for ipad with the full screen support vs. having to do that weird zoom thing.

The iPad mini can run both iPad and iOS apps (as long as the iPad mini’s internals are rated high enough per the developer) whereas any iPhone can ONLY run iOS apps. Yeah not all iOS apps are optimized for the iPad but you at least have the option to run them enlarged on iPads, whereas iPhones do not have the option to run iPad apps downscaled.

Reactions: Crow_Servo

whatta

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2017
So the 2020 iPad Pro and the entry level iPad has the same generation of CPU.

I wonder when the new iPad Pro with A14X and miniled coming out, if this year, then really completely killing the iPad Pro 2020..

limo79

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
if you keep the ipad in the dock, yes are thick, but if you use the ipad for touch, no, they aren't .
So, no
It does not matter. Screen has capacitive layer so if you need to have a dead zone around a working area you can set it in software settings!!! Both iPads looks like outdated products from 2014. They do not look sexy today! New color, better SoC and bull***t about being eco while Apple make everything to not repair it!

• Haha
Reactions: PickUrPoison

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Pretty decent update, makes me wonder what they intend on doing with the 11 inch pro. Little disappointed in the $100 price increase, makes me think that the ARM MacBook won’t be any cheaper than the Intel.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
Has everybody just collectively forgotten about the iPad mini? It only seems to get stealth spec bumps on random days of the year with no fanfare.

An iPad mini sized device with a larger edge to edge screen like the iPad Pro would be my dream device. I personally know more people with iPad minis than either iPad or iPad Pro. The mini’s perfect for being able to fit in a jacket pocket, able to be held edge to edge by one hand, and use full iPad apps and iPhone apps. It seems to be the runt of the litter, nobody seems to care much about it.

Probably because you need 20-something hawk eyes to use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.