Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

airport_express_2012.jpg
Apple today quietly introduced a redesigned AirPort Express wireless base station, drawing on the design of the Apple TV set-top box and introducing simultaneous dual-band 802.11n connectivity for increased performance.
The new AirPort Express supports simultaneous dual-band 802.11n Wi-Fi. That means it transmits at both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies at the same time. So no matter which band your wireless devices use, they'll automatically connect to the best available band for the fastest possible performance.
The redesigned AirPort Express continues to be offered at $99.

Article Link: Apple Introduces Redesigned AirPort Express

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
So this one doesn't plug directly into an outlet?

Not interested.

Yeah, that was a strange convenience of the other one. A build I'm working on depends on them, so I'm going to have to snatch up a bunch of the used plug-in models now.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
So this one doesn't plug directly into an outlet?

Not interested.

Yes, as much as I like the LAN port, I love the original design. Mine is plugged in in my garage with speakers connected for Airplay tunes in the back yard.

alexandero

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
I wish they had released a simple Airplay Audio device without any routing capabilities for $49 instead. Just a device with a 3.5mm audio minijack that joins existing wireless networks.

Aren't there enough owners of an Airport Extreme or Time Machine that just want to stream music to their speakers to warrant such an item?

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Seems silly to only include a 100mbit ethernet jack. If you're plugging this into a network that would severely cripple the capabilities of N.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
It always had one, they just added a second one now.

In the past it could only connect via ethernet and broadcast, nothing could network to it. That is pretty significant. For someone that doesn't need the 3 LAN ports of an Extreme, that is a nice alternative.

larrylaffer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
Los Angeles
Still no disk sharing for those of us that don't want to spend an egregious amount of money on an Airport Extreme. Shame on you Apple. :mad:

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Looks a little bit like a white Apple TV!

Its actually the same dimensions as the Apple TV. Wish they made the Apple TV in white too but I guess they won't now since it would confuse buyers.

Edit: By the way, this new Airport Express now supports up to 50 users. The last one only supported like 10. That, with the dual band seems like a nice upgrade to me.

futbalguy

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
I wish they had released a simple Airplay Audio device without any routing capabilities for $49 instead. Just a device with a 3.5mm audio minijack that joins existing wireless networks.

Aren't there enough owners of an Airport Extreme or Time Machine that just want to stream music to their speakers to warrant such an item?

You dont even need an Airport Extreme for that right? Cant you just use airplay with any wifi router? That would make your idea useful for a lot of people.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
You dont even need an Airport Extreme for that right? Cant you just use airplay with any wifi router? That would make your idea useful for a lot of people.

Correct. Airplay works over any wireless network. Or wired, really (if you plug the Express in as an Extender via a wired connection). A lot of 3rd parties have made devices that are Airplay receivers. Denon is a popular one. I am surprised that Apple hasn't come up with one themselves..it would allow for non-brand new receivers to be Airplay-enabled.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
It always had one, they just added a second one now.

I think it's actually effectively larger than the old one, since it used to plug directly into the wall. Hopefully it's at least like the AppleTV and just has a power cable without a giant brick.

It always had a WAN port, but that didn't let you plug in a computer to give it network access. They've now added a LAN port for this purpose. WAN would be to connect your Internet modem into.

iScott428

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Orlando, FL
Should be called "Airport."
Adds dual network, wired ethernet, dual bands, and it did not loose anything. I really wish Apple would have kept a 50$ express that could extend networks, and distribute airplay audio.

For those who were hoping it just has a power plug, you will be happy to know that is correct, no power brick just a "power cord" like the ATV.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Looks like we'll never see a White Apple TV then, that'd cause a bit of confusion :p

alexandero

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004

What I'd want is that rather basic hardware that's added to (non-Apple) speakers to make them Airplay compatible - just placed in a box, sold separately from speakers. After all, I already own a router (a Time Capsule), and (rather expensive) speakers.

Why can't we just connect speakers with a wireless network, without having to buy another router?

Do we really need a fully fledged router with an audio jack sitting right next to a fully fledged router with a hard disk? (Of course if the Time Capsule had an audio out jack that would solve the problem too).

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

You can get refurb last gen from Apple.

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
I've never had good success with AirPlay to airport expresses. I've got three just for that purpose and hardly use them because the audio is always dropping out. I just plug my phone into the powered speakers now, much less frustrating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.