Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside the new 4K Apple TV, Apple today quietly released a new, slightly redesigned Siri Remote to go along with it. Priced at $59, the updated remote features a new more prominent Menu button with a white circle around it.

Aside from the redesign to the Menu button, the new Apple TV Siri Remote appears to be identical to the previous-generation model. At $59, the remote is $20 cheaper than the previous-generation Siri Remote.

newappletvremote-800x635.jpg

Ahead of the launch of the new Apple TV, there was code found in leaked golden master software that suggested the new remote would feature new haptic feedback capabilities, but there's no mention of haptic feedback functionality in the description of the device.

The revamped Remote continues to ship with a Lightning to USB cable, and it is available with both the new 4K Apple TV and the existing fourth-generation Apple TV.

Apple is pricing the 4K Apple TV starting at $179 for a 32GB model. The fourth-generation Apple TV is available for $149.

Update: Apple notes in its overview on developing apps for the Apple TV 4K that the new Siri Remote is able to provide apps with data on attitude and rotation rate, in addition to the acceleration and gravity data generated by the original version.

Article Link: Apple Introduces Revamped $59 Siri Remote With More Prominent Menu Button [Updated]

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
I have to admit that the Siri remote is... meh.

We’ve had one for almost a year now and we still can’t really use it without looking at it. Can’t tell you how many times we’ve seen that dumb “here’s what you can say to Siri” screen, or exited to the main menu.

Do love having the volume control there though...

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Well this will at least quite some of the MR complainers about their massive orientation issue. They just couldn’t figure out which way was up lol.

No it won't. The remote still has a symmetrical shape, and you aren't going to see the circle in the dark.

I hope this is a temporary "what we can do to make the current design a bit better without any effort" change and they're working on an actual revamped model. If this doesn't have the haptic functionality, maybe it'll be in that new design.

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Nice price drop but unremarkable otherwise. Tempted to get the lanyard for my ‘last gen” Siri Remote, not that I might drop it but so I know which end is which when watching a movie with the lights out.

Reactions: Arran

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
All Eddy had up his sleeve this entire year... 4k? Many would argue that they're years late to the party. Cast out the baboon.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Apple doubling down on a bad design here. They need to be able to admit when they've made a mistake and correct it. If nothing else, they should have changed the remote so people can figure out which way is up in the dark.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
It's hard to tell from the photo, but FWIW, speculation elsewhere said the Menu button is now actually part of the touchpad, and no longer a physical switch.

If true, it would be a step backward.

Reactions: Yvan256

Braderunner

Suspended
Oct 2, 2015
Tralfamadore
Most disappointing “new” thing from Apple today. That remote sucks. Needs a major overhaul. Saves me $$ though. I don’t have a 4K tv. Only “have to” get new Apple Watch and iPhone X.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
They didn’t give the Siri remote what it needed, instead just highlighted a button and lowered the price (thankfully). It needs a rearrangement of buttons, haptic feedback, Bluetooth 5, and wireless charging

Reactions: Arran

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
The AppleTV doesn’t have a USB-C port anymore either.

I wish the remote didn’t have a touch pad. Just the circle directional pad would suffice.

We got the official $12 remote strap for it, and that fixed the orientation issue for mom and me - it really should come with it by default!

Suspended
Dec 17, 2013
Looking at photos of the Siri Remote in the Apple Store app, it looks like the Menu button is sunken into the touchpad area and the Siri button is concave. Was it concave on the previous generation?

WatchTheThrone

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Hated using the stock Apple TV 4 remote but after getting a silicone case for it I can say I love it now. Sometimes you need a little extra girth (giggity)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.