Apple Introduces Revamped $59 Siri Remote With More Prominent Menu Button [Updated]

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Alongside the new 4K Apple TV, Apple today quietly released a new, slightly redesigned Siri Remote to go along with it. Priced at $59, the updated remote features a new more prominent Menu button with a white circle around it.

Aside from the redesign to the Menu button, the new Apple TV Siri Remote appears to be identical to the previous-generation model. At $59, the remote is $20 cheaper than the previous-generation Siri Remote.

[​IMG]

Ahead of the launch of the new Apple TV, there was code found in leaked golden master software that suggested the new remote would feature new haptic feedback capabilities, but there's no mention of haptic feedback functionality in the description of the device.

The revamped Remote continues to ship with a Lightning to USB cable, and it is available with both the new 4K Apple TV and the existing fourth-generation Apple TV.

Apple is pricing the 4K Apple TV starting at $179 for a 32GB model. The fourth-generation Apple TV is available for $149.

Update: Apple notes in its overview on developing apps for the Apple TV 4K that the new Siri Remote is able to provide apps with data on attitude and rotation rate, in addition to the acceleration and gravity data generated by the original version.

Article Link: Apple Introduces Revamped $59 Siri Remote With More Prominent Menu Button [Updated]

2. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

That’s cool that they reduced the price I guess, but $59 is expensive for a remote.

3. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Lol. Does the ring glow in the dark?

Back to the drawing board, Apple...

4. justiny macrumors 6502

justiny

I'm glad it's a little cheaper, but I'd hardly consider adding a white circle around one button "revamped".

5. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

Apple wasn’t trying to be innovative here, lol. They just replaced the other remote and made it $20 cheaper.

6. jdillings macrumors 65816

How about "courageous"?

7. stiligFox macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

I have to admit that the Siri remote is... meh.

We’ve had one for almost a year now and we still can’t really use it without looking at it. Can’t tell you how many times we’ve seen that dumb “here’s what you can say to Siri” screen, or exited to the main menu.

Do love having the volume control there though...

8. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Well this will at least quite some of the MR complainers about their massive orientation issue. They just couldn’t figure out which way was up lol.

9. FoxMcCloud macrumors 6502a

The AppleTV doesn’t have a USB-C port anymore either.

I wish the remote didn’t have a touch pad. Just the circle directional pad would suffice.

10. cariacou macrumors 6502a

cariacou

2018: Apple announces the Apple TV 4KX with a Glow In The Dark Siri button

11. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

This is a good thing. I just use my phone or my watch for the remote.

The 24 seconds I spend using the remote isn't worth the arguments I was putting up for the last few days.

12. Cougarcat macrumors 604

No it won't. The remote still has a symmetrical shape, and you aren't going to see the circle in the dark.

I hope this is a temporary "what we can do to make the current design a bit better without any effort" change and they're working on an actual revamped model. If this doesn't have the haptic functionality, maybe it'll be in that new design.

13. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

Apple 4K Edition

:)

14. Szarky macrumors 6502a

Surprised the new 4K update didn't come with a completely new remote that had some decent ergonomics compared to the good to look at but painful to use stick of butter we have now.

15. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

No, they'll release a Siri remote with no buttons and a notch.

16. Brenster macrumors 6502

Nice price drop but unremarkable otherwise. Tempted to get the lanyard for my ‘last gen” Siri Remote, not that I might drop it but so I know which end is which when watching a movie with the lights out.

17. ZipZap macrumors 601

This remote, new and last gen, is the worst remote ever. Way too sensitive to touch. Never been able to adjust that away.

18. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

All Eddy had up his sleeve this entire year... 4k? Many would argue that they're years late to the party. Cast out the baboon.

19. petsounds macrumors 65816

Apple doubling down on a bad design here. They need to be able to admit when they've made a mistake and correct it. If nothing else, they should have changed the remote so people can figure out which way is up in the dark.

20. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

It's hard to tell from the photo, but FWIW, speculation elsewhere said the Menu button is now actually part of the touchpad, and no longer a physical switch.

If true, it would be a step backward.

21. Braderunner macrumors regular

Most disappointing “new” thing from Apple today. That remote sucks. Needs a major overhaul. Saves me $$ though. I don’t have a 4K tv. Only “have to” get new Apple Watch and iPhone X.

22. Appleaker macrumors 68000

They didn’t give the Siri remote what it needed, instead just highlighted a button and lowered the price (thankfully). It needs a rearrangement of buttons, haptic feedback, Bluetooth 5, and wireless charging

23. Cougarcat macrumors 604

He was busy making those deals. I'm impressed 4K movies don't cost more/are free upgrades.

24. stiligFox macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

We got the official $12 remote strap for it, and that fixed the orientation issue for mom and me - it really should come with it by default!

25. greensalad macrumors regular

greensalad

Looking at photos of the Siri Remote in the Apple Store app, it looks like the Menu button is sunken into the touchpad area and the Siri button is concave. Was it concave on the previous generation?

26. WatchTheThrone macrumors regular

WatchTheThrone

Hated using the stock Apple TV 4 remote but after getting a silicone case for it I can say I love it now. Sometimes you need a little extra girth (giggity)