Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Per this video on Apple Developer site, it appears that the new remote also provides more data to developers. It provides "attitude and rotation rate".

Thanks for the link. It will be interesting to see if apps use that additional Siri remote data, although I think in most cases a standard Mfi gamepad will work better than a basic or revised Siri remote.

isopodshuffle

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2015
How about a way to find the damn thing. A tiny speaker that you can activate a find my *#&*#&$# remote beep would be real handy.

THIS. THIS THIS THIS, A THOUSAND TIMES THIS.

The white ring around the button won't really help much unless there's some tactile difference about the button (say, give it a rougher texture or something?), but who even cares. You can't hold the remote upside down if you have no idea where it even is :|

johnnyboye

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2017
Charlotte, NC

Alongside the new 4K Apple TV, Apple today quietly released a new, slightly redesigned Siri Remote to go along with it. Priced at $59, the updated remote features a new more prominent Menu button with a white circle around it.

Aside from the redesign to the Menu button, the new Apple TV Siri Remote appears to be identical to the previous-generation model. At $59, the remote is $20 cheaper than the previous-generation Siri Remote.

newappletvremote-800x635.jpg

Ahead of the launch of the new Apple TV, there was code found in leaked golden master software that suggested the new remote would feature new haptic feedback capabilities, but there's no mention of haptic feedback functionality in the description of the device.

The revamped Remote continues to ship with a Lightning to USB cable, and it is available with both the new 4K Apple TV and the existing fourth-generation Apple TV.

Apple is pricing the 4K Apple TV starting at $179 for a 32GB model. The fourth-generation Apple TV is available for $149.

Update: Apple notes in its overview on developing apps for the Apple TV 4K that the new Siri Remote is able to provide apps with data on attitude and rotation rate, in addition to the acceleration and gravity data generated by the original version.

Article Link: Apple Introduces Revamped $59 Siri Remote With More Prominent Menu Button [Updated]
[doublepost=1508931542][/doublepost]This little device makes me long for the days when you could call a company, ask for the manager, then yell at them over the phone about this annoying, worthless "remote". The frustration factor caused by the this "piece-of-crap hardware" is morbid for a company know for "human-factored" products! It requires a special place on my side-table to keep it from disappearing into infinity, a falling cat-hair can cause the channel to change (or just look at it wrong can do it), and was most likely designed by a committee - that does not use it! The idea Apple would charge for this is even more outrageous than I can stand. The adjustments for sensitivity are mostly inadequate, there are no haptics as far as I can tell. Of all the numerous Apple products I am so proud of, this one has it's own "Hall of Shame" category, Apple - :mad:

Last edited:
Reactions: Braderunner

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Update: Apple notes in its overview on developing apps for the Apple TV 4K that the new Siri Remote is able to provide apps with data on attitude and rotation rate, in addition to the acceleration and gravity data generated by the original version.
"The Apple TV has registered that you are angry. Would you like to lower the difficulty level in Animal Crossing to "3 year olds", to ensure that you are capable of winning the game?"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.