Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
Genuinely confused how I can get excited by this in the UK? Can't see sky getting on board with this (for example).

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
Amen to that

No big deal unless Apple can negotiate directly with TV channels to offer a la carte programming without a cable subscription. If that happens, I'll buy 2-3 of them and bid farewell to my TV bill forever. :)

I'm right with you on this, brother.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
The rumor of a long announcement to release time certainly points to an App Store for people to develop for. That opens up this device to almost endless possibilities. (Of course, some apps may be restricted like all of apple's App Stores.)

I am not so sure about the time warner thing. Doesn't time warner own both cable stations, and individual shows and networks? It may be just a discussion about specific content vs offering to replace the cable box as we know it.

Of course, the new device could be easily used as a satellite device, to read content from a master dvr (Like the tivo mini that needs a tivo roamio to work) so it might have a role similar to the above.

Looking forward to the announcement and hearing some specifics on this new device.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Apple give us HDMI pass-through so we can leave our TVs on ONE channel (ATV) and allow us to airplay or watch ATV stuff without having to switch channels.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Many of us don't even subscribe to cable tv anymore so control of the interface isn't a big deal.

What would be is apps and a better ui

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I will be happy when they release an app store for the aTV, this would mean easier to find vulnerabilities for jbs :)

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
If this is released I will be ditching my Verizon cable boxes so fast it will make their heads spin. A La Carte programing will be a game changer.

How about ditch cable and go outside and exercise ?!

Many of us Americans watch too much tv

We crossfit at lunchtime then yoga after work

Don't tell me you don't have enough time to work out.

Don't you dare

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Apple give us HDMI pass-through so we can leave our TVs on ONE channel (ATV) and allow us to airplay or watch ATV stuff without having to switch channels.

Now we're getting it! Ask and you shall receive!

This is Apple's marketing machine in full swing. This is not without precedent....remember the MacPro?

Yep, sure do. I also remember the 6 months between the iPad announcement and actual sale way back in 2010. And of course, the iPad turned out to be another game-changer like the iPhone before it. :)

r3m1

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2012
Earth
Dont really understand what the added value is that Apple delivers, what would make the content owner give up their comfy position at the moment as they control the chain from content creation to content delivery. What makes this deal so "sweet", not in the least for end consumers.

Anyone care to explain ..?

Flood123

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Living Stateside
Interesting choice of words, I couldn't help but notice you made no mention of ditching the Verizon bill, just the boxes. I think you're right, but for perhaps different reasons.

If the cable providers agree to this I envision it looking a lot like the iPhone model. We buy our iPhone and still use it in conjunction with our cell provider. There would be in essence a Apple TV plan with your cable provider. How they will serve up content is really the unknown. Regardless the cable provider will not be cut out of the equation. It would be a partnership with the providers.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Don't get April intro, then Christmas sale....

Developers get it.

6 or 7 months to think up, design/develop, (test???), and submit apps for an Apple TV App store. That's about the right ballpark for brand new apps requiring a new and different UX paradigm (obviously something completely different from touching a TV screen).

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012
Or just change habits, and watch free 1080i OTA channels. You get local channels, plus NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX all in HD for $0.00/month. And everything else you can probably do something more useful than watching TV. Like reading a book, being with your family, playing board games with kids, getting some exercise, etc......

I paid $120 for my OTA and expect a 20 year life cycle, so technically it's more like $0.50/month. :p

In all seriousness, we cut the cord about a year ago and haven't missed a thing. The OTA, Netflix, Amazon Prime (which is used more for 2-day shipping than TV), iTunes, and occasionally Redbox take care of it all. Totals out to less than $25/month on average.

ThreeOlives

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2014
I wouldn't get too excited about this, TWC already has iPhone/iPad apps as well as a Roku app that I use for my kitchen and bedroom TV, I am guessing it will just be an app very similar to the Roku app with a limited guide and live programming only.

Flood123

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Living Stateside
How about ditch cable and go outside and exercise ?!

Many of us Americans watch too much tv

We crossfit at lunchtime then yoga after work

Don't tell me you don't have enough time to work out.

Don't you dare

FYI:Not everyone in these forums is American.

I don't know who you are directing this to. Since I am not an American (I am living here for work) and am highly athletic. I am having a very hard time understanding your point. Don't I dare what? Don't project most of (as you have stated)Americas bad habits on me. It doesn't apply here. You are barking up the wrong tree my friend.

Last edited:

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
the real question is whether my many atv3 will get a UI update or will my system become legacy?

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012
Dont really understand what the added value is that Apple delivers, what would make the content owner give up their comfy position at the moment as they control the chain from content creation to content delivery. What makes this deal so "sweet", not in the least for end consumers.

Anyone care to explain ..?

The deal is 'sweet' because there is a huge shift in how content is viewed. The younger generation is not signing up to the cable model and older folks who aren't tied to cable for sporting events, are cutting the cord in record numbers. While the cable providers and channels are not going bankrupt yet, somebody, somewhere has to find a model to reverse the trend now before it's too late. Apple may have that model.

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA
please stop announcing products months before shipment. its just annoying.

Um...this IS a rumors site. What else would you expect to see here?

----------

It's possible that Apple will introduce a new App Store platform for the Apple TV, with the delay giving developers time to build new apps for the device.

Exactly. This way, developers would be aware of it before WWDC, and ideally get some apps ready before the public release at the end of the year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.