Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Reread those links I provided please. Safer battery tech way back in 2007. I understand exactly how research works, just as much as I understand motivations not to embrace and develop technologies that are available when shareholders are involved.
I read it when you posted it. I did some research and decided that you posted it in relation to your comment on the number of years this has been a research topic. That article was about a lithium iron phosphate battery, which has issues with low discharge voltage. While that makes it a good replacement for an application where lead-acid batteries may have been used (electric vehicles, power tools, etc.) a wafer that would fit in any cell phone wouldn't produce enough power to run the phone OR wouldn't store enough energy to last through a day. The battery technology must be suitable for the application, I kinda thought that went without saying. Your argument that cost is the reason manufacturers haven't put this in phones is silly, since all the information I've been able to find suggests the manufacturing cost is pretty similar between the iron phosphate and cobalt-oxide batteries.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Not sure, but maybe you missed the other links I provided. Solid state li-ion batteries based on garnet-type fast li+ conductors, unlike conventional ones, consist entirely of solid chemical compounds. The batteries can be punctured without cause for alarm.

Safer batteries are possible now if Apple so desires. What's Apple's billions spent on R&D getting it?????

What's with all the defeatist, can't do it, negative reasoning in these forums. Positivity, openness and forward thinking about the possibilities please and at all times!
I read it when you posted it. I did some research and decided that you posted it in relation to your comment on the number of years this has been a research topic. That article was about a lithium iron phosphate battery, which has issues with low discharge voltage. While that makes it a good replacement for an application where lead-acid batteries may have been used (electric vehicles, power tools, etc.) a wafer that would fit in any cell phone wouldn't produce enough power to run the phone OR wouldn't store enough energy to last through a day. The battery technology must be suitable for the application, I kinda thought that went without saying. Your argument that cost is the reason manufacturers haven't put this in phones is silly, since all the information I've been able to find suggests the manufacturing cost is pretty similar between the iron phosphate and cobalt-oxide batteries.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hey cd m. Are you going to reply to my direct message? Did you receive it?
The safer battery technology is here ready for Apple to apply it. Just like the form fitting custom "terraced" batteries in 2015 macbook.
Apple ain't stupid. Apple uses old battery technology because it's cheap (whist conversely being nasty). Apple aren't using the safe battery technology because 1) they don't give a care about customer safety (look at their adaptor incidents) and 2) Apple care about profits more than safety.

[doublepost=1489440010][/doublepost]Re

Reread those links I provided please. Safer battery tech way back in 2007. I understand exactly how research works, just as much as I understand motivations not to embrace and develop technologies that are available when shareholders are involved.
So, again, basically no one is actually producing it on any reasonable scale (let alone mass scale) and no one is actually using it (and certainly not only large scale).

It seems that it's not that Apple isn't using something or anything like that, it's just that there's wishful thinking that Apple would take some more or less experimental things and fully develop them and then fully create a mass scale production of them and then use them in their devices. While it sounds like a great and wonderful thing to wish for (like world peace, and many other things), perhaps that wishful thinking should be placed on actual semiconductor and battery development and production companies first rather than blaming consumer electronics and computer companies for not using technology that doesn't really exist outside of labs.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
And so what exactly is Apple's billions spent in research and development getting them? What is a Apple getting for that investment? Apple could have implemented this safer battery technology 10x over by now.
So, again, basically no one is actually producing it on any reasonable scale (let alone mass scale) and no one is actually using it (and certainly not only large scale).

It seems that it's not that Apple isn't using something or anything like that, it's just that there's wishful thinking that Apple would take some more or less experimental things and fully develop them and then fully create a mass scale production of them and then use them in their devices. While it sounds like a great and wonderful thing to wish for (like world peace, and many other things), perhaps that wishful thinking should be placed on actual semiconductor and battery development and production companies first rather than blaming consumer electronics and computer companies for not using technology that doesn't really exist outside of labs.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
And so what exactly is Apple's billions spent in research and development getting them? What is a Apple getting for that investment? Apple could have implemented this safer battery technology 10x over by now.
Whatever they have been and are doing. I mean anything and everything out there can be better, I guess we can blame all companies, and governments, and basically all people for not being better. In the end, not sure that means anything one way or another.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Nah, I only blame those that deliberately stagnate and not adopt better technology especially when they are in a glorious position to be able to, ie Apple.

Watch Apple drag their heels! It's sad, so sad... And really embarrassing, those executives and board members suck badly. Steve Jobs never sucked. Nor did Steve Wozniak. They kept pushing forward. Such trail blazers and not corporate pigs that stand still for no good reason.
Whatever they have been and are doing. I mean anything and everything out there can be better, I guess we can blame all companies, and governments, and basically all people for not being better. In the end, not sure that means anything one way or another.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Nah, I only blame those that deliberately stagnate and not adopt better technology especially when they are in a glorious position to be able to, ie Apple.

Watch Apple drag their heels! It's sad, so sad... And really embarrassing, those executives and board members suck badly. Steve Jobs never sucked. Nor did Steve Wozniak. They kept pushing forward. Such trail blazers and not corporate pigs that stand still for no good reason.
Right ... got it.

Last edited:
Reactions: smacrumon

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Not sure, but maybe you missed the other links I provided. Solid state li-ion batteries based on garnet-type fast li+ conductors, unlike conventional ones, consist entirely of solid chemical compounds. The batteries can be punctured without cause for alarm.

Safer batteries are possible now if Apple so desires. What's Apple's billions spent on R&D getting it?????

What's with all the defeatist, can't do it, negative reasoning in these forums. Positivity, openness and forward thinking about the possibilities please and at all times!
"If Apple so desires?" Because throwing money at the engineering problem will instantly make the technology production ready and scaleable? Apple puts their R&D money into research and development of products they make. They do not, for instance, put R&D money into RAM chips. They buy them basically off the shelf. Batteries are one of the many, many things they source from suppliers.

The solid-state batteries you linked to look promising, sure. But again, they exist only in labs at the moment. Presumably they are being researched by the companies who actually, you know, make batteries. And you cannot prove that it isn't, unless you have some crazy good internal connections at every battery manufacturer on the planet. I'd imagine that solid-state batteries just aren't scaleable yet.

Apple is using the best batteries currently available in the market. It's great that you are so excited about new battery technology that might be ready for mass production within the next five years, but you have to accept that it's not ready right now, and that's why you can't find it anywhere in a consumer product.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
"If Apple so desires?" Because throwing money at the engineering problem will instantly make the technology production ready and scaleable? Apple puts their R&D money into research and development of products they make. They do not, for instance, put R&D money into RAM chips. They buy them basically off the shelf. Batteries are one of the many, many things they source from suppliers.

The solid-state batteries you linked to look promising, sure. But again, they exist only in labs at the moment. Presumably they are being researched by the companies who actually, you know, make batteries. And you cannot prove that it isn't, unless you have some crazy good internal connections at every battery manufacturer on the planet. I'd imagine that solid-state batteries just aren't scaleable yet.

Apple is using the best batteries currently available in the market. It's great that you are so excited about new battery technology that might be ready for mass production within the next five years, but you have to accept that it's not ready right now, and that's why you can't find it anywhere in a consumer product.
It's a laugh that you suggest Apple uses the best batteries currently available. We all know that to not be a truthful statement. The recent issues with Apple batteries, defects, poor duration, suggest Apple uses the same rubbish the industry uses. Nothing different, nothing special about Apple.

And we wonder why customers go and purchase $300 machines instead of Apple Macs which has a market share not much bigger than it did ten years ago.

I'm in the market for a new notebook, and it won't be an Apple. I'm no fool. Make a better safer product Apple, and I'll be back. For now, goodbye.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
It's a laugh that you suggest Apple uses the best batteries currently available. We all know that to not be a truthful statement. The recent issues with Apple batteries, defects, poor duration, suggest Apple uses the same rubbish the industry uses. Nothing different, nothing special about Apple.

And we wonder why customers go and purchase $300 machines instead of Apple Macs which has a market share not much bigger than it did ten years ago.

I'm in the market for a new notebook, and it won't be an Apple. I'm no fool. Make a better safer product Apple, and I'll be back. For now, goodbye.
No, there isn't anything special about the batteries Apple uses because everybody uses the same batteries, because they're the best batteries currently available. You won't find a single notebook, phone, or any other consumer device that uses a better, or even different battery technology than what Apple uses.

But sure, you make that your hill to die on. Have fun up there.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
No, there isn't anything special about the batteries Apple uses because everybody uses the same batteries, because they're the best batteries currently available. You won't find a single notebook, phone, or any other consumer device that uses a better, or even different battery technology than what Apple uses.

But sure, you make that your hill to die on. Have fun up there.
Apple uses rubbish batteries when it could be using safer battery technology. Billions spent in R and D has bought not much. Disgraceful.
Having much fun, life outside Appleverse is lovely and fun, and there's much more software from creative individuals available. Ive seen all worlds and Apple today is one with lots of fluff and not much substance. Steve Jobs would hate what's happening at Apple for the most part. So sad.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Apple uses rubbish batteries when it could be using safer battery technology. Billions spent in R and D has bought not much. Disgraceful.
Having much fun, life outside Appleverse is lovely and fun, and there's much more software from creative individuals available. Ive seen all worlds and Apple today is one with lots of fluff and not much substance. Steve Jobs would hate what's happening at Apple for the most part. So sad.
Just so anyone else reading this at some point in the future understands, he's basically saying he hates all consumer electronics companies because companies that make phones aren't spending money to research batteries, which they do not make. Just so we're clear here. We should probably also be getting frustrated with Intel for not doing more to research HIV treatments, and Toyota for not putting money into crop fertilization research.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Just so anyone else reading this at some point in the future understands, he's basically saying he hates all consumer electronics companies because companies that make phones aren't spending money to research batteries, which they do not make. Just so we're clear here. We should probably also be getting frustrated with Intel for not doing more to research HIV treatments, and Toyota for not putting money into crop fertilization research.
Ultimately it seems to be much more simple and trite than all that essentially moot stuff it tends to get dressed up in: "Apple is bad" (and/or alternatively "Apple is doomed").

Reactions: I7guy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.