Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this week, Apple started accepting applications for one-day Vision Pro developer labs in Cupertino, London, Munich, Shanghai, Singapore, and Tokyo. These coding labs will allow developers to test and optimize their apps on visionOS, and Apple employees will be available to help with setup and troubleshooting.

Apple-Vision-Pro-with-battery-Feature-Blue-Magenta.jpg

Apple has since started emailing the first developers invited to attend these labs, which will begin next week and continue into August in the chosen cities.

"In these self-directed coding and design labs, you'll be able to test and optimize your apps on visionOS," Apple's website says. "Bring your Mac, code, and everything you need to modify, build, run, and test your app on Vision Pro."

Apple Developer Program members who are at least 18 years old can apply to attend one of the labs. Developers must have a new visionOS app in active development, or an existing iPadOS or iOS app, and Apple says priority will be given to developers who are building apps that are specially optimized for the Vision Pro.

Top-Secret Rules

Apple has made an SDK and visionOS simulator available for developers to build Vision Pro apps. For developers who need continuous, direct access to the headset, Apple has also opened applications for Vision Pro developer kits. Apple has very strict terms and conditions for these kits, which developers must keep secure at all times.

Developers must keep the kit in a "private, secure workspace," and cannot show it to any family, friends, or other unauthorized individuals, according to Apple. The kit also must be in a developer's "direct line of sight" at all times, and stored in a locked Pelican case in a locked space when not in use, the company adds.

Apple says the Vision Pro will launch in the U.S. early next year, and third-party visionOS apps will be available through the App Store on the headset.

(Thanks, @aaronp613!)

Article Link: Apple Invites Developers to Vision Pro Coding Labs, Reveals Top-Secret Rules for Tester Kits

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2014
Top-Secret rules for what?

Apple already announced the Apple Vision Pro. It's really not a top secret anymore. The Vision OS is also already out too!

I think mostly so they can't go to Facebook, etc and tell all the VR devs all the details about hardware , API and how and what are the limitations or advancements on a very detailed level?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Top-Secret rules for what?

Apple already announced the Apple Vision Pro. It's really not a top secret anymore. The Vision OS is also already out too!

I suspect there are key features & benefits to be revealed in perhaps one of the Fall "shows."

There were other desirable features that these should easily support that were not revealed at WWDC. I suspect Apple "held back" some of those to refresh excitement and press coverage when more is revealed, probably in the Fall and then again at the actual launch in 2024. I further guess that someone with access could come across some things that would let such cats out of the bag before Apple wants them revealed... like a crack at beta macOS sometimes reveals new Mac placeholders, etc. What placeholders will these developers find in Vpro? If there are some- and I suspect there will be- this demand for absolute secrecy is probably- at least in part- trying to save those "big reveals" for when Apple wants them to be known.

I fully expect more than what we did get to see in the big demo is coming from Apple (not just whatever these developers create, though I also expect some "amazing!" from the independent developers too).

Last edited:

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Hey fam - remember, a dropped ceiling with those gross tiles does not comport with the storage requirements.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Can you take it to a bar if you put it in a case that makes it look like an Oculus Rift?

Can you take it into a bar and then accidentally leave it there for someone else to find, sell to a rumor site, and have lots of details revealed before Apple wants them revealed?

That movie plot seems vaguely familiar. ;)

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Doubling down on secrecy..... for a product that was publicly announced.
they want to still keep aspects of it under wraps as others have mentioned previously. the less people that try it out / know about it now, the more hype it builds for later.

and there are probably minute details of it that they don’t want competitors knowing just yet.

canadianreader

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2014

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
What is the point of all this extreme secrecy when the product has already announced and surely devs will talk about it? Seems like letting friends and family use the kit is a good way to get word of mouth going.

It's likely because there are aspects about the device and software that are not known to competitors. And Apple would like to keep it that way for as long as possible before the device becomes available to the public.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.