Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is inviting some AppleSeed members to test the new HomePod software as well as the new versions of iOS, iPadOS, and macOS, according to reports on the MacRumors forums.

homepodbetaprogram.jpg

Those invited to test the new HomePod software will be able to try out new features ahead of release. With the update, the HomePod is gaining support for third-party music services for the first time, a feature that will allow the speaker to work with Spotify, Pandora, and other music options by default without the need to use AirPlay.

HomePod, which serves as a home hub option for HomeKit, is also getting a new feature that will let it announce when a HomeKit-connected doorbell has been rung.

Apple's HomePod software is usually tested internally and is not typically provided to developers, so we'll need to wait to see if a version is eventually added to the developer site or distributed to public beta testers. If not, most users will need to wait until the new software is released in the fall to try it out.

Article Link: Apple Inviting Some Users to Beta Test New HomePod Software

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
I got invited - I have an active developer account and I've submitted a lot of beta feedbacks over the past few years, don't know what did it. So far HomePod OS 14 has been pretty buggy - wouldn't recommend for general use. A couple times it has started playing a song with literally no way of stopping it (hey siri stop, pause, skip, stop playing, etc. don't work) and its responses are much slower than before.

It does not currently work with Spotify, by the way.

Bswails

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
I got invited - I have an active developer account and I've submitted a lot of beta feedbacks over the past few years, don't know what did it. So far HomePod OS 14 has been pretty buggy - wouldn't recommend for general use. A couple times it has started playing a song with literally no way of stopping it (hey siri stop, pause, skip, stop playing, etc. don't work) and its responses are much slower than before.

I was invited also..for some reason after installing the profile I keep getting a “unable to check for update” error

Reactions: iMacoo7

zaneliu

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2013
Berkeley

How did you get the updated beta?

iMacoo7

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Destin, Florida
6BE85B83-27E5-4FC7-B0BC-E6C2189091BF.png

[automerge]1592875287[/automerge]
I received an invite and I dont own one .... Weird
[automerge]1592875467[/automerge]
Not sure if my first post stuck. I have an active dev account but have no idea why I received this one. :
04DE6C75-6CA5-4DC6-A7DC-61A95A36D984.png

iStorm

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
Did anyone else notice during the WWDC there was a HomePod mini during the Apple TV presentation?
Are you talking about when Yah is presenting? I just watched that segment again. It does look like the one on the left is a little smaller/skinner than the one on the right, but I’m starting to think this is just an optical illusion due to the camera angle and lighting/shadows. They look more similar in size when you pause at 1:00:30, just as they’re coming into view.

Reactions: Wolfgang Hammatt

iOS Geek

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2017

I was invited as well. However...I don't have a developer account and never have. I've always done public betas and was pretty "active" in terms of feedback. Maybe the invites are targeted towards people who submitted a lot of reports in the past.

I haven't downloaded the HomePod OS yet. So far I've only done iPadOS and tvOS. Most of the emails for each OS came within a few minutes of each other, but about an hour ago, I also got one for watchOS. I'm a little hesitant on that one. I'm going to wait it out for a few more beta releases before I download iOS 14 to my phone. I will probably be passing on macOS betas this summer because I use my MacBook for work. I can't risk that one!

Karma*Police

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2012
All I want is for them to function as a stereo pair of speakers for the Apple TV, as advertised, and as last worked reliably in tvOS11.
Interesting. I don’t have that problem but I’ve noticed with some apps like YouTube the HP will disconnect occassionally and the audio will revert to my TV. Another annoying bug which has been around since day 1 is if I turn off my ATV without disconnecting the HP first, the HP will no longer play back music I ask it to. Very, Very annoying.

RichardvWray

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2020
I hope this happens with Tidal (yes, I'm their one user). I'm currently running my HomePods through my phone or iPad and they sound great.

Another need is to get stereo HomePods to play from a Mac. You can do it via Airplay with Apple Music but not Tidal.

Even then, watching videos on Youtube etc still comes out on only a single HomePod.

Reactions: zaneliu

lowkey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
australia
Another need is to get stereo HomePods to play from a Mac. You can do it via Airplay with Apple Music but not Tidal.

Even then, watching videos on Youtube etc still comes out on only a single HomePod.

YES!!!
So annoying my old iPhone 6 can play youtube videos to stereo Homepods but my 16" i9 MBP can't :/

Reactions: RichardvWray

Digital Dude

macrumors 6502a
I attempted to install the beta, but for whatever reason, it doesn't show up. Are we supposed to reset it to factory settings first? I mean, the instructions do show the factory reset procedure. However, The process isn't clear as to whether this is a step or a 'JUST SO YOU KNOW.' If anyone can clear this up, I would appreciate it. I'm showing the current version 13.4.6 on all six of my HomePods.

Last edited:

zaneliu

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2013
Berkeley
I attempted to install the beta, but for whatever reason, it doesn't show up. Are we supposed to reset it to factory settings first? I mean, the instructions do show the factory reset procedure. However, The process isn't clear as to whether this is a step or a 'JUST SO YOU KNOW.' If anyone can clear this up, I would appreciate it. I'm showing the current version 13.4.6 on all six of my HomePods.
Same boat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.