Apple iOS and the new iPad are very limited.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by the read, Mar 24, 2012.

1. the read, Mar 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2012

the read macrumors regular

I'm having problems with the limitations that Apple have either applied or simply not developed to the iOS making the iPad a week product. I've had an iPad for 1 year and use it frequently with great frustration.

Examples to this problem is; not having easy access to the hard drive to store the data I want. Not being able to navigate to the files through a directory structure. Apple's workaround is to force me to access data through specific applications, and or having applications locked from accessing certain data on the iPad. This creates huge limits in feature developments for applications and results in poor functionality. Example exposure to music data for assessment is only available to iTunes. It's my music, if I want to brows to it through a directory, or have an application I write access this data and analyse it, Apple should not stop or limit my access.

All in I find apples iOS very limiting. Google are becoming very popular with Andriod on mobile devises, and from the limited exposure I've had to this OS their development policy feels more friendly to the end consumer. I think Android will be creating applications that surpass the iOS capabilities over the next couple of years.
    When you also consider all mobile devices look almost identicle, Apple need to start and understand they are creating a platform for people to work with, not a polished finished product and dictate what I can and cannot do with the product. The difference in mindset is huge.

I recently posted that the iPad three is a dumb product. Although my post was short, some peoples response were very valid and the subject matter was hearing arguments on both sides. I'm hoping people see this as constructive thoughts not Trolling.

2. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

If Apple's platforms don't suit you, switch.

Simple.

3. Elise macrumors 6502

Did you not research the product before buying it? :confused: I don't understand people who complain about the limitations of a product, simple research would have told you what you needed to know before making the purchase.

You've called the iPad a "dumb product," but perhaps you should have just returned it once you realised it didn't suit your needs.

4. doboy macrumors 68000

Why do you waste time on the "dumb" product? Just switch to the "smart" android product and be done with it.

5. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I believe the MacBook Air would suit your needs better. The iPad is still mainly a recreational device. Fine for surfing, emailing, games and video. If you need to work then Apple make some great bits of kit, but to say the iPad is limited is a bit strange.

6. the read thread starter macrumors regular

Research cannot provide all the answers that using the product daily will reveal.
    It's less about if the product suits me and more about global functionality when considering competition moving forward. Any software developer should be considering this.

My Quote on "Dumb product" was a poor use of expression I agree. I'm really expressing the products capabilities are reduced dramatically. No aggression intended.

----------

Thanks for this. I agree that the air would suit my daily needs with better flexibility. But my consideration is with iOS application development.

The iOS is great for basic surfing etc as you suggested. But it could be something far more.

7. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

You appear to simply be trolling again, but I'll bite.

I use the iPad for 80% of my professional work in a Fortune 500 company. I find virtually none of the issues you cite as limitations, and the iPad has literally changed the way I work. It's always in my hands, and as such I have instant access to everything I need, wherever I am, without being tied to my desk or to a laptop.

I've never missed having a file system at all. It's smoky not an issue.

In addition, I own a company that develops applications for mobile platforms, and we have been extremely successful in the iOS space, and yet had very little success in the fragmented, impossible to understand Android market. Our two most recent business apps will not be ported to Android, as the market there is dominated by games and frivolous apps, with no one taking it seriously in business.

iOS is winning. In fact they are destroying the competition, in virtually every application of computing on a tablet device.

8. the read thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not Trolling, these are serious concerns that are being raised.

I'm happy you are finding the app space successful. I too am part of a company that have been developing apps and so far only for iOS. This is why I'm tabling these concerns.

Do you think your sucsess is also down to the payment process that Apple have successfully made very easy? This is a problem on other platforms.

9. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

In addition to the above, Apple don't sell the iPad as a substitute for a good notebook. I use my iPad for workshopping music ideas, writing lyrics, and...fun...My iMac, MBP and MBA take care of the hard work, the iPad is just great at night when propped in bed. As others have commented, if you really feel it's "dumb" take it back and get something which better suits your requirements.

10. donnaw macrumors 65816

On this I agree with the OP. While I like my iPad and use it daily I do miss not being able to access a file structure. It is very limiting. Look at all the work- arounds you find discussed. The very fact that people have to find a work-around should tell you that many also find it limiting.

In my opinion, this is the one thing that is missing and keeps the IPad from being pretty much perfect.

11. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

It's not as if the issues you raise are new. And it's not as if Apple didn't consider these issues. To them, the security from "sandboxing" each app trumps whatever advantage there might be in the alternative.

It does mean there are limitations, sometimes annoying, but I don't understand why you're on here bitching about it. If you don't like it, Android is the OS for you. Consumers vote with their wallets, and so far they've voted in favor of Apple's approach.

The problem in my view is that the competition isn't anywhere near enticing enough to get people to switch. I would LOVE it if Apple would create some sort of a shared folder accessible to all apps. I don't need to see the entire filesystem. Just give me some way to avoid having the same file in multiple apps. Give me the ability to upload from Safari. Simple stuff like that. If someday Android has an app/media ecosystem that's as compelling as Apple's, you bet I'll switch in a heartbeat. Doesn't seem like that'll happen anytime soon, though. So I'll continue to download apps from the App Store and music/movies from iTunes.

12. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

Part of me agrees, but that's what sandboxing is all about. Look at the criticism Apple's gotten for making it possible for apps to access your contacts without permission. Of course regular computers been able to do this since forever.

I haven't really been paying attention to what android does but I think they have a more extensive inter-app communication thing. Apple's "open in" process is kludgy and definitely needs lots of improvement.

13. radiobrmc macrumors newbie

I share the same sentiment about the lack of user control over content.

I'm not really sure why things are so sterile in Apple products. It might be security control. I know they are a hardware company primarily. They want to sell you an iPad, iPhone, iPod experience and not the software.

Their most successful products iPhone, iPod and iPad are essentially toys. Ah, such wonderful toys they are, as I own all of them. You can always buy more productive open Android/Windows products to go along with your toys.

14. the read thread starter macrumors regular

let's not get personal, we can agree or disagree without throwing accusations. If these points have previously been raised, it could be due to the amount of people who really would like to see a change in direction.

This is a forum where such can be discussed.

15. Iansjones macrumors newbie

What you need to remember as well is the sand boxing is for a reason.
    How many times have you had an application crash and cause a crash on the whole os.
    This generally doesn't happen with the sand boxing. If the app crashes it just effects the app.

16. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

I'd have to disagree with you on the need for a file system. That makes sense with an OS such as Windows/OS X/ or Linux/Unix variants because of how those OSes and apps are designed. But iOS isn't set up like those other operating systems in the first place. If I start a file in Keynote, it get uploaded to iCloud, and I can pick up right where I left off on another iOS device or even my Mac. The file system becomes irrelevant when the photos/projects/documents you're working on are literally available from any place with an internet connection. Given the way applications are set up on iOS, a file system (more specifically the way you would have to access one) would break the UI and functionality of iOS as we know it.

Furthermore, those people that are discussing "workarounds" to the lack of a filesystem probably make up less than 1% of the iOS userbase. That means that the vast majority of users do not find iOS as "limiting" as you claim. Additionally, if a filesystem had as much importance for the general user base as you have placed on it, then Android tablets would have a much stronger foothold in the market, and Windows tablets would have had more success as well. But the tablet space is still dominated by the iPad, and the only other tablet device with any level of success (Kindle Fire) also hides the filesystem from the user.

17. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

You guys don't understand the purpose, and the design criteria around iOS devices.

Its like using a flathead to tighten a phillips screw, close, you can make it work, but far from ideal. You're using a mobile device to do desktop work. Apple clearly marketed the iPad as a casual, sit about, consume content device. It works very well at this with a dumbed down, mobile OS w content apps; reeder, safari, flipboard, etc.

18. the read thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not sure how you qualify your % here and you may be accurate, but I believe if a file system was implemented most people would use it daily. Most people I know are continually using converluted workarounds or simply use another device to get what they want.

But the real concern is how this impacts the applications created for the iPad. There are many ideas for cool apps that cannot get realized on the iOS due to these lacking features. This is hard to qualify but I believe it does impact the overall experience of the end user and the products potential.

For me it also results in the iPad being another product I use, rather than replacing older technology. My bag just got 1lb heavier on every business trip when it could have been 3lbs lighter. :(

19. rosemary1 macrumors regular

I don't understand why the OP is making these complaints in regards to the new iPad. These limitations have been in iOS for longer than there have been iPads. If you didn't know by now this is how Apple works, what rock have you been under and why did you even bother with an iPad?

If you're a savvy user you'll figure out how to get the iPad to do most everything you want it to. If you want a computer, buy a computer.

20. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Android wont have better applications if the developers are shying away.

Your better off hoping Win8 tablets shine and attract developers.

21. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

By embracing the technology and the paradigm shift, I've stopped carrying my laptop on 90% of my business travel, and I've not missed it one bit, nor has my productivity suffered. Quite the contrary, since it's much easier to keep my iPad with me, I'm able to manage 120 employees and their project schedules from any place, at any time.

You need to think outside the box, but once you get it, the iOS world is very full featured.

Are there things that I wish were different? Sure. As a developer I run into the occasional restriction that seems arbitrary. In a number of cases, Apple has opened up things we pointed out as unnecessary restrictions.

The integration of iCloud into Mac, Windows and even Linux devices in the near future will blur this need for a file system even more.

In answer to your first question to me as to whether our app success is dependent on the App Store infrastructure, sure. I'm sure that has helped.

22. Stealthipad, Mar 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2012

Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Your comments will only inflame the Apple product lovers as they find it hard to hear anything wrong with their Apple product.

I DO agree with you and wish apple would give us a files system where WE can set up folders and store things like word and excel files for when my Dropbox or wifi is not available. With this feature AND a MS Office app, my iPad would become MUCH more productive to me.

I am hoping that one day when Apple does see how many move to Android and other more versatile platforms, they will pull some of the restrictions off their device and allow it to be what it COULD be.

23. gquiring macrumors regular

gquiring

What you seem to be misunderstanding is the iPad is not a PC. It's not a full featured OS where the user controls a lot. Yes there are limitations but it was by design. Apple's iOS does not require virus scanners and other protections because the user is not allowed to screw it up. iOS is a rock solid environment because Apple does not let you near the file system. In the early days of the iPhone I felt the way you did but now I get it and it's ok with me. What I love about iOS is the simplicity and stability.

Go get an Android if you want full PC functionality in a tablet. Just make sure you understand the limitations of Android also, it's not nearly as polished as iOS. The apps are not as stable either and compatibility with all that hardware is a problem.

24. Pravda macrumors 6502a

Pravda

I agree with the OP.
    But I'll take the limitation for all the other benefits of having an iOS device. I guess by having this locked up system, it provides stability, simplicity and more security.

25. palpatine macrumors 68040

android is a great os (ice cream sandwich) and i like some of the tablet products (asus transformer prime). it takes a different approach to the tablet experience, and while it would be nice if apple did things like give us access to a traditional file tree structure, it doesn't, and it probably won't.

so, we already know this. what is the point of your thread?

you see apple's design decision as a limitation (aren't all decisions?), while i see it as a choice. you might be shocked, flabbergasted, and dumbfounded to know that the ios works quite well (it never crashes, while ics does all of the time) and you can get things done with it (i have moved about 90 percent of my work to the ipad). it isn't for everyone. there isn't much to debate here, so the thread is just going to go down in flames.