Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobenhaus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Android wont have better applications if the developers are shying away.

Your better off hoping Win8 tablets shine and attract developers.

I hate to pop your bubble but Linux (android) are dominate is the electronic device market. Your home router has Linux on it, your set top box has Linux on it and lots of other devices. Linux is an open source OS and will surpass any OS in the future. Also Linux is predicted to dominate by 2020 or less. Have a nice day.

----------

Your comments will only inflame the Apple product lovers as they find it hard to hear anything wrong with their Apple product.

I DO agree with you and wish apple would give us a files system where WE can set up folders and store things like word and excel files for when my Dropbox or wifi is not available. With this feature AND a MS Office app, my iPad would become MUCH more productive to me.

I am hoping that one day when Apple does see how many move to Android and other more versatile platforms, they will pull some of the restrictions off their device and allow it to be what it COULD be.

also html5 is the future not mobile apps like IOS, win mobile, android etc..

waynep

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009
I hate to pop your bubble but Linux (android) are dominate is the electronic device market. Your home router has Linux on it, your set top box has Linux on it and lots of other devices. Linux is an open source OS and will surpass any OS in the future. Also Linux is predicted to dominate by 2020 or less. Have a nice day.

yes you are right about Linux as a whole. But unless Android gets more organized, it will have trouble in the future. Linux is great and has places where it shines. The desktop is not it, though some people make due. I do like Android on my phone. I like it on the phone more that my wife's iPhone. But Linux and Android won't touch the capability of my Mac and iPad in an easy to use way.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I'm having problems with the limitations that Apple have either applied or simply not developed to the iOS making the iPad a week product. I've had an iPad for 1 year and use it frequently with great frustration.

Examples to this problem is; not having easy access to the hard drive to store the data I want. Not being able to navigate to the files through a directory structure. Apple's workaround is to force me to access data through specific applications, and or having applications locked from accessing certain data on the iPad. This creates huge limits in feature developments for applications and results in poor functionality. Example exposure to music data for assessment is only available to iTunes. It's my music, if I want to brows to it through a directory, or have an application I write access this data and analyse it, Apple should not stop or limit my access.

All in I find apples iOS very limiting. Google are becoming very popular with Andriod on mobile devises, and from the limited exposure I've had to this OS their development policy feels more friendly to the end consumer. I think Android will be creating applications that surpass the iOS capabilities over the next couple of years.
When you also consider all mobile devices look almost identicle, Apple need to start and understand they are creating a platform for people to work with, not a polished finished product and dictate what I can and cannot do with the product. The difference in mindset is huge.

I recently posted that the iPad three is a dumb product. Although my post was short, some peoples response were very valid and the subject matter was hearing arguments on both sides. I'm hoping people see this as constructive thoughts not Trolling.

As for the iPad I do hear your opinions even if I do not agree. The iPad is a cross device rather than a full fledged PC. Maybe one day tablets will grow to a device that rivals a PC but currently it's a supplemental device primarily used to consume. At least that is still how apple still sees it. It's faults also lie I feel in that the interface of the iPad isn't really built for creation. Even if the ups were as powerful and open as a PC it isn't as easy to edit and create media vs a mouse and keyboard set up.

Last edited by a moderator:

the read

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2009
if you know enough about coding to want to make your own app for parsing through your music, you should know that you can indeed do that. I don't know why you think you can't, but download just about any big budget game, particularly a racing one, and you'll see that they all have access to your music.

You can access to play the file but not to anaylise the actual data within the format. There is a difference. If this is changed I would be very happy. Well at least happier.

----------

I also got a good deal on Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, the Complete Series...

Buck is awesome. Diggy doggy.... What a babe. Childhood memories.

----------

Yes I agree.

----------

As for the iPad I do hear your opinions even if I do not agree. The iPad is a cross device rather than a full fledged PC. Maybe one day tablets will grow to a device that rivals a PC but currently it's a supplemental device primarily used to consume. At least that is still how apple still sees it. It's faults also lie I feel in that the interface of the iPad isn't really built for creation. Even if the ups were as powerful and open as a PC it isn't as easy to edit and create media vs a mouse and keyboard set up.

Thanks for your response. It's nice to see an opposing argument with out the aggressive attitude.

I understand your reasoning here. The iPad is a great device to play back media and brows the web. I still feel with a couple of easily implimented features, the device could be much better at many other things. Currently I could never leave my laptop behind on a business trip. With these added features, I would risk a 1-2 day trip with nothing but the iPad with me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

I quote and reference real statistics. You retort with unsubstantiated opinion. Why do I even bother with message boards... uggh.

To compound that... the prediction of Linux becoming dominate, is a 20 year old pipe dream that has not come to fruition. Continuing to bet on that is folly.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
On this I agree with the OP. While I like my iPad and use it daily I do miss not being able to access a file structure. It is very limiting. Look at all the work- arounds you find discussed. The very fact that people have to find a work-around should tell you that many also find it limiting.

In my opinion, this is the one thing that is missing and keeps the IPad from being pretty much perfect.

Who cares if you need another app to access the file system? The bottom line is that you can access it with 3rd party apps. A work around is a way for you to also not need the file system. Sitting here telling people the iPad is limited when the iPad was supposed to be limited just seems silly to me. IOS was designed so you shouldn't need access to the file system. IPad was not supposed to be all things to to all people. People think it should be a full on laptop when it's not nor should it ever.

Last edited:

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
I just had an epiphany. Limitations are not due to products, it's due to people. It's when a person says "It can't be done". The product doesn't say "I cannot function" it's the person that's using it that says that. It's all about the view of the person using the product.

So here are the facts:
1. Android, Linux, OSX, and iOS are all based on a UNIX core/kernel. Same crap, different names. It's definitely better than the Windows kernel in terms of basics. It's not about how good the core is but how good the experience is of using the products.

2. Why lock out a file explorer? The answer is simple: stupid users. I'm not saying users are stupid, I'm saying that a portion of users are insane. They can't be trusted with a toothbrush let alone a tablet device. These people don't listen to directions, can't read a manual, and don't respect any authority. They don't understand what's part of the system and they can't understand why they aren't let into night clubs.

3. For those of us that are power users that can go underneath the skin of an OS and access core system files, we have that access. SSH, JB, Rooting, etc... You can have full access anytime you want actually. You just have to know how to do it. There are no limitations for us because we help support the system and we aid access to make things better.

4. The future: what is in the future? We don't know. That's the bottom line. Linux has taken over 20 years to become half-way popular even though it is a superior form of OS. OSX is still not the market leader even though in many ways, it's a form of Linux since it's based off of a UNIX core/kernel. HTML5 and other standards are just that: standards. Not everyone will follow them even though technology may be better. So how do we prevent global tech destruction? We have to enroll people in the changes over time. The first part is having them open up their minds to the possibilities instead of closing them off and shutting them out. If you think it's impossible, it's going to be impossible for you. Think different :apple:. Do the impossible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.