Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Apple has decided to give the MacBook Pro users another middle finger by say that the iPad Pro is better.

Huh? How is pointing out the advantages of one machine giving the finger to those who also enjoy the advantages of another? (And the ads don't say which machine is better. That would only make sense in a particular usage context.)

Last edited:
Reactions: HenryDJP

Mindinversion

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
Yep, iPad Pro: Better than a computer except for absolutely ZERO MOUSE SUPPORT and no accessible file structure.

Also, the only Blizzard game it supports is Hearthstone, which I'm not really into...

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2016
You're taking that ad very personally. They're aiming this at people that would be in the market for sub $1000 computers anyway. People that need an actual computer know that already and wouldn't be considering an iPad in lieu of a computer.

So the MacBook Air crowd.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
Well given Apple seems to be shaping it in the direction to replace the MacBook Air, they were kind of limited in what they could say...it wouldn't be good advertising to say something like:

"How is the iPad Pro better than a computer? -- We gave it even fewer ports"
"Inferior to a desktop, same price as the Air, which we killed off & then proceeded to raise the prices on our other computers -- you're welcome"
"If the lack of OS X bothers you, then you're multitasking wrong."
"You loved our light, affordable, and versatile MacBook Air -- now it's time to replace it with a gigantic iPhone!"
"We designed the iPad Pro for professionals -- that's why we gave it iOS"

Mindinversion

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
I need USB, SD card slot, HDMI...

Not on an iPad you don't. Cloud storage fixed the first two, lack of mouse/file structure negates the need for the first.

Even then, I think there are actually adapters for all three for the iPad. . .

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Not on an iPad you don't. Cloud storage fixed the first two, lack of mouse/file structure negates the need for the first.

Even then, I think there are actually adapters for all three for the iPad. . .

Well what about MacOS Sierra iPad doesn't have that...

peraspera

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2016
iPad Pros are a great iToy choice for people who consume and manage, not produce. Very few producers have been successful in figuring out ways to get much in they way of productive work out of them. If Apple keeps up with with this nonsensical attitude before iPad Pros can be considered as a serious productivity tool they can look forward to the same tanking sales for Macs that iPads have had.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
iPad Pros are a great iToy choice for people who consume and manage, not produce. Very few producers have been successful in figuring out ways to get much in they way of productive work out of them. If Apple keeps up with with this nonsensical attitude before iPad Pros can be considered as a serious productivity tool they can look forward to the same tanking sales for Macs that iPads have had.

it does depend on what you are producing...... however for my use the iPad is a companion device for a computer not a replacement. There are quite a few things the iPad is better for which are useful for my job, that can't be done on a Mac [drawing is a prime example] which could be considered very productive.

peraspera

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2016
The ad is a shoddy hustle for using iPad Pros as a computer replacement, not a go-with. Offhand, I can't recall anyone who produces for a living giving up their Macs for iPad Pros but I wouldn't be altogether shocked if a few writers might have figured it out.

If Tim Cook believes what that sleazy, intentionally deceptive ad is peddling he ought to cut costs at Apple by eliminating all Macs from Apple. That he hasn't done so puts the lie to that weasel worded ad.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
Read into things much? :)

The ad says it's faster than "most laptopss"; I'm sure that doesn't mean MacBooks, or other "High End" laptops.
m

I wouldn't consider the macbook "high end", I'd consider it pretty close to "entry level".

JustinRP37

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2016
New York, NY
My god. Would people seriously stop. The iPad is good for what the VAST majority of people do on a daily basis. Just freaking stop. I am so tired of these threads and complaints. Most people do not do stats, program, or do graphic intensive tasks. They use Word and Excel to write reports, view documents, etc. they browse the web, and lightly edit their photos. The iPad Pro is great for these people at a reasonable price given stability and upport it offers. These people are not in the market for a $2,000+ laptop. Just stop. Get out of the early 2000s mentality. I don't get why people get so upset with this. The iPad is not and should not replace a high end workstation. Just look at the vast majority of offices in the world. Most are using sub $500 computers still running Windows 7. Hell most ATMs in the USA are still running on top of Windows XP!

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2016
My god. Would people seriously stop. The iPad is good for what the VAST majority of people do on a daily basis. Just freaking stop. I am so tired of these threads and complaints. Most people do not do stats, program, or do graphic intensive tasks. They use Word and Excel to write reports, view documents, etc. they browse the web, and lightly edit their photos. The iPad Pro is great for these people at a reasonable price given stability and upport it offers. These people are not in the market for a $2,000+ laptop. Just stop. Get out of the early 2000s mentality. I don't get why people get so upset with this. The iPad is not and should not replace a high end workstation. Just look at the vast majority of offices in the world. Most are using sub $500 computers still running Windows 7. Hell most ATMs in the USA are still running on top of Windows XP!

So why would somebody doing documents and spreadsheets, browsing the web, and doing light photo edits would spend $970 on an iPad Pro and keyboard?
[doublepost=1487444693][/doublepost]
You're taking that ad very personally. They're aiming this at people that would be in the market for sub $1000 computers anyway. People that need an actual computer know that already and wouldn't be considering an iPad in lieu of a computer.

$970 isn't a lot less than $1000.

Last edited:

JustinRP37

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2016
New York, NY
So somebody doing documents and spreadsheets, browsing the web, and doing light photo edits would spend $970 on an iPad Pro and keyboard?
[doublepost=1487444693][/doublepost]

$970 isn't a lot less than $1000.

They can pick up an iPad Pro base model with keyboard for $814.39 in NYC area (with a high sales tax rate compared to much of the US). They could go even cheaper with an iPad Air 2 and a third party keyboard. Any of these options would probably be better than a $500 cheap computer for most users' needs. The iPad is NOT meant to compete with a MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac Pro, Alienware, Surface Pro 4, etc. Apple is not about being the "cheapest". I do not get the point you are trying to make. Nobody is forcing people to buy anything Apple. People keep saying the company is dead, but once again it's stock keeps climbing and its satisfaction numbers are above industry averages.

Last edited by a moderator:

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I have an iPad Pro 9.7. Paid $465 for it during Black Friday. For 90% of the non-work related computing it works fine. It surfs the internet as well as my Macbook, runs most site's scripts. Also, IOS apps often have better interfaces for many services (Twitter, facebook, YouTube, this site, etc) than website interfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.