Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
Now that is a great ad. Hilarious. Round of applause to the ad company and the actors. Everyone is pitch-perfect. Brian " Yeah I like that. Feels iconic" lol

Very interesting how different people, maybe from different countries or across different age groups view things. I found the advertisement difficult or uncomfortable to watch for some reason. Although different to you, I was actually glad to see your reply as it reminds me of how subjectively we view the world around us.

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2007
Which of course is not a real thing. It's simply exploiting the low angular resolution of the human eye-brain system.

Long ago there was this thing about the "democratization" of photography. You see, it used to be that to write with light took some skill, but the masses wanted to take their own photos, so companies like Kodak came up with fixed focus cameras (wide-angle lenses, small apertures) using fast film. The masses rejoiced.

What Apple is doing today is just a rerun of that bygone era.
Photography used to be an art.
Journalism used to be a profession.
Now with bloggers and phone cameras, those activities have degenerated into mindless amateur exercises in vanity.

MiniMoke

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2009
Black River, Mauritius
Lightroom erase is about the worst of the bunch… really
Try « Retouch » from the Appstore, amazing and easy. Photos Extension!
Or Photomator’s repair tool.
They are all better

MiniMoke

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2009
Black River, Mauritius
Do people ever take portraits without knowing where the focus should be at the moment they press the shutter button? Modern cameras detect the eye of the subject and place the focal plane exactly at the eye.

I can't take Apple serious if they really think an iPhone is a good tool to take a photo. A phone is just a backup camera in case you do not have your real camera with you. Why wouldn't you use your best camera if you have the choice?
The iPhone IS my best (and only) camera and certainly capable of great things

Attachments

• IMG_3743.jpeg
    IMG_3743.jpeg
    801 KB · Views: 20

MiniMoke

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2009
Black River, Mauritius
I switched from dSLRs/mirrorless cams around eight years ago to iPhones. They're great cameras. And are ALWAYS with me.

Outside of edge cases, the strength of a photograph has little to do with the camera one uses.

It's about the photographer, his/her life experiences, imagination, ability to see, understanding the quality of light and how to use that advantageously, how to compose, when and how to let details drop into the shadows, understanding the power of released narrative and how that influences a viewer's imagination when viewing a photo, and on and on and on.

iPhones ARE serious cameras in the right hands. Just like any other camera.

In the wrong hands, they're also just like any other camera.

For real depth of field you need light from behind the person.

Well that’s NOT Like depth of field works. No need for backlighting!

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
Kudos to the actors for doing so much with such a clumsy, unnatural and longwinded script. It kinda felt like someone hitting you on the head with a wooden hammer repeatedly while explaining the same attempt at a joke over and over again. But they did a really good job with what they had.

Tripps9000

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2021
Well I can’t say I like the ad I mean this is a band with three members in it so all should be in the picture lol but it would be nice if apple did have the ability to remove objects people or items from the background to get the best possible picture 👍🏻

CloneBB

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2023
Tim Cook has no originality. Every year, there are commercials about the iPhone's camera capabilities.

Meanwhile, iOS is still very buggy and has an unintuitive GUI thanks to Apple copying Microsoft's horrible practice of using flat design. Please go back to the user-friendly skeuomorphic design of iOS 6. Use the same graphics as iOS 6.
So what areas do you struggle to use the interface?

rikki_t

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2023
Funniest thing to me is the picture actually looked better when all three were in focus, makes them look like an egotistical bunch of control freaks, definite case of technology in the wrong hands can be dangerous, iStalin was right on the mark

CloneBB

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2023
I love the camera on my 15 Pro Max. Have had almost every iPhone since the 5. However, I just bought a Canon and telephoto lens. Way better than the phone if the subject is further away.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Very interesting how different people, maybe from different countries or across different age groups view things. I found the advertisement difficult or uncomfortable to watch for some reason. Although different to you, I was actually glad to see your reply as it reminds me of how subjectively we view the world around us.
Good point. And of course we all see things through our own lens and sensibilities. What I find funny in the ad is the absurdity of the bad human behavior we see in our everyday lives and how oblivious some people can be recognizing it in themselves.

Reactions: lk400

MidwestGeek

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2023
Worst Apple commercial in over a decade. I have to turn away in disgust; literally reaching for the remote to turn the channel. These faces are repulsive and they just keep focusing on them front and center, over and over... Ugh!

Reactions: actripxl
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.