Apple, iPhone and Corporate America..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KMK420, Jul 9, 2008.

1. KMK420 macrumors member

Ok this may sound completely retarded, but it's my honest opinion of Apple, their products, marketing, pricing, etc.

Apple is a very innovative company. They make good products. But there's a catch. They make good products...but then SLAM customers with high prices for the devices, restrictive contracts, etc. An example. The iPod...when that first came out, it was like a viral youtube video. Everyone was talking, and everyone wanted one. Catch? Extremely high price. Same thing with the iPhone. When you create a product with such innovation, why not expand on it (open source applications, forget about 'corporate agreements' that can restrict application development, etc) and give customers the best bang for their buck? Simply put, Apple won't make as much money that way. If Apple decided to price the iPhone reasonably the first time, that would have increased sales dramatically. Not to mention i can't even fathom what would happen if they would expand on the damn phone a little! They now knocked the price down to "trick" customers into thinking "holy crap, thats a hell of a deal!!"

What they don't know is that they are going to get shafted on the contract, upgrade eligibility, text messaging plans, etc.

Reading Apple press releases, hearing what they are doing to customers... it really saddens me. Over what? Money. MONEY.

a $30 data plan and a $20 TEXT MESSAGING PLAN? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

let me break this down. you all know how much data is transmitted with a text message? what, 160 characters at most? the average web page has how many characters...thousands? and how many web pages do you view a day on the iphone? and how many emails do you send? and you mean to tell me its that expensive for the carrier to just include text messaging? (if you actually know how carriers work, cell towers and the cost of SMS, you understand.).

apple could have simply included text messaging (unlimited) with the data plan, and maybe upped it $15 instead of $10 (to $35).

as much as i want this phone, and i still plan on getting it (because tmobile service sucks here, and the phones i get through them are garbage or always refurbished).....i really had to consider this. i'm a HUGE text fan.

HUGE. upwards of 3-6k msgs a month...nothing INSANE, but enough to want an unlimited plan. now i'm going to have to tell all my contacts to NEVER text me, so i can send them an email using Teleflip or something like that.

It really disappoints me that a huge company like Apple will worry about "corporate agreements" more than treating their customers properly. not to mention ATT customer service is horrible. In one day i talked to FIVE (5) reps, 4 on the phone and e-chatted 1. Completely uninformed. Was put on hold 6 times for them to "look up the information" which really means (let me ask my supervisor because i'm too stupid to know).

I work in a call center (comcast) and if i would ever provide that kind of customer service i would probably be on a written warning.

I'm so tempted to get this phone, i plan on it, but Apple's price-gouging (txt plans), misleading press releases along with very sly and evil business practices are making me re-consider this very heavily..

anyone agree? disagree? explain..

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Vote with your wallet. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

END OF THREAD.

3. theotherrogue macrumors regular

Ummm... some Windows Mobile devices can cost upwards of $1000 dollars, and they aren't quite as innovative. And you pay the same service charges.

4. KMK420 thread starter macrumors member

A> I do like it.

B>Get off the Apple bandwagon and maybe think if some of the things i said were true.

5. KMK420 thread starter macrumors member

LOL...you obviously don't know too much about them then.

Microsoft is the same as Apple in my book

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

7. KMK420 thread starter macrumors member

And the point of your post is?

This is called a forum. Do you need educated on how they work?

8. theotherrogue macrumors regular

Yes. I do. I've used various WM devices over the last 5 years.

Bye.

9. KMK420 thread starter macrumors member

Then explain to me how the iPhone trumps those devices, with software extendability along with functionality.

Oh wait, you said bye. Didn't see that. Too bad.

10. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Just to clarify, because for some reason you fail to grasp this concept:

Apple is charging you $00.000000000000000000 per month for iPhone service.

Not a cent.

11. KMK420 thread starter macrumors member

what the hell is an iphone service?

last i checked i would be paying $89.99 for a voice/data plan along with a $20 text messaging plan + appropriate taxes and surcharges.

You fail to grasp the concept.

I'm singling the iphone out because the contradictions of their data plan + text messaging, plus their business practices regarding the iphone since v1.

12. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

But there are endless threads similar to this....you could have posted your rant there.

13. jhkaplan macrumors regular

Thanks for rehashing every complaint we've been hearing for the past month or so

1. Apple is a business, in this game to MAKE MONEY! I'm sure we'd all love for them to create the same great products and give em to us at dirt cheap prices, but it's not just gonna be that way. A lot of time, man hours, and R&D go into creating their products. There is a lot of overhead involved in the business that they run, because they are so innovative and forward thinking. These ideas and products don't just come about without years of development. Apple is not in the business of creating good products for a good price. They create a GREAT product, for a premium. That what makes them stand out from most large companies.

2. That's AT&T. Don't bitch to Apple because AT&T is charging you a lot for text messages. It'd be the same cost if you bought a Treo or a BB.

14. KMK420 thread starter macrumors member

1.) I understand you want to make money in a business. But there is no need to be making record profits, making MILLIONS and still shaft all of the end-users. Nobody is asking for dirt-cheap prices, we're asking for a FAIR deal especially with the data/txt issue.. i work for a fortune 500, i know the concept of "making the most money" all too well.

2.) Both apple and at&t could have combined the texts into the data plan. There is not ONE reason in the world not to, except to shaft customers and make more money. Read up on how much bandwidth 1 text uses, or even 1,000 texts...and then come back and explain to me why both the data and text plans must be seperate ASIDE from just "making more money"

15. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

One clarification that needs to be made is that Apple did NOT set any of the monthly pricing plans. Unless they are being specifically focused on AT&T, the plans would be fairly similar across the board. They are not (ex: Rogers)

Some other points.

- Apple has every right to price things as they please. If people don't buy them, then they screwed up. Is it evil to price things so high? Maybe, but if people are buying what is, for all purposes, a luxury item, then you can't blame apple for pricing it as high as they can. Cry about Open Source as much as you want, but this is still a capitalist country.

- Price drops spur sales. Shocking. Go read some articles about video game consoles.

- Last time I checked the details of the AT&T plans are out there for the whole world to see. It's not like you buy the phone and then Steve/AT&T CEO jumps out of the back of the store and yells "gotcha sucker!" Clearly you've noticed the prices and are cringing. But if you're still going to buy the phone, you can't complain that you got duped (again, it's a LUXURY item. Apple is not selling oil or milk).

16. KMK420 thread starter macrumors member

you're right, but i decided to rant in a new thread.

17. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

You don't like rules much then? A bit selfish isn't it?

18. Type121 macrumors regular

No, you're still failing. Apple is charging you $0.00 to use the iPhone. Which is up $0.00 from what they charged you to use the original iPhone, which was $0.00.

19. meagain macrumors 68030

What does AT&T's charges have to do with Apple?
    Is Apple also supposed to have formed their own wireless telephone company?

20. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

1)windows phones yes are great in certain ways, But the iphone is great for entertainment I remember when I use to use my windows phone for music it was horrible the music would speed up a large amount of times, and also when I use to unplug the headset the music would not stop unlike the iphone.

2)The person on top was correct this is a post IN a forum.

3) And also Microsoft is NOT like apple due to apple restricting their o/s software to hardware that it would perfectly on unlike Microsoft which i often refer to as a s.t.d it just spreads it self to anything which in turn damages the user experience.

21. KMK420 thread starter macrumors member

It doesn't matter who set the prices. It's mandatory to have a data plan with the iphone, and to not include texting into that is utterly rediculous.

They can price it how they please, thats the function of a company. People buy it because money doesn't matter. People spend $5,000 on RIMS FOR A CAR. Do you really think $200, $300 matters to most people? Those who want something will pay whatever the cost, because they simply WANT it. I bought a 500 GB hard drive for $120. I'm getting 8GB, plus a nice little screen for $200.

I'm not saying we're being duped, but we're definiately being shafted ATT and Apple are saying......hey.......guess what....IPHONE 3G BISHES!! But guess what, we know you all want it.....so lets capatilize on this...thus the seperate data/text plans, mandatory 2yr contract, etc.

22. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Even though I agree with some of what you said, it is not really Apple's fault. You fail to mention AT&T who is the one providing the phone service, data, and text messaging plans. Apple makes the phone and gives it to them to decide. Be thankful you're not in Canada or New Zealand or anywhere else........they have a lot more outrageous plans than AT&T does.

23. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

You do realise there are other countries in the world other than the USA?
    Not all countries are being 'shafted', the UK for example, is perfectly fine.
    O2 set them prices, att set the USA prices, Rogers set the Canada prices.......get my point? Apple sets the price of the handset, nothing more, nothing less.

24. KMK420 thread starter macrumors member

Rules? Since when is posting your own opinion on a forum against the "rules"? The rules here don't state that.

I understand that. My point isn't regarding who is or who isn't charging me; the fact of the matter is both apple and at&t collided and seperated the texts and MANDATORY data plan. i would have bought the phone without the data plan. but its mandatory; thats why i cringe.

The mandatory data plan. Thats the main reason i'm upset; you HAVE the get the data plan and if you are a text fan, well, you're just financially screwed unless you have over $100 to drop on a cell bill per month.

I wish i could understand the other half of that post..

25. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

In what god given cellphone company in the us provides free text messages with a data, And also consider yourself lucky because on verizon the data is 45.99 a month.