Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
KMK420) 2.) Both apple and at&t could have combined the texts into the data plan. [/QUOTE said:
After this whole thread, you still fail to understand Apple has ZERO to do with the monthly rates/costs. ZERO.

KMK420

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
You do realise there are other countries in the world other than the USA?
Not all countries are being 'shafted', the UK for example, is perfectly fine.
O2 set them prices, att set the USA prices, Rogers set the Canada prices.......get my point? Apple sets the price of the handset, nothing more, nothing less.

Obviously I'm referring to the USA/Apple/ATT...

I have a hard time believing apple sits back and makes no mention to ATT of what to do with the pricing plans.

Type121

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2004
Northeast
I bought a 500 GB hard drive for $120. I'm getting 8GB, plus a nice little screen for $200.

Shoot, I know what you mean. I bought a spindle of a hundred DVD-Rs, 417 GB, for 20 bucks after rebate. Those hard drive prices sure are a ripoff.

..thus the seperate data/text plans, mandatory 2yr contract, etc.

Horrible that they're charging what they've been charging for PDAs for, you know, ages.

KMK420

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
After this whole thread, you still fail to understand Apple has ZERO to do with the monthly rates/costs. ZERO.

Or so you think. Like i said i find it hard to believe they make it a mandatory data plan, make texts seperate, yet you sit here and tell me apple had no collaboration with att? Please. thats what they TELL you.

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
The mandatory data plan. Thats the main reason i'm upset; you HAVE the get the data plan and if you are a text fan, well, you're just financially screwed unless you have over $100 to drop on a cell bill per month.

No. You're financially screwed if you buy a phone that you can't afford to pay the pricing plan on. There are plenty of phones (and carriers) where you can be paying less than $40 a month.

sassenach74

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
Spain
Rules? Since when is posting your own opinion on a forum against the "rules"? The rules here don't state that.

Clearly you didn't bother to read them.......I'm referring to the rule stating that you must check to see if similar threads have already been posted, since you have already acknowledged that there are other threads like yours, you clearly knew you were breaking them......go rebel!

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
what the hell is an iphone service?

last i checked i would be paying $89.99 for a voice/data plan along with a $20 text messaging plan + appropriate taxes and surcharges.

You fail to grasp the concept.

I'm singling the iphone out because the contradictions of their data plan + text messaging, plus their business practices regarding the iphone since v1.

AT&T charges for the phone service, not Apple. It's a phone... they obviously need someone to provide the cellular network, because last time I checked Apple didn't have one.

$30 + $20 is what you have to pay for EVERY SMARTPHONE. Blackberry Curve, Moto Q, Samsung Blackjack, whatever. How is it a "contradiction"? If anything, the previous pricing was a contradiction because while the iPhone was classified as a smartphone, it was exempt from the traditional AT&T pricing scheme for smartphones.

Like others have said, Apple is a business and they need/want to make money. If you don't like it - you don't have to pay. There are other phones that are free, with cellular contracts that are cheaper.

Type121

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2004
Northeast
I have a hard time believing apple sits back and makes no mention to ATT of what to do with the pricing plans.

You think the guys at AT&T are going to let another company, not even in the wireless business, tell them how to recover their infrastructure costs? That's ridiculous.

Again, the rates for the 3G iPhone are exactly what AT&T has been charging PDA users all along. No consipiracy, no input from Apple.

KMK420

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
No. You're financially screwed if you buy a phone that you can't afford to pay the pricing plan on. There are plenty of phones (and carriers) where you can be paying less than $40 a month.

Thats where consumer discretion comes into play.

I know what i can afford, but i also truly believe that both Apple and ATT should have made a LOT of changes with the first iphone, both hardware, software, and financially.

I seem to have hit a sore spot with all of you on the apple bandwagon. Corporate america dicks over the consumer, and the consumer defends the corporation. Priceless.

MV ROB

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2008
If you would replace the word APPLE with AT&T, your rant would make much more sense. i too cant stand how much is being charged for things. But i know very well it isnt APPLE's doing whatsoever. The rate plans are COMPLETELY up to the service provider. Look at all the crap Rogers is getting for their "rate plans" and other carriers around the world are getting the same response. Sadly it hasnt been the same case here in the states cause others justify it as "well, thats what all data packages have been for BBs and such" Well I believe all of ATT plans are overpriced and especially their text message plans. I think ATT is a total ripoff with their text plans, and i will not get them IF i get the new iphone. BB users, WM users and the others pay the same price as Iphone users will be paying. Is it fair? yes it is, is it overpriced, HELL YES! The first gen iphone was priced high and unsubsidized due to the APPLE/ATT revenue sharing agreement with the rate plans. That is why there werent any rate plan discounts available. Now since the revenue sharing is over, people can use their FAN discounts. Again you should really research before you post something like that. Your whole rant was mostly directed at APPLE for rate plan pricing. Apple doesnt sell rate plans

sassenach74

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
Spain
Or so you think. Like i said i find it hard to believe they make it a mandatory data plan, make texts seperate, yet you sit here and tell me apple had no collaboration with att? Please. thats what they TELL you.

So, based on your theory, Apple had the input for EVERY smartphone contract with att?? Think about it ffs.....

KMK420

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Is a touch screen phone the best thing for a huge texting fan?

Trust me on this - I've used close to a dozen different model phones with different carriers...and in my experience, a touch screen would help me TREMENDOUSLY. Not to go as far as to say for everyone, but for me it would. I loved it when I had my friends iphone for a week.

Spongey817

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2008
I'm so sick of these threads.

Apple is not the one charging you monthly fees. See that at&t bill? Yes, that's at&t "overcharging" you. Got a problem? Go post it in an at&t forum.

Also, they've changed nothing. The data price for 3G has always been $30. ON EVERY PHONE FOR AT&T. And guess what else? None of the other plans have text messages included either! Go figure!

Before you lay out a complete waste of text composed of misdirected complaints, get your facts straight. Until then, I'm not even sure why I'm wasting my time with these threads.

MV ROB

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2008
its not a sore spot you hit. was just a very misinformed post against apple. your post shoulda been directed against ATT. but at least ATT isnt treating the iphone like some other carriers (rogers)

i dont qualify for an upgrade for either of my two phones on my family plan so ten to one i wont be getting the two 16GB phones. The phones just arent worth $1000 total for me. I was going to use my dads two lines to upgrade and get the phone but now im hearing that ATT once again is treating this phone as so special that you cant use someone elses upgrades to get this phone

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
Thats where consumer discretion comes into play.

I know what i can afford, but i also truly believe that both Apple and ATT should have made a LOT of changes with the first iphone, both hardware, software, and financially.

I seem to have hit a sore spot with all of you on the apple bandwagon. Corporate america dicks over the consumer, and the consumer defends the corporation. Priceless.

I'm not defending the corporation. I'm defending my right to what you call "consumer discretion".

I weighed the pros and cons of this purchase. How much extra it would cost me to have the iPhone 3G over my current one, and whether the extra features/benefits were worth it. I decided it was.

Would I like things to be cheaper? Duh. Who wouldn't.

I'm just finding a lot of hypocrisy in your statements saying that you're getting screwed over as you voluntarily fork over your cash. If you really thought the iPhone wasn't worth the money and chose not to buy it, I'd actually respect you.

KMK420

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Let me clarify instead of responding to individuals..

Why I'm upset:

@Apple - Marketing, press releases, open source, pricing on phone models, etc.

@ATT - Pricing, customer service, ShaftingTM

I guess i blurred the lines.

KMK420

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
I'm not defending the corporation. I'm defending my right to what you call "consumer discretion".

I weighed the pros and cons of this purchase. How much extra it would cost me to have the iPhone 3G over my current one, and whether the extra features/benefits were worth it. I decided it was.

Would I like things to be cheaper? Duh. Who wouldn't.

I'm just finding a lot of hypocrisy in your statements saying that you're getting screwed over as you voluntarily fork over your cash. If you really thought the iPhone wasn't worth the money and chose not to buy it, I'd actually respect you.

I haven't decided yet. It hasnt even been released. I still may stick with my Pearl / Tmobile.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
I'm so sick of these threads.

Apple is not the one charging you monthly fees. See that at&t bill? Yes, that's at&t "overcharging" you. Got a problem? Go post it in an at&t forum.

Also, they've changed nothing. The data price for 3G has always been $30. ON EVERY PHONE FOR AT&T. And guess what else? None of the other plans have text messages included either! Go figure!

Before you lay out a complete waste of text composed of misdirected complaints, get your facts straight. Until then, I'm not even sure why I'm wasting my time with these threads.

Read this again.

KMK420

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Read this again.

Let me clarify instead of responding to individuals..

Why I'm upset:

@Apple - Marketing, press releases, open source, pricing on phone models, etc.

@ATT - Pricing, customer service, ShaftingTM

I guess i blurred the lines.

Read that again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.