Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

one3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Vancouver-ish
What if Apple rather than Motorolla actually designed the iTunes phone (coming out sooner or later :rolleyes: ) ... and made it following the iPod shuffle mold ... tiny, maybe even on a lanyard like the shuffle:

iphone2.jpg

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Cute, but that keypad is not exactly brimming with Apple's reknowned intuitive UI. Now, a phone with no keypad at all, but with voice recognition to dial a spoken phone number...that's Apple.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
One big problem I see with that design: The number buttons are not laid out in the traditional

1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9
* 0 #

layout. Also, the Send, Hangup, and Power buttons should be between the keypad and the screen, not below the keypad. Think about how the user is going to be holding the phone and operating it with just one hand.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i agree with clay,

but i think the screen should be at the top, then the power and send buttons and then the keypad and the numbers as well as display should be turned as well so it is easier to use vertically, turning it horizontal to use would just be a pain in the butt

sorryiwasdreami

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
way out in the sticks
I'd use an iPod shuffle phone! Heck yeah. Only thing is, would it call people randomly!? Along with what others above said, the number pad needs some work. I think the device is too long; make it a bit wider by putting the screen 90 degrees from how you have it now.

Keep the scroll wheel exactly the same size, but put it below the screen, and add your number pad amongst/around/integrated within that wheel.

Nice concepts though!

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
the second one is much better and more feesible, now only if it were a real product it would kick a$$

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
actually your first mock up reminds me of the Nokia 7280 which actually has no key pad at all. I haven't had the chance to use one (don't even own a cell phone myself) but it has been done b4. So perhaps apple could work the dailing into the scroll wheel.

gallagb

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2004
IN
looks cool

despite all the 'it would be better if...' posts
i think it looks cool regardless

kinda a fun idea

if apple ends up comin out w/ something like it- u should be able 2 get a few million... :)

Heart Break Kid

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2003
Toronto
id personally love to see an iPhone with the T637 form factor...with video calling capabilities...like the nokia 6680....you know..itd be like iChat mobile...lol....you'd get that great "incoming video call from...." each time someone wants to video call ya

granted...this is super far fetched seeing how we here in the US dont have 3g nationwide...but still

its nice to dream

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
If it had the click wheel, you could put numbers 1 to 9 and 0 around it like a rotary phone, and dial it by sliding your finger around it just like a rotary phone...

mrdeep

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
I realize it'd be hideously unfunctional, but I'd love to see the ipod scrollwheel be used like a rotary phone dial.

edit: I swear the post right above this one wasn't there when I posted this!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Here's the real deal

Attachments

• itunes.jpg
    itunes.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 107

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I like it, i would make the wheel bigger and put the powerbutton either on top or incorporated with another but like the 3 key (hold down to power on/off; otherwise regardless i would buy it

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
one3 said:
Taking into consideration most feedback.... here is an updated mockup...
As a thought - if you integrated call end and power into a single button, you could drop the scroll wheel down a bit further. Also, I'm not sure how the phone would know you wanted to access the menu rather than play/pause (or is the center button one of those two directional switch things?).

The best part about your phone is what people haven't mentioned - no camera. You could take it anywhere.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
one3 said:
Taking into consideration most feedback.... here is an updated mockup:

iphone3.jpg

Bigger round or oval buttons works better for me.

And the white plastic I think very unlikely...more likely grey metal looking plastic or even aluminium shell for look, feel and durability...maybe even replacable shells like some phones allowing ipod mini colours and other personalisation.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
one3 said:
Taking into consideration most feedback.... here is an updated mockup:

iphone3.jpg
Yes, that's definitely more like it.

EDIT: On further reflection, though, it needs a color screen. Even cheapy cellphones have color screens nowadays.

forthebrave

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2004
dam! I LIKE IT! we can go one for days adding this and that, or taking away that and this, but I think simple is always better! coooooooL! i'd like to see it in color and with a camera so you get to use iPhoto!! I know it doesn't exist BUT I WANT IT!!!! I'm getting the same anxiety attack w/ this product as I am waiting for TIGER TO COME OUT!!

sorryiwasdreami

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
way out in the sticks
Your second mockup is way better! The only thing left is to make the number buttons more Apple-like. Take a look at various Apple products like earlier generation iPods, different macs, and also Apple GUIs.

I could really see the number pad being more integrated with the scroll wheel somehow. Right now you have too many separations: the screen, then the wheel, then the number pad. It needs to look and feel like everything is integrated and there should be more visual flow.

Take a look at these number pads to see what I'm talking about:

B00009J5VV.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
30471145-2-200-DT2.gif

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
i don't think apple will ever make a phone... its not feasiable... and this whole talk of itunes for movies.. yea thats at least 3 years down the road :cool:

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
- The power button could be on the top, like the Hold switch on a iPod.
- Screen needs to be color of course.
- Also need to have real buttons so it can interact with Automated voicemail systems (i.e., not voice activated alone)
- Would be nice to be a flip phone or a slide phone, like the LG PM-325.
- A touch-sensitive screen would allow you to stick the buttons right on the display, saving room and dumblookingness.
- The send/end buttons could be on either side, in thumb and finger positions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.