Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple iPhone's Ease of Use Encouraging Mobile Internet Usage

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

At the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, members of the mobile phone industry met for a three day conference. The iPhone's appears to have already had a large effect on the mobile phone industry, with many showing off iPhone clones.
Apple was able to make a phone that paid equal attention to the software and the hardware. And the rest of the industry was following suit here.
EETimes notes that in one conference entitled "It's the User Experience, Stupid", a blue-ribbon panel of human behavior and technology experts agreed that the iPhone represents a model for mobile operators to follow. They agreed that the existing user interfaces on mobile phones were poor compared to the iPhone and suggested that the iPhone's simply structured internet plans may also serve to encourage mobile internet usage. One ongoing hurdle to mobile internet usage has been the presence of confusing data service plans for consumers, resulting in cautious use, due to consumer fear of accumulating large service charges.

Indeed, it appears that iPhone owners are using the internet many times more than their non-iPhone counterparts. Google revealed that there are 50 times more searches originating from the iPhone than any other mobile handset. The discrepancy was so great that Google initially thought it was a mistake. This finding has also been reported by O2 who found that 60% of U.K. iPhone users are sending or receiving more than 25 MB of data a month.

Mobile internet usage remains a growing and potentially profitable market, but has been largely untapped with existing mobile phones.

Article Link

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
I am more likely to send an email than an SMS since the former is unlimited and the latter is not. So, yeah, its the unlimited Internet part of the plan, stupid.

Comment

Cleve

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
It really shows that carriers..

It really shows that carriers just need to get out of the way.
"It's the User Experience, Stupid"

http://blogs.computerworld.com/eetimes_iphone_success_its_the_user_experience_stupid

The message that the telecommunications companies must take away from the success of the iPhone is that they should stay out of the user experience as much as possible. At the end of the day, the core competency of the wireless carriers is to deliver data (and voice) communications, efficiently, reliably and hopefully simply.

Everything else is just interference.

Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I google at least 20 times a day on my iPhone. It is a big help whenever I need more information for class, or even how to spell words correctly. This is no suprise to me!

Comment

brad.c

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2004
50.813669°, -2.474796°
...The message that the telecommunications companies must take away from the success of the iPhone is that they should stay out of the user experience as much as possible. At the end of the day, the core competency of the wireless carriers is to deliver data (and voice) communications, efficiently, reliably and hopefully simply.

Everything else is just interference.

Exactly. Can you imagine if they telco's managed the content of the internet, not just the portal? Oh wait, they did. Back in the days when the internet sucked. (Apologies for being subjectively judgemental.)

Comment

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Mobile internet usage remains a growing and potentially profitable market, but has been largely untapped with existing mobile phones.

Potentially profitable???? It's the future!

Apple needs to start offering 3G networking (or something similar) built in to every laptop. Then cut a deal with AT&T to sell internet plans for $14.95 a month through iTunes that you can use with any of your mobile devices.

Comment

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Oh, Canada.

How I long for the remote Google experience.

When Rogers stops holding back the industry ( being the only GSM provider, although Telus are reportly very interested in starting its own GSM network ) and slash its data rates.

Comment

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I watch my friends with iPhones use them to access the internet all the time. While I sit there with my blackberry curve sitting in my pocket. The internet is so slow and gimped on that thing that I never use it.

This goes back to something that I've said for a while. For the average user, having an apple product over other products just means you will do more with technology. To a certain extent, apple users are just living a more technologically advanced life than the non-users. iPhone users are just able to do more things than non-iPhone users. The same goes with Mac users. Take video conferencing. It is a given for Mac users now, but for PC users, including in the office, it is a rarity. Imagine everyone had Macs at our desk, we could all video conference at the drop of a hat. But since we have PCs, we are very limited and restricted in what we can do.

So a power user can do the same thing on their phones or computers, but they often don't because even for them it is a pain. Or the power user gets to watch the layperson do the same things with their apple products thereby making said power user not look so powerful.

And to think that we may only be half a year from 3G connections for the iPhone. Think how much the difference is going to be when those users have much more speed at their disposal.

Comment

MyJelleo

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Konstanty said:
Google revealed that there are 50 times more searches originating from the iPhone than any other mobile handset.

Can Google distinguish between an iPhone and an iPod Touch?

yes. The iPod touch doesn't use the edge network.

Comment

sterlingindigo

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
East Lansing
Hell yes, the iPhone is awesome and will even be better (3G, GPS, larger storage, etc.)! Hopefully unlimited data plans are here to stay without price increases.

I'm not one for texting but I certainly hop on the Internet and email quite frequently, especially in wifi areas.

Edge (for me) is actually doable in a pinch. I work on sites where timeouts are an issue and I am able to do my business without getting kicked off 98% of the time (depending on how many bars I have), so I'm happy. I'll be trading up for the 3G fo sho tho...;)

Comment

brad.c

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2004
50.813669°, -2.474796°
When Rogers stops holding back the industry ( being the only GSM provider, although Telus are reportly very interested in starting its own GSM network ) and slash its data rates.

The 'why' is irrelevant to my angst, if it can be called angst. The 'when' is far more interesting.

Of course, 'How much' is the show stopper, which does bring us back to your point. When Apple offers 3G, we have a much better chance for competitive bidding for the almighty :apple: account.

I feel your pain, eh?

Actually, it's father down, round back, and to the right. I mean my wallet, of course. Not looking for a sympathetic reach-around. ;)

Comment

penguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2007
CA
According to the usage stats on the phone, I've received 2.0 GB over 7 months, or nearly 300 mb/month. 25 seems pretty small! (that, or I have a problem) :D

Comment

davidgrimm

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2006
North Texas
I am more likely to send an email than an SMS since the former is unlimited and the latter is not. So, yeah, its the unlimited Internet part of the plan, stupid.

It depends who you are trying to contact and why. Want to get a quick message to your friends on Sat evening on where to meet up, SMS works better.

I have never gotten my email successfully working on my iPhone. For a while only the junk mail got through. Its NP though, I'm only interested in sending short messages out from my phone.

Comment

davidgrimm

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2006
North Texas
Blue Ribbon Panel?

YOu didn't need a blue ribbon panel to see that most other phones' interfaces were CRAP. The mere fact that few people above the age of 14 could actually get their phones to do 1/2 of what the box said was proof enough. The iPhone is the only phone I can recall where different versions of software were provided as updates - Proof that Apple sees things differently than other phone makers.

The main difference here is Jobs. Jobs pushes his team to make the things better and easier to use. Other phone companies push out the junk and then fix it not with software, but the next model phone in 6 months...

Jobs may be an SOB, but at least hes OUR SOB...

Comment

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
YOu didn't need a blue ribbon panel to see that most other phones' interfaces were CRAP.

You also didn't need a team, or conference, to know that a simple unlimited data + phone plan was going to encourage internet use. I don't understand my phone plans at all, especially not the data charges. I just know that the rates could be dangerously high, and I could be charged $0.50 just going on the internet (without looking for anything).

My mobile company has around 20 phone plans, and none of them have clear, easy to understand service charges. MyTime, MyTime Money, YesTime, MyCredit, MyBonus, PowerUp Money, FreeCall.........just some of the terminology I'm expected to know, but what does all of this bull**** mean? They're definitely terms designed to make their rate plans unclear to the customer. Then there's the popular cap plans --- "Pay $30, get $120 + $30 worth of credit." Huh? Don't I just get $30 of credit? Doesn't my mobile provider simply overcharge me by 4 times?

Want to sort it out for me? Optus is my mobile company. Then tell me about the data charges, because I'm too stupid to understand it all.

Comment

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
The 'why' is irrelevant to my angst, if it can be called angst. The 'when' is far more interesting.

Of course, 'How much' is the show stopper, which does bring us back to your point. When Apple offers 3G, we have a much better chance for competitive bidding for the almighty :apple: account.

Actually, it's father down, round back, and to the right. I mean my wallet, of course. Not looking for a sympathetic reach-around. ;)

Canada pisses me off so bad when it comes to this iPhone mess. I canceled my Rogers account, and got a touch. I figure by the time the iPhone comes to Canada (thinking Fall of 08 or Summer 09) it will be at the next version. And the Touch will be obsolete.
But, bottom line getting the touch was the only thing that would satisfy me. Hacking the phone and paying a premium didn't jive with me.

at Least Vancouver is getting an apple store sometime in the next year or so... or so they say. I'm not even holding my breath on that one...:rolleyes:

Comment

tgildred

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
Potentially profitable???? It's the future!

Apple needs to start offering 3G networking (or something similar) built in to every laptop. Then cut a deal with AT&T to sell internet plans for $14.95 a month through iTunes that you can use with any of your mobile devices.

That would be sweet.

Comment

phelix_da_kat

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2005
its the BROWSER. stupid! :p

The size of the screen and the ease of use of the browser helps...
I have a Pearl and will be getting an iPhone next week.

The limited size of the screen, the crappy browser, the fact that pages will NOT open properly, the low speed...

When you say do a search in google - you find it "cumbersome" to review your results as the page is NOT optimised.

And YES - the unlimited data plan does let you forget about the cost you may or may not incur.

Mant of my friends have unlocked iPhones - they just whip them out and google EVERYTHING!!

Comment

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
"Feature List" vs. Real Life

This comes as no surprise to me (an iPhone owner)... the user interface on other cell phones is horrible. When Steve Jobs said that the iPhone was years ahead of everyone else, he wasn't talking about just hardware specs. After the iPhone came out you saw a bunch of other cell phone manufacturers come out with phones with similar "features" ("Touch Screen", "Mobile Internet", "Listen to Music on your Phone", blah blah). However, it is very difficult to turn a "feature list" into something that people actually like using.

It's the same deal as Vista vs. OSX. After all of these years Vista finally copied most of OSX's "features", however I can see from experience that even after all those years (and billions of dollars later), M$ still wasn't able to make something better. Take the "page flip" feature in Vista that is a copy of the "Show All Windows" Expose feature in OSX. The Vista feature is choppy feeling and practically useless. The OSX feature is great and I use it all the time. However, although the Vista "page flip" looks better printed on the back of a box, real life experience easily shows that it sux. :)

Comment

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
The iPhone scores here for two reasons:

1) It's an excellent mobile browser. Definitely the best in class.
2) The unlimited data plans. Most contracts for other phones don't offer these as standard.

Time will tell if revenue can be made here. I suspect that if data plans were capped usage would drop like a stone.

Comment

irun5k

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2005
I guess this explains why so many guys were quick to offer iPhone formatted versions of their sites. Even Bank of America, where I would have expected it to take years to roll out a new iPhone portal (I know, I used to work there- took forever and a thousand signatures to roll out any new tech.)

At first I was like- man... this is amazing. All these guys coming out with versions of their site for one phone from one vendor. But with these numbers, it is starting to make sense.

This is really nice for us and for the iPhone/Touch owners if you think about it. Apple doesn't need to get 90% of the market share for phones to start catering to us!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.