Apple iPod Hi-Fi Photos, First Looks

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

iLounge posts their first look at the Apple iPod Hi-Fi which was released on February 28th 2006.

The first look hosts a number of photos of the new device, including unboxing photos, and size comparisons with other popular units:

Audio quality? We don’t ever like to comment on this until we’ve done straight comparisons, but it was evident in each of Apple’s four demo rooms that the Hi-Fi is capable of revealing flaws in compressed audio - good for audiophiles, perhaps less so for average people or those accustomed to iTunes Music Store downloads.
Macworld provided their first impressions of the iPod Hi-Fi at the media event based on the demo rooms shown at the media event, and also received mixed reviews.

As previously mentioned, Inside Mac TV (iTunes) Video Podcast offers a relatively complete video of the introduction of the iPod Hi-Fi.

Jon'sLightBulbs

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2005
Chicago
Alright geeks, I'm buying one immediately. Quit whining. These puppies are going to be big. Anyone who's ever raved about the Bose Sound dock but complained that this puppy was too large, take it from Peter North: big output never comes in a small package!

Yes!

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
but it's so ugly!

I like the concept and I'm sure that the sound quality is fantastic, but I wish they'd contracted Bang & Olufsen to design the things.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
The packaging is good, and I think the unit looks good, but I wish they would comment on sound quality - that's what's really important.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I'm really impressed w/ the way they packaged the inserts. :eek: I think that alone is really sexy. I think I'm a bit tired.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I think it's hilarious that Apple strewed dirty laundry on the floor of the "teenager's bedroom" demonstration room :D

danielwsmithee

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2005
Bose

The Bose seams to look much better to me! I already know it sounds great. Who knows when these come into store's maybe I can listen to it in person and deside if they are worth the price!

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
they could have just come to my room. i'd let them use it if i got some free stuff. but then again, my mom would be mortified at the mess if she saw it on the internet!

musiclover137

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2005
Anyone know if the iPod Hi-Fi charges the iPod? There was no mention of that.

Also, I wonder why Steve didn't demo it during the event. Even if they had demo rooms outside. You'd think he'd demo it like he does EVERYTHING else.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Looks-wise I don't see how it could be called ugly, even if your tastes differ from Apple's. It simple and minimalist like every other Apple product, and it's just a speaker. I like the looks, but it's not fancy and loaded with curves and holes and lights. That's not Apple's style. I personally like simple.

Lertie32

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2005
CA
iHome comparison

I've been looking at the Bose too along with the iHome clock/stereo box...

Any ideas how they compare?

Frankly, with the massive iPod accessory industry booming already, I don't see the necessity for this. Obviously Apple is wanting to get on that bandwagon a little... At $359, this would have to have absolutely incredible sound better than any other product...

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
I just think that this was not priced competitively. $350 makes it the absolute most for the iPod "high quality" one speaker systems.

At least it does have inputs for other things, if you didn't HAVE a stereo at all this might be worth looking at.

pyrex

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2003
my small view

everyone made a big deal about the keynote, it wasn't a huge event, it was only a fun and new presentation with about 150 people who were invited, people who were expecting the next huge thing were bound to be disappointed.
it was a small event for a small release, its nice to have companies come and see the product and witness steve jobs talk about it, as he has great stage presence. The event was little advertised on apple, so of course it wasn't going to be huge, and topping off the last event of releasing intel products is a hard feat to beat. nothing amazing/revolutionary is likely going to come out anytime soon, apple has a busy road ahead still with the transition.
I am sure these speakers are pretty well made, although D batteries seem kind of old school, and i believe it should of had some sort of rechargable battery instead. Also the fact that they left out the wattage, but as it has high decibel output, 107 to be in fact, wattage probably wont play as big a role in the importance of the power output, as most home theatre speakers as lucky to put out 90 db.

Zillatron

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2004
nagromme said:
That's not Apple's style. I personally like simple.
I agree completly.

It's exactly Apple - nothing more than whats required to do exactly what it needs to do.

Z

Azmordean

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2004
Silicon Valley
Zillatron said:
I agree completly.

It's exactly Apple - nothing more than whats required to do exactly what it needs to do.

Z
So true. I would point out though that the addition of the audio in port gives this thing wonderful flexibility. It gives you a high quality amplified speaker in a portable package. Going to a beach house or ski resort for a week? Grab a dual RCA to minijack cable, and hook your game console, or your portable DVD player, or even the house's DVD player or VCR up to this thing instead of listenting to bad TV sound. Hook your laptop up for a high quality portable computer speaker. The audio input really is the gem in my opinion. It lets you hook up basically any piece of consumer electronics to this speaker. And while it isn't so light you are going to be taking it on short business trips, the fact is, its portable enough to put in the car and go with you a lot of places. The more I think about it the more I realize the potential for something like this way beyond just the iPod and the more I want one :p

I do have one question though - can you control the volume of the line in device? This is no problem if its, say, a computer - but if its something like a DVD player, unless you can control the volume you may be up a creek, since a lot of consumer electronics don't let you control the volume at the source, they expect you to control it at the amp.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
devilot said:
I'm really impressed w/ the way they packaged the inserts. :eek: I think that alone is really sexy. I think I'm a bit tired.

you're joking right? i thought that was obscene. its a total waste. though it was nice, they could of just had people buy their own adapter. thats what i would of expected...especially from apple.

Bosunsfate

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2006
Silicon Valley, CA
To buy or not to Buy

So, I'm all for getting one of these. Its perfect. The only problem, in six months they'll come out with a better model.

What will that have, and why should I wait for it....hmm, integrated Airport Express?:rolleyes:

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
musiclover137 said:
Anyone know if the iPod Hi-Fi charges the iPod? There was no mention of that.

Also, I wonder why Steve didn't demo it during the event. Even if they had demo rooms outside. You'd think he'd demo it like he does EVERYTHING else.
If it was demoed in that huge room, the sound would have appeared much quieter than it actually is. -Give many people the wrong idea.

pyrex said:
... ... I am sure these speakers are pretty well made, although D batteries seem kind of old school, and i believe it should of had some sort of rechargable battery instead. Also the fact that they left out the wattage, but as it has high decibel output, 107 to be in fact, wattage probably wont play as big a role in the importance of the power output, as most home theatre speakers as lucky to put out 90 db.
Most people will not use a battery (as it will get put in one room and stay there forever). Since most people would never unplug the unit, it would just charge 24/7 and fry the battery. I suppose Apple could of put a charge switch on the back, but that would just confuse too many people.
Adding that big a rechargeable battery would add a lot of price also.

dejo

Staff member
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
EricNau said:
Most people will not use a battery (as it will get put in one room and stay there forever). Since most people would never unplug the unit, it would just charge 24/7 and fry the battery.
I guess you don't realize that it's possible for a charger to detect when it's fully charged and stop. This technology has been around a while. I leave my iBook plugged in most of the time and never had any issues with the battery getting fried.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Bosunsfate said:
So, I'm all for getting one of these. Its perfect. The only problem, in six months they'll come out with a better model.

What will that have, and why should I wait for it....hmm, integrated Airport Express?:rolleyes:
I'd imagine this type of product won't be updated as regularly as other products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.