Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newdamage

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2006
Tried out Hifi in the Apple Store

Okay, so I was at the Keystone Mall in Indy and stopped by the Apple Store. Saw the HiFI, gave it a while.

Not. Impressed.

I would expect a lot more for $350. I have a decent Polk Audio home theatre system at home, and the center channel I have ran me about $150. That's all the iPod HiFi is, a center channel with an amp in it. And it sounded like poop. Maybe I'm just spoiled because I have a decent system at home, and a good pair of sennheiser headphones for the road ... but geez, the way Jobs was talking about this thing you'd think he'd contracted Paradigm or Infinity to build it.

Now I realize the Apple Store isn't the best place to try out audio equipment ... but still, the Coldplay track I tried out on the demo unit they had set up sounded bad. The vocals were tinny and the sound overall lacked any sort of warmth.

Just save your dollars folks and invest in a real sound system for home and a decent set of headphones for the road.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Sceadufax said:
yeah....cause B&0 made such a good job of that new Serene mobile phone, didn't they:rolleyes:

B&O stereos and TV's duh...thats a samsung phone with a 2 minute job from B&O....have u seen their phones for your land line ? :cool:

dnedved

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2006
Amsterdam, NL
little remote

So do the speakers, iMac, mini, and universal dock all use the exact same little remote control? What do those who've used it with these products for any amount of time think about it?

Personally I'm very skeptical. Too few buttons, and doesn't feel very ergonomic to me. Seems they didn't learn any lessons from Tivo. Tivo's remote is the best ever invented, and one of the main factors driving their brand loyalty.

A friend once said that the best way to pick out a DVD player / VCR / TV etc is to ignore the units and look at the remotes. The remote will be your interface 99.9% of the time, it will be the one part that you physically touch frequently. You'll be fumbling with it in the dark, its buttons will become imbedded in your muscle memory. How many of you can honestly say you'd end up with an Apple product if you used the remote as the deciding factor?

I'm sure Apple will eventually (and possibly too late) come out with a full-featured DVR. It may even just be a software update to their current line of remote-controllable computers. Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I look at the current remote and wonder how usable an Apple DVR would be.

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2005
The Moon
KC9AIC said:
A lot of people would agree with you about the inadequacy of lossy compression. For these people, there is the Apple Lossless format. I use it for the songs I actually care about.

Mmm, good point, I never really considered that possibility. (I guess I got scared of the amount of space it would require on both my computer and my iPod). But using it for a selection of the library makes sense, actually.

Well, if the iPod can give Hi-Fi quality sound, as it seems, then the new gizmo of Apple has to answer to Hi-Fi demand - and my previous comments are not correct anymore :rolleyes:

Now for that price... it has to be really good :eek:

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
BlueRevolution said:
but it's so ugly!

I like the concept and I'm sure that the sound quality is fantastic, but I wish they'd contracted Bang & Olufsen to design the things.

OK.. I sort of agree that it is not the best design that Apple has come out with. It certainly doesn't suite my house, but do you know what you are talking about?

Apple has one of the most highly regarded designers in the world as a VP. Jonathan Ive is a God in his field and I am amazed that you would suggest that B&O (who make nothing but sh*t) should design it.

I am assuming that you are quite new to Apple and don't know what the hell you are talking about!

Now that I have had my rant, I am not saying the the man is always right, but although I have publicly stated that I don't like this thing, I went off on one when the iMac G5 came out calling it the ugliest thing I had ever seen. Mr. Ive's work is best seen in the flesh. When I first saw the iMac G5 in person I was blown away by its beauty.

Wait until you see one before you comment (I didn't).

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
If I had a balcony to take one out on, or a wanted even a little bit of portability, I would probably seriously consider one. Since I don't, I wil lprobably get the Bose SoundDock unless, afterlistening to them both, the Apple sounds better.

I don't have a problem with the form factor, personally. The price irks me a bit.

Sceadufax

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2005
London
Platform said:
B&O stereos and TV's duh...thats a samsung phone with a 2 minute job from B&O....have u seen their phones for your land line ? :cool:
ok take a chill pill(sounded sooooo 2004 but had 2 say it) B&0 stuff is overpriced tat,Linn/Harmon Kardon/Wilson Audio is much better, B&0 stuff is for people with more money than brains, and as for those phones....pffft:rolleyes:

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
For me personally, it's not so much about the unit looking good/ok/terrible (select at preference) it's the fact that it does look sturdy, won't be broken very easily (Unless some kid jams pencils in the front!) and it's the sort of unit you can hump around at the beach, the balcony, the car, the tennis court - whatever, without it risking being broken.

It has the perfect level of controlls (volume) and a dock connector for all iPods - perfect!

But, the price...ahh the price. £250 for something that I could actually get some (cheap) active monitors for with a much higher level of audio accuracy? I guess it's going to depend on who has got £250 to spend on something that is inherantly limited from the day you purchase - it will be interesting to see how they support new form factor iPods...

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
dnedved said:
So do the speakers, iMac, mini, and universal dock all use the exact same little remote control? What do those who've used it with these products for any amount of time think about it?

Personally I'm very skeptical. Too few buttons, and doesn't feel very ergonomic to me. Seems they didn't learn any lessons from Tivo. Tivo's remote is the best ever invented, and one of the main factors driving their brand loyalty.

A friend once said that the best way to pick out a DVD player / VCR / TV etc is to ignore the units and look at the remotes. The remote will be your interface 99.9% of the time, it will be the one part that you physically touch frequently. You'll be fumbling with it in the dark, its buttons will become imbedded in your muscle memory. How many of you can honestly say you'd end up with an Apple product if you used the remote as the deciding factor?

I'm sure Apple will eventually (and possibly too late) come out with a full-featured DVR. It may even just be a software update to their current line of remote-controllable computers. Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I look at the current remote and wonder how usable an Apple DVR would be.

The remote is great...you don't need and don't want any more buttons...for what ?

It does fit great in your hand too. I really like it ;)

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
You know what cracks me up?

"Audiophiles" are some of the most miserable and cynical people ever.

B&O has some kick ass stuff. I like that their stuff looks and sounds good to me. Pity for you you think its crap.

Bose has always sounded good to me - I had some oftheir original Acoustimass speakers in the late 80s. Loved the sound. Pity if you think it is crap.

What is most likely to be in our living room and house? B&O and Bose.

I think being and proclaiming yourself and audiophile gives you extremely limited choice. I'm glad my ears can't tell the difference. :cool: ;)

Sean Gadoury

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2006
none

I bought an Ampeg 8x10 bass cabinet, replaced the black tolex with white, flipped it on it's side, and even carved out a little hole for a dock. I even integrated an FM radio and Airport Express. This was almost as expensive as this new product.

blilly

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2005
People: Can we stop these two types of comments?!

First: DO NOT discuss Bose as a 'leader in sound' or anything else for that matter. If you have Bose and you like it, fine. But no true audiophiles would ever buy Bose . . it's strickly top of the low-end. This is not up for discussion.

Second: IT'S A GOOD THING that the iPod HiFi is big! You cannot get good sound from a tiny, "portable" package. I'm not judging the sound of this thing until I hear it myself, but Apple did NOT REALLY INTEND this to be a portable solution. I think the batteries thing is just so folks can drag it out to the patio for a grillout or party, which is a good idea. Heavy is good here.

Carry on. :)

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
blilly said:
First: DO NOT discuss Bose as a 'leader in sound' or anything else for that matter. If you have Bose and you like it, fine. But no true audiophiles would ever buy Bose . . it's strickly top of the low-end. This is not up for discussion.

Told you so. :D

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
jahutch said:
I do have one question though - can you control the volume of the line in device? This is no problem if its, say, a computer - but if its something like a DVD player, unless you can control the volume you may be up a creek, since a lot of consumer electronics don't let you control the volume at the source, they expect you to control it at the amp.
Yes, there are volume controls, on the top of the unit.

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
The design is nice but the iPod dock is not fitting for a device like this. Sitting the iPod in the top limits the way you can use it or even travel with it. The iPod looks like it will fall out if you try to pick up the speaker system. Taking this thing to the beach is out of the question. So is riding in the car or sitting outside on the stoop.

There should be a compartment that securley encases and holds the iPod so you can travel with it. Only pristine even surfaces looks as if it will support this thing.

Whats the point of the handles if you cant carry it?

Grade, B-

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2005
The Moon
freeny said:
The design is nice but the iPod dock is not fitting for a device like this.

Somebody mentioned bringing it to the tennis court...
Can you imagine?

- Smash / Crunch / "Aaaaah, my iPod !!!" :D

(The case of the HiFi device would be, on the other hand, left all safe).

ZLurker

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
Sweden
freeny said:
The design is nice but the iPod dock is not fitting for a device like this. Sitting the iPod in the top limits the way you can use it or even travel with it. The iPod looks like it will fall out if you try to pick up the speaker system. Taking this thing to the beach is out of the question. So is riding in the car or sitting outside on the stoop.

There should be a compartment that securley encases and holds the iPod so you can travel with it. Only pristine even surfaces looks as if it will support this thing.

Grade, B-
My point exactly!
This was my first reaction when i saw it, WTF is the ipod doing sticking out like that?

Does anybody know if you can connect the FM radio device to the ipod while its connected to the iPod HiFi?

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
Use your minds!

Sit back and look at the iPod sitting in the iPod Hi-Fi and think. There could have been hundreds of designs, so why was this one chosen. Stereo in one case, you cannot switch channels accidentally by putting them on the wrong side. Nothing to assemble or connect besides the power cable and the iPod. The controls are also really minimalist. Why all the fuss over what it doesn't have or should have? Just sit back and look. It has the iconic iPod sitting on the top, protruding from this simple box. It is nothing more then a platform or stage to show your iPod.

Thats the art in it.

It is almost like a pedestal you see in a museum where the object sits on top, the pedestal goes almost entirely unnoticed and you look at the object. If you were to walk into anyones home and see just this, without any complication, just simplicity and an iPod, you would make the connection. The minimulaist/modernist design works so effectively as a showcase. No matter how cluttered and busy a room is, you WILL take notice. That doesn't even begin to touch on your ears tracking the sound to the location. The whole unit commands your attention. Hell, look at all the attention (negative or not) it has gotten already and it hasn't been demoed for the masses yet, nor seen in real life!
I'm hoping for a good tax return this year, and maybe my iPod can receive some museum treatment!

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
miketcool said:
Sit back and look at the iPod sitting in the iPod Hi-Fi and think. There could have been hundreds of designs, so why was this one chosen. Stereo in one case, you cannot switch channels accidentally by putting them on the wrong side. Nothing to assemble or connect besides the power cable and the iPod. The controls are also really minimalist. Why all the fuss over what it doesn't have or should have? Just sit back and look. It has the iconic iPod sitting on the top, protruding from this simple box. It is nothing more then a platform or stage to show your iPod.

Thats the art in it.

It is almost like a pedestal you see in a museum where the object sits on top, the pedestal goes almost entirely unnoticed and you look at the object. If you were to walk into anyones home and see just this, without any complication, just simplicity and an iPod, you would make the connection. The minimulaist/modernist design works so effectively as a showcase. No matter how cluttered and busy a room is, you WILL take notice. That doesn't even begin to touch on your ears tracking the sound to the location. The whole unit commands your attention. Hell, look at all the attention (negative or not) it has gotten already and it hasn't been demoed for the masses yet, nor seen in real life!
I'm hoping for a good tax return this year, and maybe my iPod can receive some museum treatment!

A perfect example of function submitting to form.

I guess if your gonna just sit this thing on your shelf and listen to music its a fine piece of stereo equipment. If your looking for a "Boom Box" keep moving, there is nothing to see here.

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
Remember when...

freeny said:

The original iMac had a handle that was touted for portability. It is really more of sometihng to help the user set up the device with more ease. You're not gripping it under the sides like a fool, trying to balance it so you don't smash your hands. I imagine there is also something in it's grabbability factor in the store. Like you can physically move it each time you want to dust your IKEA bureau that cost 1/8th of the iPod setup.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
miketcool said:
The original iMac had a handle that was touted for portability. It is really more of sometihng to help the user set up the device with more ease. You're not gripping it under the sides like a fool, trying to balance it so you don't smash your hands. I imagine there is also something in it's grabbability factor in the store. Like you can physically move it each time you want to dust your IKEA bureau that cost 1/8th of the iPod setup.

Heck, the original Mac had a handle...

it's for mobility not portability... so you can move it around your house.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Arnaud said:
Somebody mentioned bringing it to the tennis court...
Can you imagine?

- Smash / Crunch / "Aaaaah, my iPod !!!" :D

(The case of the HiFi device would be, on the other hand, left all safe).

Wow, I would actually take out the iPod while I moved this thing.

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2005
The Moon
Gasu E. said:
Wow, I would actually take out the iPod while I moved this thing.

Mm, I was more thinking about the whole set installed and playing, and then the tennis ball hitting the iPod, actually... :D

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
freeny said:

Grade, B-

I know what you mean. I wanted to sell my car, but I couldn't, because my wife was in it.

What's that you say? "Remove the wife." Huh?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.