Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Langly

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2005
Cumbria, England
It's great! What else can I say? :cool:
I resisted getting a big iPod for ages, mainly on price grounds, but the Shuffles are a bargain! Not only can they store oodles of music, you can move data files around on 'em too! I've even managed to plug mine into *whispers* PCs, no problem, though it's a faff unmounting it in W**d**s 2000 :(
Nice and light, slips into a pocket where the play controls are still easy to use through the fabric. My only slight moan is that the on switch is hard to manipulate, making it difficult to select shuffle or ordinary mode, and the headphones won't stay in my ears properly, though that may just be the design of my ears (Analogue-Cerebral 2 channel interface ver. 1.0) ;) rather than the 'phones. I may be tempted to go for Apple's in-ear ones instead.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
ya but if u only need 1 gig of music u save 300 bucks and if u where buy a one od songs why not get the i gig shuffle?? and the size??? each hasa reason to be bought

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i love my shuffle, goes with me whenever i go running, lightweight and gives me a good variety too

it has great battery life too

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
James Philp said:
iPod Shuffle 512 = $198 per GB!
iPod Photo 60GB = $7.50 per GB!
Ouch!
As a cheap mp3/aac/etc player, though, it's awesome. I bought a couple for my partner and I last week. Just right for the gym.

We don't have the kind of upfront for minis, and besides -- I'm not going to go running with anything that has moving parts, regardless of what Apple says they can handle.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
brap said:
As a cheap mp3/aac/etc player, though, it's awesome. I bought a couple for my partner and I last week. Just right for the gym.

We don't have the kind of upfront for minis, and besides -- I'm not going to go running with anything that has moving parts, regardless of what Apple says they can handle.

exactly, anything that is not flash memory i will not go running with, especially not at the cost of the regular ipods either, the shuffles are small and if something deadly happens to it a couple years down the line i wont feel like crap because its not that expensive

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
brap said:
I'm not going to go running with anything that has moving parts, regardless of what Apple says they can handle.
Minis are pretty strong,for there size, my mini has fall a couple of inches at time(which if not much) bt it once fell 4 feet plus and the only thing that was wrong was the clikc wheel was stuck in the ipods case,but it poped out,but shuffle still is better for running

Langly

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2005
Cumbria, England
James Philp said:
Ouch!

Do the shops in Oxford charge for things in dollars? and do you buy everything by the gigabyte? I'm sorry but i've got this image of you picking up sticks of memory, weighing them in your hand, looking at the price then rejecting them because they fall outside your gigabyte/dollar acceptance ratio :D

If it was purely a matter of cost i'd keep lugging my old Zip250 drive round with me and listen to minidiscs whilst cycling (running? too much like hard work! :D)

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
James Philp said:
Ouch!

who needs that much memory though for music? personally i think that its nice having a 512 shuffle...i love mine. i periodically update whats on it and it stays new and fresh all the time. even leaving the same 137 (thats how many songs i had on mine) on it for a week or so i only play the same songs a few times and thats less than when listening to the radio lol. if i want more i will listen on my laptop.

fox2005

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2004
Lima, Peru
is it possible, and is there a solution on the market, to connect a mic to the shuffle and use it to record conversations?

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
joecool85 said:
who needs that much memory though for music? personally i think that its nice having a 512 shuffle...i love mine. i periodically update whats on it and it stays new and fresh all the time. even leaving the same 137 (thats how many songs i had on mine) on it for a week or so i only play the same songs a few times and thats less than when listening to the radio lol. if i want more i will listen on my laptop.

I see your point, but it is extremely convient having your entire music library with you all the time- especially while driving. My 20GB iPod has become filled, just as my original 5GB became filled after about a year of owning it. That being said, I do have the luxury of owning an iPod Shuffle 512MB as well, and it's awesome. Both the 20GB and the Shuffle have their purpose, and both perform admirally in doing so.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
joecool85 said:
if i want more i will listen on my laptop.
what is easyer to carry a laptop( cost more $$$) or a iPod photo.? If you want to listen to a lot of songs get a big iPod if not get a shuffle or mini. There it is plan and simple

JackSYi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Bought one the day it was announced. I own a 6GB Silver Mini, but the shuffle is good for jogging and I backup my papers and research on it as well. Great buy, don't regret it one bit. :eek: :eek: :eek:

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
James Philp said:
Ouch!

so? if someone only wants to spend 99 bucks they sure can't look to an ipod photo or any other ipod for that matter.

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
zap2 said:
what is easyer to carry a laptop( cost more $$$) or a iPod photo.? If you want to listen to a lot of songs get a big iPod if not get a shuffle or mini. There it is plan and simple

I definetly agree about that, but I don't need that many songs with me. Quite frankly the 137 songs on my shuffle are ample enough.

mxpiazza

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
cleveland, oh
its just perfect to work out with... get the arm band and some good headphones to work out in, and you can barely even tell that you're wearing it. it's a great entry-level iPod, but for most Apple aficionados, it is a perfect supplement to the larger, more expensive models.

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
I love my Shuffle.

Whats the point of caryying around a bigger iPod, if (1) you listen to the same few songs over and over again, and (2) you set it to the shuffle setting anyway. With an iPod Shuffle you can fill it with songs that you like, with bigger iPods, you put any 'rubbish' on it, and then have to skip through lots of songs to find one that you want to listen to, and then listen to a select few all the time. I have had no second thoughts about buying a Shuffle.

::20ROGERSC::

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
I just got a 512 shuffle today, on an impulse.
I was picking up my PowerBook after a HD repair.
I mentioned off hand to a clerk that I want a shuffle, but I wasn't really sure why.

They had an open 512 shuffle, so it was only $80.
The woman said she'd hide it in the back until I got paid... but then I was like "ha! screw that!" and I just got my mom to forward me the $86.

I thought I wouldn't like it, and I always make fun of people that wear it on the lanyard.
Now I'm one of them and I feel soooo coool, hahahaha.

I wore it to the grocery store!

Because of the non-HD-could asplode from running thing, I may start running/walking.
Stupid shuffle.. making me wanna exercise!!

shane-o-mac

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2005
512 Shuffle Rocks!!!

Picked up one of these bad boys while I had my Mom in the apple store and picked up a new powerbook. With itunes and such a powerful and light portable mp3 player I love music now, so much so I shelled out some serous cash for etymotic earbuds. The level of volume this bad boy puts out is crazy and I already blew through two pairs of apple earbuds( so beware). My best bud has a 40g ipod he never uses now since he tried out my shuffle and got one. It slides so perfectly in my jeans...have to say using the lanyard may be a bit much,my university is already littered with the likes of people jamming with white earbuds which means only one thing...go apple!

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
I have a 30Gb iPod Photo which is awesome for transporting my entire music colection as well as thumbnails and originals for some photos, awesome product. I will admit however that based on the cost and the functionality of it I hesitate to take it to the gym or running. When I get home I am self-birthdaying Tiger and a 1Gb shuffle, just because :p

As far as using the Shuffle for a USB key, are there any compatibility issues when using it with various systems? I know you cannot hook up your iPod to a ton of computers for sharing reasons, but can the Shuffle distinguish between music sharing and file sharing? if not, there goes that usage :(

Langly

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2005
Cumbria, England
I've used my Shuffle for transferring data between a range of machines – Macs running OS9 & OSX and PCs running Windows 2000 & XP. The only problems i've had are trying to mount it on XP, and plugging it into the USB ports on the side of an eMac and a G3 iMac. It won't go straight into the port and needs a USB extender cable. I thought Apple might have designed it to be more compatible with its own product family.... :eek:

Chef Medeski

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
New York, NY
James Philp said:
Ouch!

I guess you aren't including the fact that for any music player iPod to Shuffle there is a standard nearly same price for the elctronics portion such as buttons, battery, and processor.

I beleive if you take that money out you would find that the price would only be about a 1:12 ratio instead of 1:28.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.