Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
1,052
0
Well it seems likely that some new iPod commerical is coming since Apple Stores took down current Ads and I haven't seen a iPod Ad on tv for past 2 months.
 

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
1,508
1
Washington, D.C.
Macrumors said:
Appleinsider claims that Apple has filmed an iPod TV commercial in New York.

MacRumors has received the same report, but the information can not be verified.

Essentially the report simply stated that there would be a new feature set but no further details.

all i can say is that i love the iPods, but i'd rather have a 12" PB G5.
 

morkintosh

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2003
193
0
dukemeiser said:
These could be commercials for 4th gen iPods. iPods haven't been updated forever.

updated forever?? I'd say the iPod needs to get in line behind the power mac. The pods just got the mini ... I want my dual 3.0.
 

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
1,153
0
mi
morkintosh said:
upded forever?? I'd say the iPod needs to get in line behind the power mac. The pods just got the mini ... I want my dual 3.0.

because it *is* technically impossible for apple to work on any two projects at the same time... :rolleyes:

matt
 

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
2,180
5
53132
rev 4 of the ipods will make things very interesting. apple is trying to stay ahead of the game, and I think that the new ipod can help (whenever it comes).
 

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
1,052
0
morkintosh said:
upded forever?? I'd say the iPod needs to get in line behind the power mac. The pods just got the mini ... I want my dual 3.0.

I believe the next PM update will come in either May or June.
I remember when folks talked about the 3Ghz saying it probably won't be here until July or Aug.
 

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
12,109
76
Solon, OH
dukemeiser said:
These could be commercials for 4th gen iPods. iPods haven't been updated forever.
Have you looked at the MacRumors buyers' guide? The indication there is that iPods aren't due for an update anytime soon (the recommendation is Neutral) - that's why I bought one last week.
 

Loa

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2003
1,697
72
Québec
4th Gen iPods...

Hello,

Here's my take on the iPods. Apple has to do something, and do it very soon as it is already far behind in the mp3 player race in terms of features. Look at those players:

iRiver iHP-120: 20Gigs, USB2, plays all formats save AAC, Digital line in and line out, Analog line in and line out, voice recorder (direct-to-MP3), volume controlled microphone (direct-to-MP3), FM radio and a 16 Hours Battery. (Very basic mac compatibility, can serve as a hard drive.)
349$

DMC Xclef 500: 40Gigs, same thing as the iRiver except that it has a 20 hours battery, uses an ordinary (i.e. user upgradable) drive, is fully mac compatible and can serve as an external hard drive as well.
Again, 349$.

To get 20Gigs in an iPod, you have to pay 50$ more and you still don't get any line-ins, digital or otherwise, no internal microphone, no radio. You only get AAC compatibility. And you're still far from the Xclef's 40Gigs.

As for user interface, they're probably not as easy to use as the iPod, but we're not children and it's not rocket science anyway... And what if they're not as pretty as the iPods? It's not as if I'll be putting them on display at a museum! Most likely they'll spend most of their time in my pockets...

I really want to buy an iPod to go with my Macs, but these days it's getting harder and harder. I'm not a teeny-gadget type freak, so the boring Mini doesn't do a thing for me. I want a full featured mp3 player / hard-drive / recorder and Apple is lagging far, very far behind.

Man! 40Gigs, 20 hours battery, digital and analog ins and outs, recording features, fully mac compatible and still 50$ cheaper than an iPod with half the HD!!! :eek: That 4th gen iPod is already very late and its looking older by the minute! Apple needs to get that featured-upgraded iPod out now!

Loa
 

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
12,109
76
Solon, OH
Nisaea said:
Hello,

Here's my take on the iPods. Apple has to do something, and do it very soon as it is already far behind in the mp3 player race in terms of features. Look at those players:

iRiver iHP-120: 20Gigs, USB2, plays all formats save AAC, Digital line in and line out, Analog line in and line out, voice recorder (direct-to-MP3), volume controlled microphone (direct-to-MP3), FM radio and a 16 Hours Battery. (Very basic mac compatibility, can serve as a hard drive.)
349$

DMC Xclef 500: 40Gigs, same thing as the iRiver except that it has a 20 hours battery, uses an ordinary (i.e. user upgradable) drive, is fully mac compatible and can serve as an external hard drive as well.
Again, 349$.

To get 20Gigs in an iPod, you have to pay 50$ more and you still don't get any line-ins, digital or otherwise, no internal microphone, no radio. You only get AAC compatibility. And you're still far from the Xclef's 40Gigs.

As for user interface, they're probably not as easy to use as the iPod, but we're not children and it's not rocket science anyway... And what if they're not as pretty as the iPods? It's not as if I'll be putting them on display at a museum! Most likely they'll spend most of their time in my pockets...

I really want to buy an iPod to go with my Macs, but these days it's getting harder and harder. I'm not a teeny-gadget type freak, so the boring Mini doesn't do a thing for me. I want a full featured mp3 player / hard-drive / recorder and Apple is lagging far, very far behind.

Man! 40Gigs, 20 hours battery, digital and analog ins and outs, recording features, fully mac compatible and still 50$ cheaper than an iPod with half the HD!!! :eek: That 4th gen iPod is already very late and its looking older by the minute! Apple needs to get that featured-upgraded iPod out now!

Loa
Apple uses smaller (miniature) hard drives that are not user-upgradable in the iPods to keep their size as small as it is. I'd be willing to bet that the other players you mentioned aren't as small as the iPod, and they're cheaper because they use cheaper hard drives. I've heard that the ones with user-upgradable hard drives are using ordinary notebook drives - that is why they are so cheap, yet don't come close in terms of size to the iPod and iPod mini. You are right about the features - the iPod could certainly use more. I don't think the price will change significantly because the hard drives Apple chooses to use aren't cheap either - simple as that.
 

d_jk

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2003
5
0
London, UK
wrldwzrd89 said:
Have you looked at the MacRumors buyers' guide? The indication there is that iPods aren't due for an update anytime soon (the recommendation is Neutral) - that's why I bought one last week.

The last iPod update was simply a hard drive capacity increase in the bottom of the range model (along with the iPod mini release). It's been over a year since the iPod was redesigned. I expect an iPod redesign, to some extent, before the end of 2004. I'm hoping it will include line in recording.
 

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2002
1,039
54
Cyberspace
wrldwzrd89 said:
Have you looked at the MacRumors buyers' guide? The indication there is that iPods aren't due for an update anytime soon (the recommendation is Neutral) - that's why I bought one last week.


uhm do you know math? Avg days since update =161. 115 days since an update
that's like 46 more days... a little over a month...just in time for WWDC IMO :rolleyes:

sucks you couldnt wait 46 days or at least till WWDC before you decided to buy an ipod :D
 

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
12,109
76
Solon, OH
TrunksGoku said:
uhm do you know math? Avg days since update =161. 115 days since an update
that's like 46 more days... a little over a month...just in time for WWDC IMO :rolleyes:

sucks you couldnt wait 46 days or at least till WWDC before you decided to buy an ipod :D
Who is expecting iPod updates at WWDC? As far as I know, nobody is. I'm certainly not, at least not until rumors of iPod updates are posted. Besides 46 days is more like 1.5 months, and for me it would actually have been 54 days till the end of an average update cycle (I bought mine on Wednesday, April 21, 2004).
 

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2002
1,039
54
Cyberspace
wrldwzrd89 said:
Who is expecting iPod updates at WWDC? As far as I know, nobody is. I'm certainly not, at least not until rumors of iPod updates are posted. Besides 46 days is more like 1.5 months, and for me it would actually have been 54 days till the end of an average update cycle (I bought mine on Wednesday, April 21, 2004).


even if it was 54 days WWDC is coming up...you can't put aside that there is a possibility of an ipod update, even if there aren't any rumors going around...waiting couldnt hurt.

Even if there wasn't an update to the ipod you cant put aside that the possibility is there especially when WWDC is so close now
 

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
12,109
76
Solon, OH
TrunksGoku said:
even if it was 54 days WWDC is coming up...you can't put aside that there is a possibility of an ipod update, even if there aren't any rumors going around...waiting couldnt hurt.

Even if there wasn't an update to the ipod you cant put aside that the possibility is there especially when WWDC is so close now
I didn't really care anyway - I was determined to get an iPod, update in the next two months or not. As long as the MacRumors Buyers' Guide says "Neutral" or better, I'd gladly buy an Apple product.
 

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
6,781
2,042
wrldwzrd89 said:
Have you looked at the MacRumors buyers' guide? The indication there is that iPods aren't due for an update anytime soon (the recommendation is Neutral) - that's why I bought one last week.

Let see, when the emacs were updated, the buyers guide also said neutral. Apple is so unperdictable. Apple may be updating the pods to take away the attention of the powermac updates.
 

Loa

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2003
1,697
72
Québec
wrldwzrd89 said:
Apple uses smaller (miniature) hard drives that are not user-upgradable in the iPods to keep their size as small as it is. I'd be willing to bet that the other players you mentioned aren't as small as the iPod, and they're cheaper because they use cheaper hard drives. I've heard that the ones with user-upgradable hard drives are using ordinary notebook drives - that is why they are so cheap, yet don't come close in terms of size to the iPod and iPod mini. You are right about the features - the iPod could certainly use more. I don't think the price will change significantly because the hard drives Apple chooses to use aren't cheap either - simple as that.

The iRiver is exactly the same size: I've held one in my hands. The Xclef is one inch longer and half an inch wider. Big deal. It stills fits in one's pocket...

But the drive isn't everything that's wrong with Apple. The iRiver has twice the battery life and the Xclef even more than that. For 50$ less! Regardless of all the other advantages, I'd still go for the Xclef anyday!

Right now I'm waiting for the 4th Gen iPod, but I won't be holding me breath for too long... The buying guide is wrong: a minor change like that shouldn't count as a product update! Just add the current and previous bar: the iPod is WAY overdue!!!

Loa
 

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
27,397
12,514
morkintosh said:
updated forever?? I'd say the iPod needs to get in line behind the power mac. .

Which should be in line behind the iMac.
 

ebunton

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2004
138
0
Sydney
Satisfaction Guaranteed

On the battery issue:
Mmm, I wonder if adding a longer-lasting battery in the iPod will significantly reduce Apple's profit margin (assuming that the price of the iPod remains the same.)

If it doesn't, then it would be easy to believe that Apple decided to use the cheaper battery option to maximise profit.

They probably conducted a study which concluded that the majority of people would get an iPod anyway over other digital music devices, regardless of the low battery life, because the other features (such as excellent user interface, design etc) were considered more important.

Clearly, Apple needs to balance the features/specs of their products to satisfy customers as well as investors.

Off topic: It seems to be the case with their PowerBooks and iBooks. Their G4 processors are lagging behind in terms of speed to those from other companies, namely Intel. I'm certain that Apple can source faster processors, if they believed that that is a feature that would significantly boost profits.
 

the_mole1314

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
774
0
Akron, OH
I know that many 3rd parties have higher capacity batteries out now that can last for 10 hours in the current 3rd gen iPods. I think that Apple NEEDS to get bigger batterylife, that's one of the main points used against the iPod by their competitors.
 

g30ffr3y

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
676
0
buffalo ny
TrunksGoku said:
uhm do you know math? Avg days since update =161. 115 days since an update
that's like 46 more days... a little over a month...just in time for WWDC IMO :rolleyes:

sucks you couldnt wait 46 days or at least till WWDC before you decided to buy an ipod :D


what do you mean "sucks"... even if apple delivered new ipods tomorrow... he still got an ipod!!! ipods rule... not everyone is super concerned with having the latest and greatest... becauses really the latest and greatest is only that for one day... theres always anticipation towards whats next...

congrats on your ipod!!!!!!!

*note* i am someone who is concerned about the latest and greatest just to clarify... i just got my 30gig replaced with a 40 three days ago from best buy... after they had my 30 in their super secret best buy lab trying to fix it for two friggin weeks... i hope apple doesnt make it obsolete for at least a month or two... id rather have that dual 3gig powermac...
 

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2002
1,039
54
Cyberspace
g30ffr3y said:
what do you mean "sucks"... even if apple delivered new ipods tomorrow... he still got an ipod!!! ipods rule... not everyone is super concerned with having the latest and greatest... becauses really the latest and greatest is only that for one day... theres always anticipation towards whats next...

congrats on your ipod!!!!!!!

*note* i am someone who is concerned about the latest and greatest just to clarify... i just got my 30gig replaced with a 40 three days ago from best buy... after they had my 30 in their super secret best buy lab trying to fix it for two friggin weeks... i hope apple doesnt make it obsolete for at least a month or two... id rather have that dual 3gig powermac...


latest and greatest > 1 day old and busted.. ;) :D

of course all the ipods RULE~!!!!
 

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
2,944
0
Alameda, CA
Nisaea said:
But the drive isn't everything that's wrong with Apple. The iRiver has twice the battery life and the Xclef even more than that. For 50$ less!

I guess that's why you see so many people walking around with iRivers and Xclefs. :rolleyes:
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.