Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
Nisaea said:
The iRiver is exactly the same size: I've held one in my hands. The Xclef is one inch longer and half an inch wider. Big deal. It stills fits in one's pocket...

xClef HD-500 (20GB 2.5") looks reasonable. Its volume is 230cm^3 (129 * 81 * 22mm)
iPod's 40GB volume is 118cm^3 (4.1 by 2.4 by 0.73 inches)

xClef is nearly twice the size of the iPod. More if you use the slightly smaller iPod 20GB (100cm^3).

xClef HD-500 weighs 255g, iPod weighs 175g (158g).

and for an Apple user, the lack of AAC support is a bit of a hassle. xClef only has 12MB of buffer memory, the iPod has 32MB, which allows for faster smoother transistions between songs.

Yes, Apple could make a slightly larger iPod with a bigger battery, and hence longer battery life. Maybe the new iPod will use a lower power hard drive and electronics, thus providing longer battery life? (the competitors are based on a newer design which must help them)

The HD-800 uses 1.8" hard drives, but I can't find full specs on the manufacturers website, suggesting that it is really new. The OGG support looks useful though.

Brian Haworth

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2004
Santa Rosa, CA, USA
In reply to some stuff earlier:
I don't deny that some of these mp3 players by iRiver and the like look pretty slick. I don't deny that they don't weigh all that much more and aren't that much bigger. I admit that they have a lot of neat features that the iPod doesn't have. But Apple has a couple big things going for them: name recognition and market share.
I see a lot of people around my school and town with mp3 players. A good amount of people still have CD players, but of the mp3 players, I've noticed that about 50% are the small, cheap, low capacity ones that the iPod mini was designed to compete with, and the other 50% are iPods. I have not seen a single iRiver or Xclef.

Brian Haworth

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2004
Santa Rosa, CA, USA

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Brian Haworth said:
In reply to some stuff earlier:
I don't deny that some of these mp3 players by iRiver and the like look pretty slick. I don't deny that they don't weigh all that much more and aren't that much bigger. I admit that they have a lot of neat features that the iPod doesn't have. But Apple has a couple big things going for them: name recognition and market share.
I see a lot of people around my school and town with mp3 players. A good amount of people still have CD players, but of the mp3 players, I've noticed that about 50% are the small, cheap, low capacity ones that the iPod mini was designed to compete with, and the other 50% are iPods. I have not seen a single iRiver or Xclef.

And that's what it ultimately comes down to, doesn't it? I see a multitude of people on the street, in mass trnsportation, etc. all with either iPods or those cheap little $50 MP3 players that hold 128 MB (or whatever it is). I have only seen perhaps 1 iRiver in my life and not one Xclef. I'm not saying people still don't buy them, but the consumer is always right, and all you need to do is look at what the majority of comsumers out there are using, and it's the iPod - not the iRiver or Xclef - and the consumer public has the final say, don't they? It doesn't matter who has better features, who has better value, yadda yadda ad nauseum - all it comes down to at the end of the day is, what do people ultimately buy? The answer - for the vast majority - iPods. :cool:

AdamZ

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2004
Saw the commercial on Espn last night

Notice when previous comercials were to come up on your television, you may have not beeen paying attension but as soon as you heard the music you looked up from whatever your doing. Same thing happened last night, but it wasn't untill the actor paused his ipod did I look up and notice the commercial.

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
iPod mini backorders

With the huge backlog on iPod minis right now, I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple hold any major ad campaign for the mini until mid- to late-summer at the earliest. Sure, brand it while it's hot, but I just see them holding off until they can better serve the orders.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Porchland said:
With the huge backlog on iPod minis right now, I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple hold any major ad campaign for the mini until mid- to late-summer at the earliest. Sure, brand it while it's hot, but I just see them holding off until they can better serve the orders.

I still think they will release a revised range of normal ipods to try and give the market an alternatibe. 15-20 gigs in coloured shells with the ipod mini scroll wheel would probably grab a fair few buyers.

Brian Haworth

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2004
Santa Rosa, CA, USA
aswitcher said:
I still think they will release a revised range of normal ipods to try and give the market an alternatibe. 15-20 gigs in coloured shells with the ipod mini scroll wheel would probably grab a fair few buyers.

While I do prefer the original iPod's button layout, and thus the way the mini does it, the reason for having the clickwheel in the mini was because of minimal available space for seperate buttons. I don't think they'll be putting the clickwheel on the iPod, because they wouldn't be able to make the claim that it has no moving parts in the button interface anymore.

Nobs

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2003
Ohio
Don't know if anyone mentioned in this thread, but the new iPod commercial is now on Adcritic.com.

DAP Don

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2004
New York, NY
~Shard~ said:
And that's what it ultimately comes down to, doesn't it? I see a multitude of people on the street, in mass trnsportation, etc. all with either iPods or those cheap little $50 MP3 players that hold 128 MB (or whatever it is). I have only seen perhaps 1 iRiver in my life and not one Xclef. I'm not saying people still don't buy them, but the consumer is always right, and all you need to do is look at what the majority of comsumers out there are using, and it's the iPod - not the iRiver or Xclef - and the consumer public has the final say, don't they? It doesn't matter who has better features, who has better value, yadda yadda ad nauseum - all it comes down to at the end of the day is, what do people ultimately buy? The answer - for the vast majority - iPods. :cool:

Interesting take, but not quite seeing into the whole picture really. As was mentioned before, Apple has put in a lot of money towards advertising, more money for one of its specific products than any other. Good move on their part really. However, this does not mean that all the other players are left in the dust, or are not recognized as being worthy competitors...Matter of fact, the iPod, while still being a decent player in general, has truly lost any real standing ground so to speak when you look at it from a feature set point of view, and also from a sound quality point of view. Take these two players: The Rio Karma and the Iriver H series.

Most people wind up with iPods these days because of the fact that they're too lazy to do any research, and always have the iPod in mind because they're constantly being bombarded with iPod and iTunes adds. When the iPod first came out, it was pretty much THE Mp3 player with NO competition. Most of todays' competing Mp3 players honestly don't need to advertise their players the way Apple does the iPod, though it would help increase stock prices and sales...no doubt.

I've done my very fair share of DAP reviews and music listening with the iPod, and the Iriver which I own, and to be honest, I had very legit reasons to go with the IHP (as did MaNY people over at Mistic River over the iPod and even the Karma, even though the latter would be my second choice BY FAR. I can list MANY reasons why...but I'll only list a few as to not seem like a troll. I do actually appreciate the iPod for what it does, and for what it was in its day. It is sexy looking...and it does have an exceptional GUI/UI (though there's still room for improvement such as looping in the menues and artist searches etc...and a more precise, less jumpy scroll wheel...it's easy to overshoot your target)

The things that Apple needs to be on the ball with if they claim they care about the MUSIC and NOT JUST the prettiness (come on guys...having a pretty player is nice, but the novilty wears thin...besides, there's another HUGE reason as to why this shouldn't matter so much to iPodders, but does, and I'll save that for last.) is:

1)Gapless playback (Iriver and Rio have acknowledged this)

2)Digital line in or outs ON the unit for use with a portable amp. (only the Iriver has them ON the unit)

3)A real EQ section...because the current one is truly terrible. (Karma has a 5 band parametric EQ which does not cause distortion at any frequency unlike the iPod's)

4) Battery life. People say that their iPods get like 8 hours...Riiiight. More like 6 IF you're lucky. Sorry, I travel a lot and don't have the opportunity to be near an outlet all the time. No go there. Karma and IHP get 16 hours with target bitrate files. I honestly get around 14 hours using nothing under 192 KBps VBR Mp3's or Q6 Ogg's.

5) Now, I know that iPod owners are always saying that the iPod offers the most 3rd party stuff, but the truth is that the IHP either already has the features ON the player which you have to pay more for in order to get, OR, the extras are also sold on the Iriver site. Cases, battery packs, (not even needed), car adapters, soon to have cradles with new series....

6) Yes, the iPod is seen as an external HD on PC's and you can use it to transfer back and forth BUT...and a big BUT...you NEED extra software in order to build a data base if you want to actually play music files which have been transferred from the PC to the iPod. That means that the target PC needs to have iTunes installed on it OR you have to carry around either iTUnes, or one of the third party programs and execute them FROM the iPod on what may not even be your PC....Not necessary with the IHP. Unfortunately the Karma offers neither said offering.....

7) The iPod is simply way more expensive from the get go, and even more expensive if you buy extras, and has less battery life ? Weird to me.

8) Oh lessie, did I forget something ? Yeah..I did...Remote control ! The iPods remote is USELESS. It was one of the things that kept me from actually buying it. I live in NYC, and I'll be damned if I'm going to hold a small and easy to drop or have stolen $500 music player in my hands if I can help it. To be honest people...if you guys had an LCD remote control, like the one the IHP has, you'd never NEED to carry the iPod in your hands ! Chances are, you don't see people carrying other DAP's aside from iPods, because other DAP users are either not as vain as your typical iPod user, or because they have remote controls clipped on to their jeans and don't want to hold their players !

I could have given a bunch of other reasons as to why the other said DAP's are a better choice, but I don't know how well received such a long list would be here. Anyway, like I've said, I've spent long periods of time with an iPod 2nd gen...and it's a fine player, I actually like the sound of it, and it's pretty for sure, and playlist support on it is nice, but other players are doing this bigger, and better now...And will continue to do so, regardless of how many shares of Apple stock seem to be selling. What amazes me though, is how people with a certain mind set fear trying new things as if they're out there to hurt them. It's all good people...do what you will. Oh, and I think that my black IHP is one sexy b***h ! Good ol' Darth.

D.D.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Just watched the ad on Apple.com. I guess it's now airing in the US. I like it. Nice, because it fits in well with the silhouette campaign but is something fresh and different (I was starting to tire of seeing those ads). Thumbs up.

Open-Your-Eyes

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2004
Chesire
SCREEN

On the subject of ipods....

mine has quite a peculiar screen, looks as though it has leaked...

Am i imaging it?
Are they meant to be like that?

or...

should i take advantage of my insurance and replace it?

Help!

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Open-Your-Eyes said:
On the subject of ipods....

mine has quite a peculiar screen, looks as though it has leaked...

Am i imaging it?
Are they meant to be like that?

or...

should i take advantage of my insurance and replace it?

Help!

That doesn't sound right to me - I'd get that looked into... :confused:

nemesisdome

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2003
WWDC new ipod

I read in other forums.....:

...macosx.com reports the next generation iPod will have a color screen for sure.
"Our sources have confirmed the next generation iPod will have a color screen. The new iPod will not be much different in form and function from the current models, but the primary difference is the color screen. Other details about the iPod are scetchy on our end but the fact it will be color is not up for debate. We are sorry we don't have more information to provide or details concerning the screen itself, but when it does come out or other rumors abound of it, just remember you heard it here first."........

mmmm in next expo?????? mmmmmmmm true o false?

:rolleyes:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
nemesisdome said:

...macosx.com reports the next generation iPod will have a color screen for sure.
"Our sources have confirmed the next generation iPod will have a color screen. The new iPod will not be much different in form and function from the current models, but the primary difference is the color screen. Other details about the iPod are scetchy on our end but the fact it will be color is not up for debate. We are sorry we don't have more information to provide or details concerning the screen itself, but when it does come out or other rumors abound of it, just remember you heard it here first."........

mmmm in next expo?????? mmmmmmmm true o false?

:rolleyes:

I guess we'll find out in a week at WWDC! I sure hope Jobs has some large non-iPod announcements too, though, if this is indeed the case - it seems like the iPod has been stealing the show lately, with Mac hardware updates almost taking a backstage to them. I love to see the iPod updates, as I know it's an excellent source of revenue, etc., for Apple, and is a product line Apple needs to keep advancing in order to remain competitive, but I hope that if there are big iPod announcements @ WWDC along these lines, then there will be at least big non-iPod announcements too, whether it be in the form of updated displays (bring on the 30"!) or G5 iMacs. Guess we'll see!

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
The advert still left me wanting a little more. I think they could have spun out one maybe two more shadow-on-colour dancing commercials, and then zapped us with something more rewarding than posters induced into predictive animated frenzy.

Thumb still balanced on the horizontal, struggling against the forces of gravity.
:(

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
nemesisdome said:

Too bad macosx.com has lost points on be right over the past few years. They used to be pretty good and correct. Given their many recent misses, some out right wayyyyy off base, I would not put much in this rumor. I just don't see it happening this soon. A year maybe. Right now they have their hands full just meeting demand on the current lineups. I would expect to see a no frills announcement of larger HD in them but that is about all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.