Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Therefore, we can rule out any 3D touch, I guess. It is quite unlikely that Apple would introduce it with a minor update.

I personally don't think we will see 3D touch, but the introduction of the solid state home button makes it more of a possibility in my eyes. I am not sure why Apple couldn't release a 10.3.3 updated specifically for 3D touch on the 10.5. It is not like they are introducing a new feature to iOS, but more of a supporting feature specifically to a new device.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
The view on MR Buyer's guide is depressing... Apple is "late" on EVERY product. What happened?

2 open questions:

1) The new format (10.5") will need some tweaking to iOS, I guess. Can we expect a 10.x update dealing with it? Otherwise, selling the iPad before iOS 11 would make no sense.

2) The 12.9" iPad is older than the 9.7". How would it fit with the upgrade to 10.5 while keeping the older 12.9 with a slower chipset?

I think it's quite likely that we'll see an updated 12.9 (physically the same look) along with the new 10.5 (which really looks like a larger 9.7 but with slimmer bezels).

And both will have the same resolution - 2732x2048, so the 10.5 will show the same content as the 12.9, pixel for pixel, but obviously with a higher ppi.

However, I do hope we see some nice software updates for iPad Pro and new features for the larger resolution on the Pros.

Reactions: Legendts

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Good ! So leave it at there and Mind your own Business

This is called making mockery of yourself even after repeatedly getting insulted you still have the audacity to say that !

Prattle on if you wish...I've already proved my point that you haven't been entirely truthful with your viewpoints.

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
Prattle on if you wish...I've already proved my point that you haven't been entirely truthful with your viewpoints.

So you don't have to agree you can ignore it and don't try to prove who is right and who is wrong here not your business.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
We don't really know what could be behind the delay, but a higher resolution screen condensed into a smaller package, with the addition of true tone and potentially 3D touch could definitely lead to some issues. Just because it isn't a massive redesign, doesn't mean there aren't a ton of changes on the inside. And it will happen at WWDC, way too many clues at this point.

True, I guess we will see at WWDC but I don't think we will all the products that have been mentioned. IPad Pro, MacBook and Siri speaker seem a little much when you add software updates take up most of the time.

askunk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
London
am not sure why Apple couldn't release a 10.3.3 updated specifically for 3D touch on the 10.5. It is not like they are introducing a new feature to iOS, but more of a supporting feature specifically to a new device.

Well, from a pure marketing standpoint, it seems a bit weird, given Apple behaviour when introducing new substantial technology in their products.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
True, I guess we will see at WWDC but I don't think we will all the products that have been mentioned. IPad Pro, MacBook and Siri speaker seem a little much when you add software updates take up most of the time.

I don't think any MacBook announcements will be made, just a silent update or a brief mention if anything. If Apple avoids the lengthy demo's by app makers, they should be fine on 2-2.5 hours.
[doublepost=1495643417][/doublepost]
Well, from a pure marketing standpoint, it seems a bit weird, given Apple behaviour when introducing new substantial technology in their products.

I am not sure what you mean. They can introduce the iPad 10.5, market it as having 3D touch technology, all while using a point update that has 3D touch implemented specific to the 10.5.

Reactions: profets and Dave245

askunk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
London
You are right. They can do that. Although, I wouldn't understand the rationale. With the iPhone, is the bigger that gets the higher specs. This way (refreshed 12.9, new 10.5) it's the smaller one to be better. I know it happened with the 9.7 Pro, but I think it was just because it was rolled out later. In the eventuality of one event, I would expect the 12.9 at least to get 3D touch as well.

I am with you with the disappearance of the physical home button. A localised haptic engine could work easily. I am prone to think that the 3.5mm will disappear as well to achieve water resistance.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I personally don't think we will see 3D touch, but the introduction of the solid state home button makes it more of a possibility in my eyes. I am not sure why Apple couldn't release a 10.3.3 updated specifically for 3D touch on the 10.5. It is not like they are introducing a new feature to iOS, but more of a supporting feature specifically to a new device.
...unless the supporting code for 3D touch is completely removed from the iPad version of iOS. If that is true, then it is no trivial matter to add it now.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
...unless the supporting code for 3D touch is completely removed from the iPad version of iOS. If that is true, then it is no trivial matter to add it now.

That's a good point also. I don't see it happening, but I don't think it'd be any issue on Apple's end from a software standpoint.

Reactions: sracer

nutriousmitten

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2017
So what's the thought...is the current 9.7 going to be available (from Apple itself) after the June 5th, or is it done and no longer available, or is it getting a spec bump too and will sit beside the 10.5? I tend to think its done as-is.

Currently Ipadless again after returning a Air2 that was having some issues, trying to figure out the strategy for the next few weeks. I don't have total confidence that the 10.5 will be available for a few weeks later on in June, which pushes me back a month and not sure if I can wait that long.

Held off this long for an upgraded 9.7, but the bigger 10.5 screen isn't a requirement (though the form factor is the same, so its a wash). Third party sellers will still have 9.7 stock if it vanishes from the Apple website.

alba63

macrumors member
May 3, 2017
So what's the thought...is the current 9.7 going to be available (from Apple itself) after the June 5th, or is it done and no longer available, or is it getting a spec bump too and will sit beside the 10.5? I tend to think its done as-is.(...)
I don't have total confidence that the 10.5 will be available for a few weeks later on in June, which pushes me back a month and not sure if I can wait that long.

What kinds of questions? Regardless of what everybody may think ar say or write here, there is only ONE SINGLE way to find out: Just wait till 5th of June and after the announcments, act accordingly. "Not sure you can wait that long"? Wait or buy something now.
Profound 1st world problems....

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
I think the 9.7" iPad will be available as a Plain version not the Pro so the iPad Pro could be available only in the new sizes which is the possible 10.5" and 12.9"

askunk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
London
What I still can't understand is how Apple is going to hold sales on the 12.9" if the refresh doesn't enhance this model with a reduced bezel. The 10.5" will be very close in dimensions, more stylish and will cannibalise the 12.9", in this scenario.

The fancier one has always been the bigger one: Macbooks, iMacs, iPhones, iPods, Apple TVs...

mkasu

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2010
Japan
I'd probably think of it more like a preference thing (e.g. 38mm vs 42mm Watch). I, for example, couldn't care less about the reduced bezels of the 10.5 and currently plan to buy a 12.9-inch model if an updated one is announced at WWDC. I think especially if you use it for things like drawing or handwritten notes, the 2.4" might make a big enough difference to justify its existence (esp. as 12.9 almost resembles an A4 page).

The only way I'd think about buying a 10.5 would be, if they don't upgrade the 12.9 at all; which would mean it almost feels abandoned, as it already lacks behind the Pro 9.7 in terms of features. I don't really want to buy a 2-year-old version which lacks things like the TrueTone display.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
I'd probably think of it more like a preference thing (e.g. 38mm vs 42mm Watch). I, for example, couldn't care less about the reduced bezels of the 10.5 and currently plan to buy a 12.9-inch model if an updated one is announced at WWDC. I think especially if you use it for things like drawing or handwritten notes, the 2.4" might make a big enough difference to justify its existence (esp. as 12.9 almost resembles an A4 page).

The only way I'd think about buying a 10.5 would be, if they don't upgrade the 12.9 at all; which would mean it almost feels abandoned, as it already lacks behind the Pro 9.7 in terms of features. I don't really want to buy a 2-year-old version which lacks things like the TrueTone display.

I'm all over the 12.9 if it gets a refresh, the 10.5 doesn't appeal to me at all as I'll be using it for studying, Djay Pro and drawing

Reactions: Trufunk

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
What I still can't understand is how Apple is going to hold sales on the 12.9" if the refresh doesn't enhance this model with a reduced bezel. The 10.5" will be very close in dimensions, more stylish and will cannibalise the 12.9", in this scenario.
Probably because reduced bezels aren't a "thing" for most people who are interested in the 12.9 Pro. When was the last time you heard someone say, "gee, I'd love to buy a 12.9 Pro but... dat bezel!" :p and "more stylish"?! When talking about tablets in the $800-$1000 range, "stylish" isn't high on the priority list. The current Pro is already very attractive... it's not like it is the "iPad Pro: Quasimodo Edition".

What is going to stir up sales of the 12.9 Pro isn't going to be hardware updates but iOS improvements that more fully utilize the 12.9 Pro hardware.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Probably because reduced bezels aren't a "thing" for most people who are interested in the 12.9 Pro. When was the last time you heard someone say, "gee, I'd love to buy a 12.9 Pro but... dat bezel!" :p and "more stylish"?! When talking about tablets in the $800-$1000 range, "stylish" isn't high on the priority list. The current Pro is already very attractive... it's not like it is the "iPad Pro: Quasimodo Edition".

What is going to stir up sales of the 12.9 Pro isn't going to be hardware updates but iOS improvements that more fully utilize the 12.9 Pro hardware.

I don't know. Bezel may not have anything to do with my point, but if they were able to reduce the overall size and weight of the 12.9, I think it would make a lot of people happy. Besides software, this is the biggest complaint I have seen. I would think reducing the bezel could reduce the overall size.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Therefore, we can rule out any 3D touch, I guess. It is quite unlikely that Apple would introduce it with a minor update.
I feel like 3D touch is integral to making iOS on iPad more powerful. Its almost a must at this point to move the software forward with things like drag n drop, etc.

Reactions: Appleaker

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009

I don't know. Bezel may not have anything to do with my point, but if they were able to reduce the overall size and weight of the 12.9, I think it would make a lot of people happy. Besides software, this is the biggest complaint I have seen. I would think reducing the bezel could reduce the overall size.

Both good points I'd say.

I think I've mentioned it in the past, but I've been using a 9.7" Pro for over a year and have been itching a lot to move to the 12.9" in the future. If a 10.5 and 12.9 are updated next month, and with the same resolution I feel like it would be a tough choice. I'd be quite curious to see in person how a 10.5" with the 12.9" resolution but with the mini's PPI would feel.

Definitely hope we see some significant improvements to iOS for the larger resolution though.
[doublepost=1495813377][/doublepost]
I feel like 3D touch is integral to making iOS on iPad more powerful. Its almost a must at this point to move the software forward with things like drag n drop, etc.

I hope we see it at one point. I use it so frequently on the iPhone that I miss it on the iPad.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Interesting. I've never encountered anyone who didn't buy a 12.9 Pro because of the bezel size. I HAVE seen people wanting something in between the 9.7 and 12.9 sizes. I would think that any reduction in bezel size short of going completely bezel-less wouldn't be enough to cause someone to change their minds.
shrug.gif

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Interesting. I've never encountered anyone who didn't buy a 12.9 Pro because of the bezel size. I HAVE seen people wanting something in between the 9.7 and 12.9 sizes. I would think that any reduction in bezel size short of going completely bezel-less wouldn't be enough to cause someone to change their minds.
View attachment 701087

Yea that's not what I am saying. I don't think anyone would look at those bezels and say nope, can't buy with those things. I am just saying I think people would appreciate a reduction in overall size and weight as the 12.9 is currently quite hefty.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
View attachment 701087
Screen size is nice if it gets bigger but I think its useless unless they start doing more with the iPad OS (like 3D touch technology). The fact they're probably going to release new iPads next month gives me hope that they start beefing up the software a bit more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.