Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should Apple acquire EA?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
In order for this to make sense Apple would need to put an M1Pro/Max level chip into a "GamePod" and sell it at 500$.

Would fit right in with the rumours about a combined AppleTV/Homepod going around and would for sure NOT run macOS.

Games would for sure also be released for macOS and i(Pad)OS where suitable but the focus would be on competing against Nintendo, Sony and MS consoles.

spac3duck

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2017
Alternatively… Apple should buy Nintendo and become a force against Xbox, PlayStation and PC

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
From a financial perspective, a deal at this level would be fine. Forward PE of 18 with revenue growth of 36% and earnings growth of 196%is not bad. The tech crash does make for a good opportunity to buy tech companies at a discount. EA stock is up about 18% off the recent lows so it sounds like this leaked a while ago.

Wolf Puppy

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2021
All the sports games would have to remain multi platform, so buying for exclusivity is not gonna work. Also, EAs best work is behind them, and I don’t think they are a good fit for Apple.

hcherry

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2012
The only way this makes sense to me is if Apple is gearing up to be more a platform for gaming — them operating as a game producer seems a less effective use of their capabilities.

From that perspective, EA might be the cheapest entry point into that market (compared to steam, epic, etc.). My perception of the various platforms is that EA/Origin has been more on the struggle bus compared to the others, IMO.

droplink

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2014
I remember people saying that when Google bought YouTube 15 or so years ago.
It's true, but whereas YouTube had a unique proposition that noone had yet understood, EA does not have anything unique.

What it has, is lots of sport games contrats (which bay wroth much on paper, but the renewal of these is not yet decided - such as FIFA deciding to move away from EA..) and lots of IP of games, which it has all but destroyed of making worse and worse iterations of. And the employee cuture and retention is, from the various news, toxic.
Not saying it cannot be saved, but I would hope there are other options.
CD Project Red (a much smaller proposition, I know) would be a better one to start of with to dip into teh games market, or buy the whole Ebracer Group for instance.
Or if the Microsoft-Activision deal falls through, Activision (and Blizzard)

hoo-man-b-ing

Cancelled
Mar 13, 2022
Apple seems to generally buy crucial technology rather than production companies (e.g., game studios, creatives, studios). The notable exception was Beats, but that allowed them to ultimately offer greater product segmentation in a market in which they were already competitive and expand their audience.

Buying a game studio like EA comes with a wealth of headaches (gamer community, mismanagement within EA, further monopoly scrutiny, different company cultures) without a significant upside.

*If* they really wanted some major studio support (and I’m not sure they do…at least yet), I’d see them partnering with someone like Nintendo or Sony on developing a partnership for cross platform games (PS5 and Apple Silicon devices). That would require a much smaller financial investment, enable them to incrementally validate their market and strategy, avoid many of the pitfalls mentioned above and require minimal operational overhead. Plus, those two companies have a closer brand affinity with Apple than EA.

I suspect once Apple Arcade hits critical mass, we’ll see Apple introduce Apple Arcade+, a higher priced subscription tier for higher profile games.

Reactions: Analog Kid

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I still hold a grudge against EA for buying then killing Flight Control. I have no idea what that was about.

Imhotep397

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Fortnight coming to iOS was a big deal for Apple...

I know Apple's general MO is to constantly be at war with other companies either legally, competitively, or both however I just don't see any benefit in continuing to war with Epic regardless of whether Apple acquires EA or not.

There's a lot of money in gaming, a lot of developers, but not a lot of major tools manufacturers. Apple will likely not get the outcome they would prefer in their appeal of the Epic case, but ultimately they should mend fences with Epic if only to avoid putting developers with the most real world game development experience that already have a low opinion of Apple products generally at odds with Apple at a time when Apple has interest in gaming and realistic hardware options available for the kind of gaming that's been popular elsewhere for decades.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I know Apple's general MO is to constantly be at war with other companies either legally, competitively, or both however I just don't see any benefit in continuing to war with Epic regardless of whether Apple acquires EA or not.

There's a lot of money in gaming, a lot of developers, but not a lot of major tools manufacturers. Apple will likely not get the outcome they would prefer in their appeal of the Epic case, but ultimately they should mend fences with Epic if only to avoid putting developers with the most real world game development experience that already have a low opinion of Apple products generally at odds with Apple at a time when Apple has interest in gaming and realistic hardware options available for the kind of gaming that's been popular elsewhere for decades.
Eh Apple could push Unity over Unreal Engine. Not sure if making nice with Epic really matters as much as we want it to in the end.

Reactions: Irishman

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
It's true, but whereas YouTube had a unique proposition that noone had yet understood, EA does not have anything unique.

What it has, is lots of sport games contrats (which bay wroth much on paper, but the renewal of these is not yet decided - such as FIFA deciding to move away from EA..) and lots of IP of games, which it has all but destroyed of making worse and worse iterations of. And the employee cuture and retention is, from the various news, toxic.
Not saying it cannot be saved, but I would hope there are other options.
CD Project Red (a much smaller proposition, I know) would be a better one to start of with to dip into teh games market, or buy the whole Ebracer Group for instance.
Or if the Microsoft-Activision deal falls through, Activision (and Blizzard)

Two quick things:

1. From everything I’ve read, EA decided on the split from FIFA, not the other way around, as FIFA were putting too many limitations on what they could/couldn’t do with the game.
2. Apple shouldn’t buy EA because of (in part) their toxic culture, but SHOULD buy CDPR?!?!?!

droplink

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2014
Two quick things:

1. From everything I’ve read, EA decided on the split from FIFA, not the other way around, as FIFA were putting too many limitations on what they could/couldn’t do with the game.
2. Apple shouldn’t buy EA because of (in part) their toxic culture, but SHOULD buy CDPR?!?!?!
I know what you mean, but yes...

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
Two quick things:

All the major sporting leagues would love to climb into bed with Apple for a variety of reasons, one of which is that there is no company in the world with deeper pockets. If nothing else, these sports leagues are primarily driven by money more than anything else -- even more the fan engagement.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
All the major sporting leagues would love to climb into bed with Apple for a variety of reasons, one of which is that there is no company in the world with deeper pockets. If nothing else, these sports leagues are primarily driven by money more than anything else -- even more the fan engagement.
It would be interesting to see if the sports leagues could get recurring revenue from games directly instead of the licensing fees they currently use.

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
Can you share the source of this information that Apple is interested? Does EA want to be acquired by Apple? Would all of their games run on iOS? Would EA make exclusives for Apple? Does EA only want to do business on one platform? How would this effect their current deal with Microsofts Game Pass? M1 silicon is great if you buy the high end versions people always forget that. Mac gaming currently is less the 1%. People get so emotionally attached to Apple that they don't look at things objectively. Other than to screw Microsoft I don't see how this makes business sense for either company. This would be loss for gamers. Locking things down on one platform always is. Microsoft is guilty of this with Bethesda currently.

I vote no out of pure selfishness. I don’t want Apple to shift any meaningful attention to gaming on macs. I want them to focus on productivity and creativity, and lord knows there’s enough work to do in those areas.
100%. I don't understand this constant reminder that gaming on macs is an absolute need when no one thinks of a mac when they want to play high end games. I agree it can be nice to have alternatives and have a single machine do all things, but if you want a computer to game with, building or buying a PC is your best option.

I personally don't buy a mac to play games on, I have work to do. I bought a PC earlier this year for games and found I didn't value games as much as I thought I did. I think we have too much focus on media consumption culturally, and I can't justify thousands on high-end TVs or GPUs to accomplish such. It's a similar vein of thought to the dip in Netflix subs, not to go too off-topic, but are we really seeing an increased quality of life by having these things?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.