Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to a press release from Imagination Technologies Group, Apple is "subscribing for" 8,200,000 new shares of Imagination Technologies Group which means Apple will have an ownership interest of 3.6% in the company. The press release also reveals that Apple is a licensee of Imagination's technology.

This is the first public confirmation that Apple is both a licensee and investor in the company which is responsible the PowerVR 3D chipset for the iPhone and iPod Touch.

In September, Imagination Technologies announced that they had secured a new "multi-year, multi-use license agreement" with an unnamed company that gave access to both current and future PowerVR graphics and video cores. Apple was speculated to be the licensee at that time.

Combined with the acquisition of P.A. Semi and ARM licensing, it seems Apple has assembled everything it needs to build out new custom iPhones, iPod Touches or other mobile devices.

Article Link: Apple is Licensee and Investor of Imagination Technology

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
Cool beans... but once again I wonder... Apple what about the Mac?!

The Mac seems to be more about cute & small rather than letting the job needed to be done lead to the form. They forgot about updating the 17" Intel MacBook Pro. Was it because they want to make it the Mac Mini of laptops, or are they just going to get rid of it by saying that sales are too small. But if the computer is like the Mac Mini & not updated, there will come a time when no one will want to buy one. This opens up more pressure on computer makers to make computers that can easily be made into a Mac Clone. The lack of Apple support for the Mac will put more & more pressure on 24-25 year loyal Mac Users to go the Clone route.

The looks may not be there but my Intel MacPro is behind my 30" display, so I never see it. The lack of an easy open & close CD/DVD makes that part no good, but that's been with us for years & will probably never change. I'd rather have a computer that will do the job for a reasonable price,rather than one that just looks cute, does the job that Apple mandates, & is priced higher than many people have to spend.

ChipotleApple

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2008
Nice little gain

Did anyone else notice that Imagination Technologies jumped to 51 GBP on this? If Apple is buying these shares @ 39 GBP they just made 150 million on the deal. Wish I owned Imagination stock, but way to go Apple.

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
Did anyone else notice that Imagination Technologies jumped to 51 GBP on this? If Apple is buying these shares @ 39 GBP they just made 150 million on the deal. Wish I owned Imagination stock, but way to go Apple.

That's gotta be a nice little surprise for all the other shareholders. On the other hand, Imagination Technologies stock is right around a 5 1/2 year low. I wish I had a flux capacitor.

eastcoastsurfer

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2007
The Mac seems to be more about cute & small rather than letting the job needed to be done lead to the form. They forgot about updating the 17" Intel MacBook Pro. Was it because they want to make it the Mac Mini of laptops, or are they just going to get rid of it by saying that sales are too small. But if the computer is like the Mac Mini & not updated, there will come a time when no one will want to buy one. This opens up more pressure on computer makers to make computers that can easily be made into a Mac Clone. The lack of Apple support for the Mac will put more & more pressure on 24-25 year loyal Mac Users to go the Clone route.

The looks may not be there but my Intel MacPro is behind my 30" display, so I never see it. The lack of an easy open & close CD/DVD makes that part no good, but that's been with us for years & will probably never change. I'd rather have a computer that will do the job for a reasonable price,rather than one that just looks cute, does the job that Apple mandates, & is priced higher than many people have to spend.

I completely agree. The only problem with your statement is that Apple doesn't care about the long term mac owners. They clearly only want the 'oh shiny' crowd. When it comes to actually getting work done at a reasonable cost, macs fall short is numerous ways.

tgildred

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
I completely agree. The only problem with your statement is that Apple doesn't care about the long term mac owners. They clearly only want the 'oh shiny' crowd. When it comes to actually getting work done at a reasonable cost, macs fall short is numerous ways.

Really? Cause I'm getting a lot of work done on mine. I've been a Mac user since 1999 and my macs (3 total) have all delivered from my iBook to my most recent Macbook Pro. Does that count as long term? I just don't know anymore.

farmboy

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2003
Minnesota
Absolute crap

Right. We've used Macs for business purposes since the 1980's. I'll match our productivity against a Windows shop any time. Besides, Mac productivity has been proven so many times in objective third party studies, how could you miss this?

What constitutes "Apple...[caring] about long term Mac owners". I can usually upgrade our units for years after purchase. Unless, of course, you're a Windows user and think that you absolutely need parallel ports and floppy disks?

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
CA
This will serve to quiet some of the "iphone killer" crowd. With a direct license of ARM and ImgTch cores, Apple will have the ability to make custom combinations no one else will have, and they will be able to develop future iphones and ipods IN PARALLEL with their chipset creation. So, while all other phone makers are waiting for eval boards or specs from the SoC manufacturers, Apple is well on their way to building their new products.

Hopefully, with complete control over the hardware which needs to run the software, we'll get a nice and stable safari :p

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
Cool beans... but once again I wonder... Apple what about the Mac?!
You people, who are always going on and on about Apple divorcing their computer business for iPods and iPhones, have short memories. What about the ALL NEW laptops they just rolled out, built completely new/improved from the ground up? An incredible new 24" LED Monitor? iMacs given a brand new look with AI on the front and great specs in the 2nd Q of this year*? All signs certainly point to a Mac Pro refresh at MW, with probably a refresh of the iMac and the Mac mini.

My perspective is this: Apple wants to do for its WHOLE product line with what it did for the laptops -- Lasers and Water and Aluminum, oh my! They want the fit and finish of everything they sell to be on a completely other level to everything else sold. This takes time, people! C'mon!

Personally, the Apple's line-up is awesome in my opinion. The Mini, yes, the mini -- how I hope it sticks around. Who knows. I love mine. It has never given me a moments trouble and has never crashed for any reason.

We need to realize that as big as Apple's numbers are due iPods and iPhones, it's still a pretty small company. It does a lot and has it fingers in lots of pies. It is not your Father's Apple Computer, Inc.

They forgot about updating the 17" Intel MacBook Pro. Was it because they want to make it the Mac Mini of laptops, or are they just going to get rid of it by saying that sales are too small.
Their decision was pure and simple -- create their own supply and demand. They did it when they went from Titanium to AI -- 17s and 12s first, as they were NEW sizes. By leaving out the 15" (the most popular), they forced those that "couldn't wait" to buy on either end. Once they got as many early adopters as possible, the started shipping the updated 15".

This time, they flipped it, leaving out the most expensive 17". They led with the 13" and 15" to sell more of those. Some people who want a 17" will still buy a 15" and then turn around and get the 17" when it updates, giving or selling their new 15". There are people who have money for these types of purchases. They feel it's like leasing a car. Using the part that you want or need and moving on when you feel like it.

Also, the 17" is definitely a pro computer and the pros want a MATTE screen -- sounds like a great time to move some back stock which, as Tim Cook deems, is "inherently evil".

Should Mercedes cost the same price as a Ford Taurus? They're both cars. Besides -- your "reasonable cost" comment has been run through the ACME computer calculator ad nauseam. Take a Dell or HP or Sony baseline computer and spec it out to what Apple starts with (not a piece of low-powered junk) and Apple tends to be the same or lower priced. Then factor in that the computer your getting is a work of art inside and out --- worth the money. Oh yeah... it runs the best OS in the world, hands down. I buy a new rig every 4-6 years. I buy it to last. It's worth a few extra C-notes to get it right for that length of time.

Remember, hardly anyone simply buys the low tier Dell,... they use it as a starting point to build the computer they really want. You know this, you're just stirring the pot.

JGowan

*Bought the top of the line (24" Display/3.06GHz/4GB Ram/1TB HD) -- some incredible tech.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
missing the point of this timing?

Maybe this is a stretch but I suspect that the timing of this release of information was carefully timed. I take this as an indication that hardware taking advantage of this IP will hit early in the new year. This could be seen as Apple and it's partners getting all their ducks in a row so that investors aren't caught off guard.

IPod Maxi looks like a go. That and the next generation of iPhone's. We are likely to see the next gen iPhone arrive with a faster lower power processor and maybe the rumored iPhone Nano.

The other thing this seems to offer up is the thought that Apple owned IP (Racer and others) could easily be stuffed into a next generation video processor. It will be very interesting indeed to see what 2009 brings from Apple.

Dave

shigzeo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2005
Japan
powervr

ive been a fan since the days of dreamcast. good to see that imagination and apple are combining forces to think different. indeed, powervr pioneered what you see rendering and made excellent use of their limited resources in comparison to at the time: 3dfx.

globalhemp

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2006
United States
Apple's Embedded Mac OS X Plans

Looks like Apple is lining up its ducks ... investing heavy into processors, etc ... perhaps more embedded devices to come?

From this listing, looks like Apple will get into more set-top box (Apple TV) and / or HD Radio. My opinion is ... say goodbye to satellite radio and say HELLO to HD Radio! Its free and the critical mass of people will no longer want to pay for radio.

From the web site, here is what they are into for embedded devices:

* Digital radio and audio
* Mobile multimedia & Personal Media Players (PMP)
* Car navigation/information
* Mobile Internet Devices (MID) & Ultra-mobile PCs (UMPC)
* Digital TV and Set-top Box (STB)
* Mobile TV
Apply some XML and Padora technologies, Apple will make money from "free HD Radio" by allowing users to purchase or add to "Wish List" music they are listening to. Hear an artist on HD Radio on your iPod or iPhone? A link to iTunes will apprear. Hear a radio show like Alex Jones, a link to iTunes podcast will appear for you to subscribe to. Apple may even go a step further and allow Wish Lists for iTunes. That would be nice.
Same goes for watching television. See "The Office," add it to your list. Buy past seasons from iTunes. Be reminded of tv shows that are coming by adding tv and radio schedules to your iCal app, etc!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.