Apple is Lovely

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajohnson253, Feb 21, 2009.

1. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Today I went to the Apple store just to walk around the store as I do whenever I see any apple store. Im looking at my iPhone and notice there are 3 large deep scratches pretty much like Gashed in the screen. There are also several particles of dust under the screen. I talk to a genius and he is like i dont see the dust under the screen but damn your screen is scratched up like i havent seen before. Since you say there is dust under the screen we will just leave it at that, i feel bad for your screen though so were gonna do a swap. I'm like are you serious? He just says yep dont worry about it. 10 minutes later, brand new iPhone in hand and he tossed me in a anti glare protective film and had a guy put it on that is really good at putting them on supposedly. And yes he put it on flawlessly.

Moral of the story, Apple has the best service I've ever come across in any product i've purchased :)

2. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Did he just replace your glass screen only or did he replace your entire phone with a refurb?

3. ajohnson253 thread starter macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Just gave me a new phone. It was in a Regular black box but he didnt let me get anything with it just the phone. I had the charger and everything already anways

4. northy014 macrumors regular

Sounds like he got a brand new iPhone. A similar situation happened to me a few years ago - there was an incident where a customer service rep was rude to me while I was trying to get a problem sorted out with my broken 20gb black and white iPod. They replaced it with a 30gb video iPod - free of charge AND out of warranty.

I would agree, on the whole they have great customer service. But it makes sense - a fresh 3G iPhone is about $170 in parts. But Apple makes more than that in profit for each iPhone AND they want to retain iPhone users as future customers - they make a big profit every time an iPhone user upgrades, and if Apple can created iPhone users for life, think of the App Store revenues and profit per handset that they will make in the future. By replacing his phone, they will have created goodwill towards Apple that might create huge amounts of future sales - not only in iPhone sales, but perhaps mac sales as well...

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yup, those Apple folks tend to take care of their customers and go to great lengths to make it happen. I've had several v1 iPhones and 3G iPhones replaced without difficulty and they also replaced a MacBook and MacBook Air (gave a full refund on a 7 month-old MBAir), and said "we appreciate your business, keep coming back!" And always, with a handshake from the Store Manager...:)

6. fishmoose macrumors 68000

It's when you read things like this you wish there was Apple stores in Sweden to. I doubt you can get the same services at an Apple Premium Reseller or online :(

7. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

You can. It just takes A LOT longer.

8. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Wow you made out well!
    Enjoy your new flawless iPhone! :D

9. samven582 macrumors 6502a

I have five dead pixels and dust two dust specks. Will apple give me a brand new unit? I don't want a refurb. I bought mine last week from At&t

10. shvartsies macrumors regular

samven, with 5 dead pixels they'll for sure replace it.

11. samven582 macrumors 6502a

With a brand new unit? or a refurb?

12. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

We all get refurbs on replacements, I don't know what people say when they say they get a new one, they always say it came out of a blank box and all I got was the phone. There is nothing wrong with a refurb people, The entire exterior is replaced and the insides are tested, and who cares, if it goes bad you take it in again and get another. Mine gets scratched and cracked in 90 days and I just go and get a new one. It's kinda nice actually.

13. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

This thread is fresh air to me. I've heard so many people bash Apple in the last few weeks, I've been getting very annoyed.

I'm glad there are a few people around that see how good Apple is to their customers.

14. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

if you complain enough they'll probably replace it with a new one

but their quality control is so good on their refurbs, id actually rather have a refurb than a brand new phone.

Who cares if your paper is recycled as long as it work just as well as new paper and gets the same job done?

do you see what im saying

15. ajohnson253 thread starter macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Apple is lovely, like this thread says.
    Even if you get a refurbished phone it is no different then a brand new one or else they wouldn't give it to you.
    The genius could have given me a refurbished but he gave me a brand new one without the accessories I told him it didnt matter to me I knew they were the same. Nice guy, he said since its the same to me he will just give me the new one. Good stuff. Thanks Apple if your readin this

16. jmccray macrumors regular

Wow, this thread gave me the courage to go to the Apple Store today. My sound on/off switch had broken about 3 months ago and I just thought I had to live with it, until I saw this thread. Went tho the store and the genius said it was covered under warranty and gave me a brand new phone. UNBELIEVABLE!!!! Thanks for posting!!!!!!!!

17. ajohnson253 thread starter macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

:D
    Glad it worked out.

18. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

With all of this in mind, do you all know if the same warranty covers the Refurbished ones as well? (The ones you buy online through AT&T)

19. jeremykyle macrumors regular

The warranty for a refurb is only 90 days, rather than the standard one year on a new one.

20. Cherry Bomb macrumors newbie

21. calvy macrumors 65816

It's stories like this that make me hate my Apple store. I go in with legit problems and have to argue my way into repairs.

22. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

Not entirely true

if you replace your iphone with a refurbished one, the the warranty is the same as your original phone ( 12 months) or when the 90 days are over ( which ever runs out last)

so if you replaced your phone 11 months after owning it, you would be covered for 60 more days after your 1 year warranty expires

23. samven582 macrumors 6502a

I'am going to give it a shot. If they give are going to give me refurb I'am going to refuse it. I bought the phone lest then two weeks ago. I should not be given a refurb unit. I have disagree on apple QC on refurb units. Yes some units maybe better but in most cases they are worst.

24. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

So you think you should take in an used phone and be given a new one? :rolleyes:

Can you explain to us what's wrong with getting a refurb? I can give you at least one good reason you'd benefit from getting a refurb.

25. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Umm... that seems illogical to me. You're turning in your old one (effectively will become a refurb), why should you not received a refurb in return (a product that has been guaranteed and tested)?