Apple is sending me a new computer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by slice4life, Feb 6, 2011.

1. slice4life macrumors member

After many failed repairs by the apple repair depot and damages caused by the depot there are finally sending me a new mbp.My question is that there might be a an update coming some time what are my options?my mbp just happen to crap out in time when the update may happen soon.I'm wondering I can sell the one apple is sending me on ebay.Let me know if you guys have anything.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Of course you can sell it. If you decide to do so, don't open the box so you can get more off of it.

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Sell it and wait for SB. Consider it a 2000 dollar gift.

4. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

Apple replaced my older MBP and the line was updated within ten days. I brought it into the Apple Store and they were very good about exchanging it. They have a 14 day return policy but have been know to overlook the policy from time to time.

5. slice4life thread starter macrumors member

And the waiting game begins

back where I started last year waiting for this lol

6. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

7. slice4life thread starter macrumors member

yea I did think about it

8. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

As stated above, if you are going to sell it don't open it. You will get a great deal more money out of it.

The question you have to ask yourself is how long can you hold out until the refresh? :)

-P

9. slice4life thread starter macrumors member

I waited a year for the last refresh lets see if I can do it this year.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Which MBP are they hooking you up with?

Either way, I would just use it if I were you. As others mentioned though, you can sell it unopened. Possibly on craigslist for a bit more.

11. slice4life thread starter macrumors member

15-inch: 2.66GHz hi res 7200 harddrive and 4 gig ram how much you think I can get for it?

12. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Your model sans 7200 drive is $2k via Apple refurbished, so you can always get lucky and get more but think most sales happen under $2k.

13. DePaulBlueDemon macrumors regular

DePaulBlueDemon

If you sell it right away, pretty damn close to retail. If you wait until new models are announced you may lose quite a bit, though you'll still be able to sell it no problem to those who are looking for a "deal." However, once new models are announced, eBay and Craiglist will be flooded with product.

Also, you'd be surprised how much money people are willing to pay even for opened Apple products on eBay.

14. DarkVinda macrumors regular

DarkVinda

i was in the same situation my 15" mbp was damaged and the insurance gave me a gift voucher - i never even thought about waiting i just went and got a 13".

i just love em full stop and the 13 is just so sweet...right size for my use - logic is a bit teeny but i only tinker when using this and use my 42" for full blown editing...

next on my list is either apple tv, or a ipad...still got £350 left on my voucher :) dont mind putting the rest to an ipad...but gonna play with my bosses first :D

and there was never any thought of HANGING on and waiting...i didnt have anything i could use in the mean time...my desktop quad has a layer of dust as its wired upto the tv - i got 4 girls to fight with before i can use it...

but after reading loads of forums mainly this one - i didnt fancy the idea of SB having an intel video card....

I KNOW FACT THAT NOT 1 PERSON ON HERE COULD HAVE A SHINY MACBOOK PRO IN A BOX SAT THERE...

the temptation to open it and starts using would be like:

NOT PRESSING THE BIG RED BUTTON :p

get it enjoy it and take care of it...

15. slice4life thread starter macrumors member

that's it for a brand new macbook pro? I seen some on ebay selling for $2,300

16. jenzjen, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011

jenzjen macrumors 68000

Read more carefully.

For eBay, subtract almost 10% from the final value due to the fees you have to pay.

17. slice4life thread starter macrumors member

I could all ways bring it to the apple store and swap it with the new model

18. DePaulBlueDemon macrumors regular

DePaulBlueDemon

Only if a new model is released within the return period.

19. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

They're sending you a NEW machine and you're still not satisfied because it's not the latest updated version...

I probably shouldn't respond to that. :cool:

20. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Only if it is in a retail package, and the update is pretty soon. I've had one replacement come in a plain brown box, so YMMW.

21. molala macrumors 6502a

If you are going to sell, sell it right away. Don't wait for the refresh (as others said) as resale value would be lower.

22. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

23. slice4life thread starter macrumors member

op?

24. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

OP = Original Poster.

25. Windows macrumors member

Windows

Lucky guy.

Yes, wait for Apple to send you the new machine, sell it on ebay 1 or 2 weeks from now but make sure not to open it as this will lower the cost of the machine to some degree (it's like a car).

Sell it for what, 2k?

Wait for the updated MBP come out, buy the model with the best processor, stock RAM, and whatever options they have. Which might run you 1800 or so, buy third party RAM from a trusted dealer online and you'll probably even have some money left over!