Apple is sending me a new computer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by slice4life, Feb 6, 2011.

  1. slice4life macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2011
    #1
    After many failed repairs by the apple repair depot and damages caused by the depot there are finally sending me a new mbp.My question is that there might be a an update coming some time what are my options?my mbp just happen to crap out in time when the update may happen soon.I'm wondering I can sell the one apple is sending me on ebay.Let me know if you guys have anything.
     
  2. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #2
    Of course you can sell it. If you decide to do so, don't open the box so you can get more off of it.
     
  3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

    ECUpirate44

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2010
    Location:
    NC
    #3
    Sell it and wait for SB. Consider it a 2000 dollar gift.
     
  4. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

    tcphoto

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2005
    Location:
    Madison, GA
    #4
    Apple replaced my older MBP and the line was updated within ten days. I brought it into the Apple Store and they were very good about exchanging it. They have a 14 day return policy but have been know to overlook the policy from time to time.
     
  5. slice4life thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2011
    #5
    And the waiting game begins

    back where I started last year waiting for this lol
     
  6. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

    Fubar1977

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2010
    Location:
    North Yorkshire, UK
  7. slice4life thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2011
    #7
    yea I did think about it
     
  8. Pentad macrumors 6502a

    Pentad

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2003
    Location:
    Indiana
    #8
    As stated above, if you are going to sell it don't open it. You will get a great deal more money out of it.

    The question you have to ask yourself is how long can you hold out until the refresh? :)

    -P
     
  9. slice4life thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2011
    #9
    I waited a year for the last refresh lets see if I can do it this year.
     
  10. wordoflife macrumors 604

    wordoflife

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2009
    #10
    Which MBP are they hooking you up with?

    Either way, I would just use it if I were you. As others mentioned though, you can sell it unopened. Possibly on craigslist for a bit more.
     
  11. slice4life thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2011
    #11
    15-inch: 2.66GHz hi res 7200 harddrive and 4 gig ram how much you think I can get for it?
     
  12. jenzjen macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2010
    #12
    Your model sans 7200 drive is $2k via Apple refurbished, so you can always get lucky and get more but think most sales happen under $2k.
     
  13. DePaulBlueDemon macrumors regular

    DePaulBlueDemon

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2010
    #13
    If you sell it right away, pretty damn close to retail. If you wait until new models are announced you may lose quite a bit, though you'll still be able to sell it no problem to those who are looking for a "deal." However, once new models are announced, eBay and Craiglist will be flooded with product.

    Also, you'd be surprised how much money people are willing to pay even for opened Apple products on eBay.
     
  14. DarkVinda macrumors regular

    DarkVinda

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2010
    Location:
    Manchester, UK
    #14
    i was in the same situation my 15" mbp was damaged and the insurance gave me a gift voucher - i never even thought about waiting i just went and got a 13".

    i just love em full stop and the 13 is just so sweet...right size for my use - logic is a bit teeny but i only tinker when using this and use my 42" for full blown editing...

    next on my list is either apple tv, or a ipad...still got £350 left on my voucher :) dont mind putting the rest to an ipad...but gonna play with my bosses first :D

    and there was never any thought of HANGING on and waiting...i didnt have anything i could use in the mean time...my desktop quad has a layer of dust as its wired upto the tv - i got 4 girls to fight with before i can use it...

    but after reading loads of forums mainly this one - i didnt fancy the idea of SB having an intel video card....


    I KNOW FACT THAT NOT 1 PERSON ON HERE COULD HAVE A SHINY MACBOOK PRO IN A BOX SAT THERE...

    the temptation to open it and starts using would be like:

    NOT PRESSING THE BIG RED BUTTON :p

    get it enjoy it and take care of it...
     
  15. slice4life thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2011
    #15
    that's it for a brand new macbook pro? I seen some on ebay selling for $2,300
     
  16. jenzjen, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011

    jenzjen macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2010
    #16
    Read more carefully.

    For eBay, subtract almost 10% from the final value due to the fees you have to pay.
     
  17. slice4life thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2011
    #17
    I could all ways bring it to the apple store and swap it with the new model
     
  18. DePaulBlueDemon macrumors regular

    DePaulBlueDemon

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2010
    #18
    Only if a new model is released within the return period.
     
  19. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2010
    Location:
    California
    #19
    They're sending you a NEW machine and you're still not satisfied because it's not the latest updated version...

    I probably shouldn't respond to that. :cool:
     
  20. jenzjen macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2010
    #20
    Only if it is in a retail package, and the update is pretty soon. I've had one replacement come in a plain brown box, so YMMW.
     
  21. molala macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2008
    Location:
    Cambridge, UK
    #21
    If you are going to sell, sell it right away. Don't wait for the refresh (as others said) as resale value would be lower.
     
  22. docal97 macrumors 6502a

    docal97

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2006
    Location:
    Southampton
  23. slice4life thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2011
    #23
    op?
     
  24. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

    DAMNiatx

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2009
    #24
    OP = Original Poster.
     
  25. Windows macrumors member

    Windows

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2010
    #25
    Lucky guy.

    Yes, wait for Apple to send you the new machine, sell it on ebay 1 or 2 weeks from now but make sure not to open it as this will lower the cost of the machine to some degree (it's like a car).

    Sell it for what, 2k?

    Wait for the updated MBP come out, buy the model with the best processor, stock RAM, and whatever options they have. Which might run you 1800 or so, buy third party RAM from a trusted dealer online and you'll probably even have some money left over!
     

Share This Page