Other Apple is slowing down older iPhones based on battery wear level [MERGED]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by IsaacM, Dec 10, 2017.

1. IsaacM macrumors regular

It has lately been discovered by r/iphone users on reddit that iOS has a secret feature that underclocks your iPhone's processor speed when your phone's battery gets worn out.

People have been noticing their phones becoming really sluggish and slow with time. Previously it was believed it was caused by new versions of iOS, but now it's been discovered that it's actually connected to battery use.

So if you have an iPhone with a battery that has been used quite a bit, there is a big possibility your iPhone has been slowed down in order to keep battery life up.

Here's the original post:

There are almost 500 with people confirming this on their own devices: https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/7inu45/psa_iphone_slow_try_replacing_your_battery/

2. tonybarnaby macrumors 6502a

Seems odd to me that this is just coming out now. I’m not saying I don’t believe it, but wouldn’t someone have discovered this sooner? How many tens of millions of iPhones are out there?

3. PeLaNo macrumors regular

So planned obsolete isn’t real ?This is pretty interesting.

4. IsaacM thread starter macrumors regular

Apparently it's been a "feature" since 10.2.1

There are hundreds of users reporting underclocked processors on their iPhone based on high batter wear level.

While Apple might say they've done this to prolong battery life, it's questionable at best. One could say it's a sneaky way to slow down older devices every 2 years in order to push people into upgrading their iPhones.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 10, 2017 ---
    It's kind of real.

Considering Apple doesn't notify their users that their iPhones have been significantly slowed down due to batter wear level, most people just assume their phones are too old for the new iOS and go for an upgrade.

If Apple was transparent about this feature, I'm sure more people would replace their batteries and continue using their old device at full speed (which they had when they bought the phone).

5. orev macrumors 6502

Now is the time when batteries in those phones would be wearing out, enough to the point that people would notice the slowdown and start to investigate it.

6. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Gee.

Good thing my 6s+ has stayed jailbroken on 9.0.2 for the last 2.2 years.
    Good thing my 4s tops out at 9.3.5
    Good thing I had my iPhone 5 and my daughter's iPhone 5 replaced for the fourth time in May because they are on iOS 10.x

So, if true, another reason for me to continue to hate any iOS above iOS 6.

7. Starship67, Dec 10, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2017

Starship67 macrumors 6502

Starship67

2nd star to the right and straight on til morning
    Cant take post serious with that first word in title.

8. mollyc macrumors 65816

So if you replace the battery does it get faster again?

9. PeLaNo macrumors regular

Maybe they just done that with 6s due to its battery problem.
    I think they have a good intentions but it’s seems like double edge sword here
    --- Post Merged, Dec 10, 2017 ---
    According to that Reddit post.
    When you replace your weared battery,your phone isn’t get underclocked anymore.

10. IsaacM thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, replacing the battery boosts the CPU back to it's original level.

It's quite sad that users have to discover these things on their own instead of Apple being up front about them in the first place.

11. mollyc macrumors 65816

Maybe I should have the battery replaced in my iPad mini 2.

12. kazmac macrumors 603

kazmac

Thanks for posting this, OP. Apple has always been a bit secretive about some things work, so this isn't surprising. Good to know that battery wear is related to the CPU (and ultimately phone) slow downs.

13. BugeyeSTI macrumors 65816

BugeyeSTI

What’s the big deal? If your cars battery was starting to fail, would you wait till you get stranded before you replaced it? If your noticing your phones battery charge isn’t lasting as long or the performance is unusual, all you need is coconut battery or take it to Apple for a battery check. If It’s around 80% capacity, replace it.. My 6S is over two years old and battery capacity is 93%, it performs wonderfully. If it needed a battery, the cost is negligible compared to the stellar performance I’ve had for two+ years.

14. IsaacM thread starter macrumors regular

The problem is people weren't in any way notified about this under the hood change.

Many people purchased new phones thinking their phones are simply outdated.

15. Strelok macrumors 6502a

Strelok

No, this is specific to certain phones. The 6S had that battery problem, so one of the updates slowed down the affected devices to try to mitigate it. Same thing happened with the iPhone 6. I’m almost 100% sure that plus sized phones are not affected at all, neither should 7’s.

16. IsaacM thread starter macrumors regular

People are reporting the same results with their 7 Series.

17. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Most people will replace their car battery. Because they depend on their car to get them where they are going.

But an iDevice? It's easier just to plug it in then it is to make an appointment, go to the store and then wait for the battery to be replaced. You can still use your phone when it's plugged in.

But, if this is true then plugging the phone in because of a bad battery won't correct for the CPU slowdown.

Plugging your car in and driving around is not possible.

18. BugeyeSTI macrumors 65816

BugeyeSTI

I agree most people aren’t tech savvy enough to realize the difference between degraded performance due to a battery on it’s way out or an older device that has had too many iOS updates that it’s hardware can’t handle. My old iPad 3rd gen should of never had iOS 9 installed by me. It crippled it

19. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Apple knows it's average user, which is generally not anyone on this forum.

In knowing it's user Apple banks on their lack of knowledge and a lot of times on their intentional ignorance. Most of these users don't want to know anything about how the tech they hold in their hand works. They don't care.

Apple can take advantage of that and often does. But they also can dictate to this type of customer who believes that whatever Apple does or says is nothing to be questioned.

As long as Apple is taking care of them (as they see it) and their privacy Apple is pretty much allowed to do whatever they wish to that customer. These people don't care because they'd rather not think. Thinking involves effort and that's not something they are willing to give to a device whose technology they could care less about.

20. JM macrumors 6502a

JM

https://9to5mac.com/2017/12/10/iphone-6s-slow-down-battery-fix/

So, hopefully this won't turn into a bloodbath....

How does this not prove that Apple has no problem slowing older devices for personal gain?

Objectively: yes, Apple wants to manage the power when the battery gets old.

But does this not give evidence towards the claim that Apple would slow older devices to encourage purchasing of a new one? (Which could be in a way called... GASP!... Planned Obsolescence?)

I'm not saying it's proof that Apple subscribes to Planned Obsolescence; I'm saying that this is pretty good evidence that they are capable of it, and have behaved in a way that would help one believe that they do.

*and please read the whole article. I'm not a wacko tin foil man, so don't treat me like one.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So everyone not knowing about it instead of spending $30-50 for a battery they end up spending $700+ for a new iPhone.
    Sounds like a very shady business model that makes them billions...

22. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

So more money to be spent on a new battery or a force into a new device. Either way Apple has the revenue!

23. cbreze macrumors 6502

cbreze

Pretty sneaky way for Apple to get the uninformed masses to get a new phone. And way to go Apple for not being forthcoming with this info.
    And , if they didn't have this happen people would just be using their phones as usual thinking they maybe should get a new battery or phone(their choice)instead of being mislead into thinking it's new phone time.
    This just totally rubs me the wrong way. The new "X" threw me off the iphone to an extent as it is but this confirms my 7 will be my last. When the slowdown comes to my 7 then it's consider it may be new battery time. Thanks for the post OP. A real eye opener.

24. BugeyeSTI macrumors 65816

BugeyeSTI

I think the right thing for Apple to do would be have a simple popup to tell the user that cpu performance is being reduced due to an issue with the battery and to have it checked. They seem to love popups for everything else, this type of popup would actually be useful and appreciated

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If this actually can be proven it should be a big lawsuit.
    Cause people with devices that the battery degrades over a few years do experience slow downs and bad performance intentionally done by the manufacturer.
    Having no idea that if they replace their battery their device will run much better. But if Apple does that and doesn't tell anyone about it in order for people to get frustrated with bad performance and slowdowns to force their hand to buy new iphones.
    Then that is very bad IMO.