Apple is taking refunds BUT are they allowing replacements?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bobright, Jul 3, 2010.

1. bobright macrumors 601

i dont want to return mine, but i'd like to try another one if thats possible.

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Why? If the reason you are wanting to return it is the RF/Antenna problem, they are all built the same. Do not believe the people here who say their is perfect as they are either in denial (likely) or live next door to a cell tower. I have tried 4 different iPhones and they all do the exact same thing. What a shame!

3. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Yes, Apple has always allowed replacements. If there is truly an issue they will replace the phone under the 1 year warranty. However, I'm not sure if they'll replace it for an "antenna problem" since its a 'non-issue".

4. ARH1956 macrumors 6502

You've tried 4 out of the 1.6 million sold, 0.0000025 % of them, and can positively state that all iPhone 4s have the same problem that yours has. That's funny.

5. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Apple store replaced my first iP4 (phone kept freezing) with a brand new, sealed retail boxed phone...they were very nice and accomadating (especially for being such selfish, lying capitalist pigs)...:)

6. fs454 macrumors 68000

He can, because it isn't a manufacturing defect, it is the way the phone and the antenna are designed. Seriously, how can anyone deny this?

7. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

The AnandTech test/review stated that the iP4 held on to low signal calls "much better" than the 3Gs or any other iPhone released to date...
    I don't think it is a stretch to say that "some" people are happy with their iP4 even inlow signal areas...
    Clearly, you've had a problem and so have others, but calling people that don't liars is rather extreme don't you think?
    :)

8. falconeight Guest

falconeight

My phone works perfectly. But thanks for assuming that you speak for everyone.

9. Eric-PTEK macrumors 6502

My iPhone 4 replacement has been perfect, 2 days now, not a single dropped call, email works, data works.

Zero problems. My original phone was a flaming POS.

I'll stand by the my opinion that there was a bad run of phones and Apple is being quiet about it. They found a problem, fixed it, and just kept shoving them out the door.

10. fs454 macrumors 68000

Your phone isn't "unaffected" by the problem though, your use pattern/location/use of a case or not/etc has made it a non-issue for you, which is a good thing by all means. You still have the same antenna "issue" that, if given to someone having problems with the way they use their phone(naked and in their own geographic location), would show up.

11. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

LOL! :D

12. Eric-PTEK macrumors 6502

I did this last night on my new phone, no matter how I hold it I don't get a signal drop, at all.

I had over 45 dropped calls in the past week, same locations for them all, new phone no dropped calls, no internet issues.

On 2 phones, both my wife's and mine.

Apple made a change...

13. fs454 macrumors 68000

I don't believe Apple made a change. That would be a BIG deal as they'd willingly have these dud phones on the market without telling current owners this. How many bars do you have in your location when doing this?

14. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

So in just a couple weeks a whole production line has been changed, the product made and shipped to vendors? Oh and then purchased by you?

Wow Apple is really on top of things!

15. Eric-PTEK macrumors 6502

I got a replacement, plain black box. Not a new unit.

Seriously, have ANY of you ever worked in manufacturing before? I have, and running changes like this happen, they happen all the time. Who knows what the change is.

All my problems with my old retail phone were with full service, 5 bars and 3G.

The new phone has 5 bars nearly all the time too and no dropped calls.

Instead of arguing with people who do not seem to understand how manufacturing works why not explain why 2 very early phones had nothing but problems no matter what ATT and Apple did to them?

Why I walked into an Apple store with hardly a bit of talking got 2 replacements and those 2 replacements work fine?

If you can read then you can tell there are a large group of people who have problems with their phones that goes beyond this antenna issue. Instead of taking a logical approach everyone lets their emotions get involved. Look at the facts, the entire situation, and forget anything a corporation ever tells you as being the truth.

You'll get farther.

16. Eric-PTEK macrumors 6502

Just to be more detailed.

I had full service at every location.

About 1/2 of the dropped calls happened in South Lyon MI about 900 ft from the tower.

The other 2 1/4's were in Ann Arbor Michigan and Novi Michigan. There is a dead zone at the I-96/275 interchange in Novi(by the Apple store) but thats normal. My 3GS would drop there too.

Not just dropped calls but service issues, internet, data, etc.

Now with the new phones, in the exact same locations, zero problems at all. Last night I walked from outside, inside Briarwood Mall, usually a horrible reception area, and out again while on the phone with no problems.

17. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

So you are saying a major change in the manufacturing of an electrical product can be designed, manufactured, shipped, and the customer have it in two weeks?

That is some great work. We should be applauding Apple!

What did you manufacture? How often did changes like this happen?

18. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

From what I have read, the plain black box units are brand new...

19. Schweez macrumors newbie

Even if they quietly fixed it, every single display one at the apple store had the problem

20. Eric-PTEK macrumors 6502

Sigh....no it means that a supplier could have made a sub-par part, Apple built a bunch of phones with those parts, found the problem, and the supplier fixed the issue. However due to demand, pipeline, launch deadlines, whatever they decided to sell the phones regardless.

Bottom $ line it might have been cheaper to ship the defective product, fix it later, and move on. Considering the blind allegiance, and seemingly lack of common sense, most of their fans have this seems to have been the right move.

Again, have you ever worked in manufacturing? This kind of stuff happens all the time, especially in the auto industry. Why do you think when they have automotive recalls there are VIN ranges :confused:

21. Eric-PTEK macrumors 6502

No doubt, I asked that question.

Could be from a different production lot.

22. tianh macrumors regular

hey Eric, could you let me know what week your phone is? I think you can tell from the serial number.. 4th and 5th digits are the week.

23. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

So it happens a lot that a company makes a item that they know is defective? Can't they get in trouble?

No I'm not in manufacturing.....I'm just a good ole Army grunt. Still I'm shocked that you say this happens all the time.

What did you manufacture?

24. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Check the serial...if it starts with an 8 IIRC, it is a new unit...I think I read that if the unit's serial starts with either a 5 or a K it is a refurb...An Apple Genius told me that they don't have any refurb units yet...

25. xmtgx macrumors regular

Yea, see the problem here is mine works flawlessly no matter where I go, even in places other phones on att tend to not get service.. sooo...