Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sblasl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2004
Heber Springs, AR
Per Appleinsider:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...one_unlocking_may_cause_permanent_damage.html

"Apple said Monday that many of the unauthorized iPhone unlocking programs available on the Internet cause irreparable damage to the iPhone's software, which will likely result in the modified iPhone becoming permanently inoperable when a future Apple-supplied iPhone software update is installed.

The Cupertino-based company said it plans to release the next iPhone software update, containing many new features including the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store, later this week.

"Apple strongly discourages users from installing unauthorized unlocking programs on their iPhones," the company wrote in a statement to the press. "Users who make unauthorized modifications to the software on their iPhone violate their iPhone software license agreement and void their warranty."

Apple added that the "permanent inability to use an iPhone due to installing unlocking software is not covered under the iPhone's warranty.""

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Apple Issues Warning on iPhone Unlocking

Apple has issued a statement today that programs available for the iPhone to SIM unlock it could cause "irreparable damage to the device."
The maker of the Mac computer, the iPod digital music player and iTunes online store said that, once an Apple- supplied software update is installed on the iPhone, it "will likely result in the modified iPhone becoming permanently inoperable."

Apple plans to release the next iPhone software update later this week.

Article Link

tkidBOSTON

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2005
The Hub of the Universe
So the question that begs to be asked, is Apple doing this intentionally or is it just an inevitable part of the software update process??

Regardless, I guess this just means that anyone with a hacked iPhone won't be installing Apple updates.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Well, at least they're telling us now. Well, at least I was a good sheep and went with AT&T. :p

Actually I was already on AT&T way before I got the iPhone so, it wasn't a problem.

Anyway, this is hardly surprising. So where is this update anyway?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
since when can you not do a restore of the software to get it back to normal?

A restore doesn't reverse the unlock. The unlock changes the modem firmware I believe... but regardless, it is restore resistant.

arn

GodzPeepz

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2007
It sound's like a warning before another firmware update. :)

The only thing I have on my phone are 3rd party updates.:D

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
why is apple being so mean about this? what does it really matter? some extra revenue for them off of selling to at&t? thats just stupid. apple doest partner with any ISP for computers. "you can only use an apple computer with such and such ISP" come on now.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
"irreparable damage to the device."

Irreparable damage to their yearly profits more like :p

But yeah, you hack/unlock/generally mess about with the iPhone in ways they don't like, you're stuffed if something goes pear-shaped and you'll not be wanting to go near any updates. I think any reasonable person would realise this.

Though I don't really believe any software issue could irreparably damage the hardware to be honest, anyone got any idea how that would be possible?

sblasl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2004
Heber Springs, AR
What was left out here from the announcement by Apple is the following:

"The Cupertino-based company said it plans to release the next iPhone software update, containing many new features including the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store, later this week. "

SRSound

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2005
Is this exclusive to unlocking programs or does having any 3rd party app make a phone susceptible?

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
No big deal

Ya.It's called common sense.

Just reset the iphone to original factory settings before installing the update. After that (or shortly thereafter) unlock the phone again (after updates are made to iFuntastic, et.al.) and reinstall your apps.

adom

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2006
UK
haha good!

its like the xbox 360 updates all over again! manufacturers 1 - hackers 0! :D

jbuba

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2005
does this apply to all hacks? or just unlocking? It was my understanding that if i installed apptapp and other software that is associated with it, then all i had to do was perform a restore in iTunes and my phone would be back to factory settings?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
does this apply to all hacks? or just unlocking? It was my understanding that if i installed apptapp and other software that is associated with it, then all i had to do was perform a restore in iTunes and my phone would be back to factory settings?

right... seems this just refers to SIM Unlocking your iphone.

arn

ct-scan

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2006
Chicago, IL
Bad wording?

I'm not sure if the problem is as extreme as they are saying, but I can see them fighting to keep their phones off of networks other than AT&T. So the "updated" phones will break all the SIM unlocking, bringing the phone to the updated, yet virgin state.

If all your upgrading is the software, I don't see what permanent damage can be done.

But, I USE AT&T, so...no worries really ;-)
(Except that I'll have to remod my software for all the 'cool' stuff after every upgrade...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.