Apple: It's all about the screen, stupid.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by realitycheck69, Oct 3, 2011.

1. realitycheck69 macrumors member

Somehow Apple lost their way, just like in the 90's with the PC wars. It's obvious that the screen is the biggest desire for the new iphone. Apple being arrogant and not giving the people what they want. Tsk tsk.

Apple needs US, not the other way around. Funny how history repeats itself.

2. eaglesteve macrumors 6502

You're exaggerating, but hey, as long as you're campaigning for larger screen, you have my support.

3. ah123 macrumors regular

I'd like a bigger screen, too, but I don't think anything Apple does is arrogance - they merely produce and sell a phone (and other products, but we'll just talk about the phone here). They don't owe anything to anyone other than a phone which works. That's what people pay for.

If they put out a dud phone and sales fall, then it is on Apple - but you'll see countless people here getting angry as if it is their livelihood on the line. I don't understand why people get angry at Apple for not putting x functionality into the phone. You haven't paid anything up front for the phone so you have no say. If you want the new one when it comes out, buy it. If not, then don't.

4. shadrap macrumors 6502

I agree, they will lose percentage points over this.

5. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

The iPhone 4 is the worlds best selling phone. I don't think they have screwed anything up yet...

6. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

7. nfl46 macrumors 603

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

I think the whole forum wants a larger screen (4" and above). You are not alone. Retina is nice and all, but I'll rather take a dip in screen resolution for a much larger screen. I guess we'll find out in the morning.

8. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

But look at it this way. We get 'Assistant' instead. :rolleyes:

9. thewitt, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2011

thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Go ahead and give me a larger screen, but not a larger phone.

10. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

You're making claims based off of something that doesn't technically "exist" yet.

11. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

1. they lost their way. How? The event isnt until tomorrow and your guessing like everyone else. Also, last time i looked (which was days ago), only IBM are close to them with Microsoft a 1/3rd behind in 3rd..

2. Arrogant? Because your not getting a screen you want from a company who NEVER said they were giving you one...:rolleyes: grow up.

3. lol...you might actually be wrong because Apple actually has more money than the US Government, so the US could actually do with a little loan from Timothy and the boys...

4. I hope history doesnt repeat itself because that would mean we all have to endure another one of your posts.

12. GoCubsGo, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2011

GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Agreed. My DX is terrible in my pocket. I love it in hand, but it's not always in hand. I don't care for a larger phone and of the two things I miss about having an iPhone, the size is one of those things.

13. Widashy macrumors regular

Widashy

Most people don't like big screen more than 4" but a large chunk wants as large as 4.5" and that's what Samsung, HTC, Sony, Motorola etc are giving to them. Galaxy Prime, Droid HD, etc already having 1280x720 Resolution on 4.65" with 285ppi will beat the crap out of iPhone 4S. You all certainly don't like anyone speaking bad about iPhone but that's the truth. Tomorrow is D-Day for Apple.

14. powers74 macrumors 68000

powers74

Correction

"It's all about the User Experience, stupid"

Hope that helps. ;)

15. eaglesteve macrumors 6502

And the right screen size is one of the most important elements of user experience. That's why it need to go bigger without impacting pocketability.

Hope that helps. ;)

16. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

The User Experience is already perfected! Agreeing with the OP that most of us have been tirelessly waiting for a bigger screen. If that was the only mod for the upcoming iPhone I would be incredibly happy!

17. eaglesteve macrumors 6502

Why larger screen with lower DPI is better?

Ive heard over and over again why it is better to retain 3.5 inch screen and have 326 dpi instead of 4 inch screen with 288 dpi. I disagree with this, and would like to explain to you why, by comparing an iPhone screen to a partially covered iPad screen.

Our iPad screen has 768 pixels in 148 mm on the short side, and 1024 pixels over 197 mm on the long side. To make our iPhone 4 (which has 640 pixels on the short side and 960 pixels on the long side) comparable to iPad in total pixel count, I'm going to ask you to cover up 25 mm on the short side and 12 mm on the long side

Now, you tell tell me which screen you would prefer to use? The uncovered portion of the iPad screen having 960x640 pixels left, or the iPhone screen which also has 960x640 pixels count?

To me, it's a no brainer, iPad screen is better. Tying is easier, buttons are easier to press, pictures are more fun to look at, and text are so much easier to read, despite the fact that I can see the dots.

18. henchosbandito macrumors member

Just thinking about screen size in terms of development. If the screen size was to change (larger), would Apple have to lower the dpi and keep the aspect ratio?

Everything that has been developed for iPhone so far has been developed at the same aspect ratio (2x3), so the progression from the 320x640 screen to the 960x640 screen was fine because it was the same aspect.

So would a larger screen would need to drastically raise or slightly lower the dpi to maintain the aspect ratio, or adopt a new one? Considering the sheer amount of apps developed for this aspect, is this likely?

I hope that makes sense, it does it my head.

19. oshia86 macrumors regular

I thought we weren't allowed to refer to people as stupid on this forum, because we are all a bunch of children? I believe I got a pm about this, from this very thread. Oh, the ironing!

20. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Don't care much about a bigger screen. 4" would be nice but anything more can get a little annoying - unless the phone is ultra thin. Either way, more interested in the spec bump and better camera (low level lighting quality pictures is such a huge feature nobody talks about).

21. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

So you'd go for a laggy phone with unfriendly/unintuitive UI, poor memory management with compromised battery life due to poor coding with a big screen? I'm also not sure how this is "obvious," myself and many other don't really feel the need to carry a brick around in our pockets, assuming said brick can even fit in one.

----------

Yeah, I guess telling someone to make their own decisions = telling them they're stupid and results in a suspension, but actually calling someone stupid is fine.

22. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

Wow, I wonder how Apple ever survived without your clarity of view and forecasting of trends. I am sure Steve Jobs was just waiting for those nuggets of wisdom.....

Perhaps they should put Tim aside and let you run their company into the ground. Mind you, I guess since they are doing so terrible you can't do any worse......

PS the reason for my tone, is not your viewpoint, it's how you expressed it.

23. Nachoconqueso macrumors regular

Ironing? Where did you get educated because that's really stupid.

24. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

I think no I know the whole forum doesn't want a 4 inch display.

I wouldnt mind a larger screen but it isn't a big deal breaker, if Apple can keep the 326 ppi and make a larger iPhone cool if not then I hope they don't.

25. oshia86 macrumors regular