Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

F/reW/re

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2001
Norway
Lets hope it's a better piece of software than the unbelivable crappy coded QuickTime Player for Windows!

Vonnie

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Side effect of iTunes for Windows?

Originally posted by JoeRadar
(1) To blunt the tendency of web site developers to create IE-only web sites; (2) to get Windows users to think more about Apple products.

But Mozilla, Firebird, Opera run on Windows. And eventhough they are allot better than IE, people aren't using them. I seriously doubt that Apples Safari for Windows would change that.

JayBee

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2003
Re: you can find aac player for win

Originally posted by Wash!!
If the ipod plays wma files is just like saying that ms format is the best...

blah blah more self contradictory hogwash

Oops! Didn't actually realise that you're just trolling!

Silly me.

Mr. MacPhisto

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Side effect of iTunes for Windows?

Originally posted by Vonnie
But Mozilla, Firebird, Opera run on Windows. And eventhough they are allot better than IE, people aren't using them. I seriously doubt that Apples Safari for Windows would change that.

But none of them have the credibility of Apple. As many recent articles have articulated, Apple is well respected and well known, especially by today's youth culture. As of right now, the big 2 browsers in the PC world don't have built-in popup blocking or the simplistic and intuitive interface of Safari. If Apple is looking for stronger PC exposure, Safari may be a fine idea for port. I'd actually consider eventually having a free suite of software: iTunes for Windows, Safari for Windows, and Apple Mail for Windows (for its easy junk blocking). Exposure for Apple is important so that they can give people a compelling reason to switch - and keep their image solid for PC users. They currently don't put out anything for the PC except Quicktime, and it'd be best if they can do better than that. Apple is a hardware company, but they also make amazing software.

Vonnie

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Side effect of iTunes for Windows?

Originally posted by Mr. MacPhisto
As of right now, the big 2 browsers in the PC world don't have built-in popup blocking or the simplistic and intuitive interface of Safari. If Apple is looking for stronger PC exposure, Safari may be a fine idea for port. I'd actually consider eventually having a free suite of software: iTunes for Windows, Safari for Windows, and Apple Mail for Windows (for its easy junk blocking). Exposure for Apple is important so that they can give people a compelling reason to switch - and keep their image solid for PC users.

Mozilla, Opera, Firebird all have built-in pop up blocking. They have had it even before Safari existed. IE is pretty much the only one that doesn't offer popup and ad-blocking.

An intuitive interface is mainly because of the consistency with other applications. Safari may be pretty consistent with other OSX applications, but it would stick out in a windows environment.

Seeing what kind of crap people install on their computers, I seriously doubt that people care about the image of the company. Heck, they are using Microsoft Windows ;)

I also doubt that Safari would be as fast on windows, than it is on mac os x. You would have to emulate a big part of cocoa. Any G3/G4/G5 specific optimisations are lost, design decissions based on the intimate knowledge of the operating system is rendered worthless.

I also doubt that people would be more inclined to switch to an Apple, if they have all Apples software for free. Apples software is one of the main reason people switch to a mac. The reason people would switch, is because they can do more things, more easily than on their current PC.

Finally, what would the existing Apple customer base prefer? A new, innovating Apple application/OS for Mac OS X, or an application they can't use because it runs on Windows. Development costs money, so Apple can't do everything all at the same time. Would you like to wait another year for Panther, so Windows users have another choice in browsers?

F/reW/re

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2001
Norway
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Side effect of iTunes for Windows?

Originally posted by Vonnie
I also doubt that Safari would be as fast on windows, than it is on mac os x. You would have to emulate a big part of cocoa. Any G3/G4/G5 specific optimisations are lost, design decissions based on the intimate knowledge of the operating system is rendered worthless.
Mozilla FireBird and Opera is way faster than Explorer on Windows so I really don't see why Safari would be slow.

I totaly agree that Apple shouldn't port all their software to Windows. I like working with Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash and Dreamweaver much more on Windows.(Mostly because how Window max out the workspace and the UI doesn't look that glossy on Windows.) If I had Safari and iTunes for windows there wouldn't be anything I would need my Mac for.

BOOMBA

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by Flowbee
This will be the first time a lot of Windows users will actually use an Apple application (other than watching an occasional quicktime video). Let's hope it 'just works.'

I agree.
But what are the odds Apple can do it?

MICROSOFT can't even make software that doesn't crash on their OS.

F/reW/re

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2001
Norway
Originally posted by BOOMBA
I agree.
But what are the odds Apple can do it?

MICROSOFT can't even make software that doesn't crash on their OS.
Neither can Apple. My Apple Apps on my iBook crashes (unexpctly quits) more often than any apps crash on my Windows-machine.

Judging by how QuickTime works on Windows, any app Apple develops for Windows will suck!

Let's hope the new guy Apple hired knows he's stuff!

BOOMBA

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2001
Really?
How much RAM do you have?
I feel OSX needs 512 MB min.
Seems like a lot for an iBook, but I don't see a way around it.
as for stability...

I find our dual Xeon BOXX PC running XP crashes 2 times daily.

Windows Media Player seems more unstable than Quicktime on it.

And try to use Macromedia Director on this thing without it hanging up and needing a reboot every 3 hours.

elmimmo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2002
Spain
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Side effect of iTunes for Windows?

Originally posted by F/reW/re
Mozilla FireBird and Opera is way faster than Explorer on Windows.

That is plainly and absolutely false. They might RENDER pages faster, but the application themselves are way slower than IE. On a PC powerful enough so that neither IE, FB or Moz are resource-restrained, that problem might disappear, making all applications behave equally fast (and thus making FB and Moz seem like an even better option because they still render pages faster). But use a Pentium 233 w 160 MB of RAM like the one I am using right now to write this, and you will definitely want to do it in IE. IE flies in this machine and FB, while being usable, chokes (and Apple's QuickTime turns a big load of unusable ****).

This is the way it is.

Ibjr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2002
Eastern seaboard
Originally posted by syrreg
Good. Then they can STOP distributing their direct competitor's software with every iPod!

What? Direct competitor must be singular, and so it has to be Windows Media. MM’s direct music is a joke in the PC world, they are a competitors but its disingenuous to claim they are direct competitors. Would you claim HandEra was a direct competitor to Sony?

Mason

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2003
Sorry if this has been posted before, but there is more confirmation that iTunes for Windows is coming out this week. An article in the New York Times has the following quote:

Apple said last month that the iTunes store had sold 10 million songs in its first four months of operation, about half of which were sold as full albums. The company plans to offer the service to the much larger market of Windows PC users this week.

Looks like the announcement is almost 100% guaranteed to be this week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.